Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Swinney defends how he treated punter
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Swinney defends how he treated punter

Dec 10, 2015, 10:05 AM

WATCH: Swinney defends how he treated punter

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL.

Dec 10, 2015, 10:11 AM

It's a man's game. You mess up you get chewed out. I guarantee he gave him a hug after the win. That's just the way it works. If you don't like it, don't watch it! You people probably argue for participation trophies too.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL.

Dec 10, 2015, 10:43 AM

The world is a sadder place nowadays because of all the coddling that is expected. I know, let's give him a cookie, some milk and a participation trophy for his foolish act. Teasdale knew he went rogue, and Dabo needed to let him know he stepped outside the lines. Dabo did a great job of making his point, and Teasdale probably learned a very valuable lesson from his very stupid, and potentially costly, decision. How low has the country sunk? Players get chewed out for insubordinate acts or for missing assignments all the time. It makes them remember to do their jobs right the next time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the world would be a better if people were held accountable

Dec 10, 2015, 11:57 AM

for their actions. My son and I both played football and were laughing saying that Dabo was "coaching" that guy!! Way to go Dabo and congratulations on being Coach of the Year!!

My two HSFB coaches, the late Walter English and

Dec 10, 2015, 12:21 PM

Butch Jacobs went off like that all the time and we loved those men. Then we would have to see the DC, Coach Richardson, after practice for some attitude adjustment along the lines of duck walking 100 yards and back, buddy carries length of field, and gassers for an hour. Lord knows what coaches like that would hear about their methods today.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: My two HSFB coaches, the late Walter English and

Dec 12, 2015, 10:27 AM

We did the same type things for mis-steps when I was at Clemson. "Dawn Patrol" was a standard punishment for lots of issues that needed discipline. I laugh at the appaul we see from society today who are so worried that little Johnny's feelings may get hurt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah little Johnny may not be cut out for football, it's a

Dec 18, 2015, 11:48 AM

mans game!

Exactly! If what Dabo did was wrong, then using

Dec 10, 2015, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL. ]

that same standard would disqualify most of the great coaches in the history of college football.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes they are...

Dec 10, 2015, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL. ]

That was a mental mistake, not a physical mistake by Andy and anyone who has played any sport on HS level or above KNOWS that a mental error is 100 times worse than a physical one. When it could kill your team is gets even worse. Dabo did EXACTLY what needed to be done and what any coach worth a #### would have done. It is amazing to me, as a HS teacher and parent, how many coaches do more of what parents should be doing and that is holding kids accountable for things in life and ripping their ##### when need be. Thank goodness Dabo is our HC. I truly believe he is the best HC in the nation hands down.

Re: Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL.

Dec 10, 2015, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL. ]

Hey bubba, who's responsible for saying "yes" to giving little snot-nosed idiots participation trophies? Who fostered this generation of entitlement? Well let me see --- that would have been the Boomers. You know, the generation we all applaud for its foresightedness, moderation & civic responsibility. Oh wait.

We need to be busting someone's ###, for sure. Let's start with the parents who never learned/knew how to say no...or who were so entitled themselves that THEIR KID wasn't NOT going to get a trophy after they paid THEIR MONEY.

Thoughts?

Boomers are 70 now...

Dec 10, 2015, 4:21 PM

these are their children's children.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frank Howard and Danny would've made this chewing out

Dec 10, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL. ]

look like a Garden Club party !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I played for Wilhelm.......

Dec 10, 2015, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Are people really that soft...? IT'S FOOTBALL. ]

......at this level, there are no safe zones for snowflakes.

Great explanation ... should put it to bed, but, it won't.

Dec 10, 2015, 10:22 AM

People see what they want to see ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He chewed him out and then sent him back out there

Dec 10, 2015, 10:25 AM

If I was Andy, I would much rather take an a$$ chewing and then get a chance to redeem myself than get benched.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He chewed him out and then sent him back out there

Dec 10, 2015, 10:38 AM

Heck, I though he chewed Mark Fields out worse later in the game for the personal foul penalty. I did notice one thing about the punter that seems to be more prevalent with these kids now days...lack of eye contact. I struggle with this with my own son. IMO had Teasdall looked Coach eye to eye and took his tongue lashing it wouldn't have carried on as long as it did. He knew he messed up. He's a punter, trust me he's mentally tough. He probably said much worse to himself.

Re: He chewed him out and then sent him back out there

Dec 10, 2015, 10:44 AM [ in reply to He chewed him out and then sent him back out there ]

He knew he deserved it. So did his parents, I bet.

lol... parents probably gave him more of an ear full later!***

Dec 10, 2015, 12:54 PM

Re: lol... parents probably gave him more of an ear full later!***

Dec 12, 2015, 10:28 AM

If they are decent parents, they surely did.

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Swinney defends how he treated punter

Dec 10, 2015, 10:38 AM

I said from the moment it happened that it was a very selfish act. You react one way when a mistake is made or when its poor execution or dropped passes or fumbles. Football is a team game an Teasdale was only thinking of himself at that moment and Dabo addressed it appropriately.
Now Media move along there is nothing to see here!

Dec 10, 2015, 10:45 AM

Well said!

This may have been discussed alreay.Typical UNC article

Dec 10, 2015, 10:39 AM

How Dabo Swinney’s bad moments marred a great ACC title game

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/college/football/article48808445.html

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looks like a UNC prof got an early Christmas present, a

Dec 10, 2015, 11:34 AM

thesaurus. In my experience, people who write using flowery words that scream "I'm smarter than you are", usually aren't.
Nice touch to include that he was some sort of teaching award winner too.

Sincerely,

CubMD
4th grade star student award winner

Just upset that no one shows up for his classes. ***

Dec 10, 2015, 1:31 PM [ in reply to This may have been discussed alreay.Typical UNC article ]

nm

Re: This may have been discussed alreay.Typical UNC article

Dec 12, 2015, 9:13 AM [ in reply to This may have been discussed alreay.Typical UNC article ]

Perhaps, Prof., you need to write a few articles about your own university and it's sports teams, especially in the area of African American Studies courses. People who live in glass houses..................!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This may have been discussed alreay.Typical UNC article

Dec 17, 2015, 4:49 PM

Bet this professor has plenty of participation trophies at home......

He shouldn't have to defend anything. It's his team.***

Dec 10, 2015, 10:44 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: He shouldn't have to defend anything. It's his team.***

Dec 10, 2015, 11:07 AM

They would not dare ask Nick Saban that question..... Dabo explained.. correctly but should have just shut it down completely

Just gonna leave this here for the house coots

Dec 10, 2015, 11:04 AM

Dec 10, 2015, 11:20 AM

Don't know of any coach , at any point in history that wouldn't have lost it on that play. 4 and 6 maybe if your on the 45, but 4 and 15? You don't try that. It was a horrible play. I don't fault Dabo for doing what he did. That was the craziest thing I've seen a player do on his own.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

I don't think the punter was aware of down and distance...

Dec 10, 2015, 1:04 PM

I think he saw the line-of-scrimmage chain marker and thought it was the first down marker. You can kinda tell by the way his running changes when he realized where the first down ACTUALLY was!
I did this in high school once, but I was also a running back. I scored a TD and was still blasted by my coach(who was also my youth pastor). Spent the rest of the game on the bench.

It looked like the punt was about to get blocked.

Dec 10, 2015, 11:41 AM

There was a strong rush from the right side which
seems to be why he took off to the left and then
would have had to kick it ackwardly or just run.
I think he just got caught in a bad, no win situation.

Re: It looked like the punt was about to get blocked.

Dec 10, 2015, 11:53 AM

Has the punter said anything about this play? What was his perspective?

Dec 10, 2015, 11:55 AM [ in reply to It looked like the punt was about to get blocked. ]

I can still smell the cigarette smoke from those big fingers that had a hold of my
facemask while I was being chewed out for some bone head thing I did on the field .,

But I got better ,.. You young ones should watch The Junction Boys movie .,

When I played they wouldn't let you have a drink of water in August ,.two a day practices .,

They said water was not good for you .,

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Water's for the weak!" I remember those speaches...***

Dec 10, 2015, 1:06 PM

Re: "Water's for the weak!" I remember those speaches...***

Dec 10, 2015, 1:33 PM

Speaches are those like peaches?

Dec 12, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Re: It looked like the punt was about to get blocked. ]

I remember those days very well, plus they made us take salt tablets!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw how Dabo showed some luv the next day....

Dec 10, 2015, 12:53 PM

...he handed him a slice of pizza but mind you it was vegetable thin crust and the smallest slice you ever did see.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 3:15 PM

I was hoping he used some curse words... Sure made me feel better!

HE WAS LAST, LAST IN THE ACC IN PUNTING!

Dec 10, 2015, 4:04 PM

Not so sure he did...."a good job".

I think that job needs to be open next season.
We need a punter, and a kick returner.

Which Ray Ray did good at returns.

Media won't let it go

Dec 10, 2015, 5:08 PM

Dabo didn't owe anyone an explanation. It was between him and Andy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2015, 7:14 PM

I love my Tigers and it is hard to argue with EXTREME success. But I have to admit I cringe in anticipation of low expectations before every special teams play. And it's been that way forever under Dabo. I love seeing the offense take it 95 yards for a TD. But sometimes I'd like to see better field position. Someday we may just need it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 11, 2015, 6:40 AM

Wow. I disagree. Our special teams won lots of games for us under Dabo. Spiller and Watkins are the first 2 that come to mind on punt returns and kick returns.

Dec 12, 2015, 9:19 AM

I think the poster was referring to the last few years in his comments.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic