Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Former Clemson OL signs with CFL team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

FB Update: Former Clemson OL signs with CFL team

May 27, 2017, 12:39 PM

Former Clemson OL signs with CFL team

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He can go there fo a year or two and then work his way..

May 27, 2017, 12:46 PM

to the NFL.

Re: He can go there fo a year or two and then work his way..

May 27, 2017, 1:52 PM

Surprising to me - I thought he would make an NFL roster. He has the size and skill

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

May 28, 2017, 8:51 AM

Agreed, I can't understand how so many of these Clemson star players are passed over. Being a winner is no longer a selling point, All ACC is no longer good enough... Guess you have to look the part at the combine, huh. If I'm a coach, I'm looking for winners. It works for Belicheck.

May 28, 2017, 9:43 AM

Football is a team game, there are only so many "winners" out there.

Too many variables go into a championship team. All Conference honors dont mean anything in the next level, just like Heisman. Your tape matters but not awards.

Belichick has winning teams and i am a fan. But I dont think Bill puts a premium on CFP championships or All Conference honors.

Maybe you are thinking back to when Aaron Hernandez was drafted off a winning team with a winning QB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2017, 10:14 PM

Don't think you got the point....

All the best (are CFL salarys at least decent enough?)

May 27, 2017, 4:22 PM

Any details on contract?

Re: All the best (are CFL salarys at least decent enough?)

May 28, 2017, 1:34 PM

> Any details on contract?

No details released in the team's annnouncement - http://www.argonauts.ca/2017/05/27/argos-sign-ol-jay-guillermo-release-two/

He will make less than $100,000/yr for sure. Probably be paid in the $60-70,000 range. In a 9-team league where 6 teams make the playoffs the bonus money can make a big difference. Making $100,000 would be possible if his team wins the Grey Cup. It's not that bad for a 22 or 23 year old for less than 6 months work.

Also, the CFL-CFLPA contract restricts the hours of "work" much more than the NFL. That allows players to develop careers in other fields before their playing careers are done. If he makes the team and plays all season the Argos will help him find a full-time job for the off-season so that he stays around the city. The economy is very strong in that part of Canada.

May 28, 2017, 2:00 PM

https://www.reference.com/business-finance/much-money-cfl-players-make-3582d1f90b5b9fb

He'll make about $80,000 plus they get paid for expenses and have great medical benefits and pensions.

It's really a stepping stone if he wants to play in the NFL. I guess I don't understand what it takes to be a NFL center and I can't imagine why he didn't get drafted. I also didn't understand why Eric MacClain didn't make it either.

I know Eric's butt was to high for the NFL's liking but Jay is a darn good center going against NFL caliber guys in practice. I'm sure it's something simple that they look for but I bet if he played for the Tide he would have been drafted.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

May 30, 2017, 12:41 AM

His biggest challenge will be living on an $80K salary in Toronto. He will probably have to rent an 800 square foot condo. I live here and $80K after taxes (42%) does not go far.

Re: FB Update: Former Clemson OL signs with CFL team

May 27, 2017, 6:03 PM

Wish him all the best with new/future teams!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought the NFL needed good centers!!***

May 27, 2017, 7:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just can't understand this.

May 28, 2017, 10:29 AM

Look at the dude's film. He was ultra smart and directed the line like a pro all year. He pancaked and trucked people on the regular. He was bull in a china shop. Even against the mighty Bammer.

I can't make sense of why he was passed over.

Oh. He's not tall enough. Riiiigggghhhht.

Very proud of JG for moving his career forward ...

May 28, 2017, 10:38 AM

Man is taking ownership. A bright future beckons in and out of football. #Winning

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Former Clemson OL signs with CFL team

May 30, 2017, 11:05 AM

Does anyone have specifics on why he didn't get drafted or even more than one or to workouts? I'm curious what the concern was. Quickness? Frame? etc...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Argos. Jay is not a hoser, eh? He's a beauty OL.

May 30, 2017, 11:50 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Jm4LoOaAWI

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic