Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I come in peace. Looks like my son is gonna be a Tiger.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

I come in peace. Looks like my son is gonna be a Tiger.

Mar 22, 2013, 10:37 AM

I'm a Wahoo to the core but I'm ready to become a big Tiger fan. I've already got some orange clothes so I'm trainable. Don't know much about about y'all. I'm coming through town in a couple of weeks. Any suggestions as to things I have to do to get acclimated to Tiger Town.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I come in peace. Looks like my son is gonna be a Tiger.

Mar 22, 2013, 10:40 AM

My first and primary suggestion - bask in the greatness of God's Country.

The rest will fall into place soon enough.

Welcome!

Having been to Charlottesville repeatedly,

Mar 22, 2013, 10:58 AM

I can tell you he's seen some beautiful God's Country already. Nothing like rolling out of bed, looking out the window and watching the mist roll by on a nearby mountainside, or peering down into the valley below. It's truly beautiful up there. Not saying Clemson is not, but it should be noted that if you ever get the chance to go to Charlottesville and see the sights, it's a tremendous place.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Having been to Charlottesville repeatedly,

Mar 22, 2013, 12:43 PM

Can't argue with you, sir. Maybe it's the 'aura' Clemson carries that edge Cville out?

I almost went to VMI (as in applied and considered it until my Clemson acceptance came). 'Tis beautiful in those parts.

Welcome to the bandwagon.***

^^^ Also this is called a coot. Pay no attention to him***

Mar 22, 2013, 11:28 AM

Congratulations to your son, and we welcome you all to

the Clemson family. Just try to soak in the local spots while you are visiting. You will get the full Clemson experience in the fall when you go to a game.

Please tell your son that when he attends orientation, they will try to teach the woohoo during Tiger Rag. That is absolutely not a Clemson tradition and he should refrain from partaking in it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

gotta do Esso Club....go to a baseball game if we are in town.....get some gear at the shops downtown--tiger sports shop or knickerbockers...go eat some ribs at sardi's...arrange a campus tour thru the alumni center

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Since the sun rises and sets in Clemson...

Mar 22, 2013, 10:44 AM

be careful driving there during sunrise and sunset.

"It's true William a man can change his stars"

Mar 22, 2013, 10:47 AM

On a serious note if it's warm I'd check out Bowman field or the volleyball courts behind calhoun courts.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good flick!***

Mar 22, 2013, 11:30 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to a little place that we call God's Country

Mar 22, 2013, 10:50 AM

You will find out soon what we all already know about Clemson.

I definitely agree with the poster above who said to tell your son to refrain from the woohoo. That is NOT a part of the real tradition.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Try sliding down Issaqueena ###...

Mar 22, 2013, 11:05 AM

It's not for the faint of heart.

Dude got hooked in the leg with a treble one time.

Mar 22, 2013, 11:30 AM

Haven't done it since.

The rope swing is much safer.

Mar 22, 2013, 11:45 AM

Is it still there?

Depends... which one.

Mar 22, 2013, 11:50 AM

The good one has been gone for years.

So - who do you think we should fire first?

Mar 22, 2013, 11:06 AM

Seriously, welcome aboard!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If you're a 'Hoos fan, we already share

Mar 22, 2013, 11:11 AM

a strong dislike for all things tarhole, blue devil and hokie.

Its a firm foundation to build on.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true. I hate hokies, dookies & tarholes with passion

Mar 22, 2013, 11:50 AM

In that order of hate. My hatred for hokies is I think comparable to a Tigers hatred of a gamecock. Sounds like I'll fit right in.

Dude it is Shangri-La you...

Mar 22, 2013, 11:13 AM

will not want to leave. You must:
Stop at Death Valley and behold the Wonder of Howards' Rock
Go to a baseball game at the King
Get a pie at Peppinos
Stroll Bowman Field.... slowly
Walk downtown, go in Judge Keller's and ask for Leonard
Eat at Mac's, Smoking Pig
Explore the Pendleton Square
Play Walker (best Golf course you've never heard of)

Hey that is just the first day!

Congratulations to your son and welcome to the Clemson Family

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add Palmetto's Smokehouse and Oyster Bar to your stops!***

Mar 22, 2013, 11:22 AM

^^^^^^This***

Mar 22, 2013, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Dude it is Shangri-La you... ]

Looks like your son is gonna be a Tiger.

Mar 22, 2013, 11:27 AM

Welcome to Clemson, and to TigerNet!!!!! You will find there are a lot of helpful people on here. We all pick at each other, mostly in jest and fun.

Ask away. You'll get plenty of help and suggestions. Just make sure you spend time where you go to enjoy it. you'll find you'll come back more and more...

Welocme to the Clemson Family!!!!

Welcome to the Clemson Family!

Mar 22, 2013, 11:47 AM

Y'all are gonna love this place! Tour campus and stroll down College Avenue.

Yes, there's something in these hills where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness. - Joe Sherman

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Willing to take a 50% pay cut to move back to Clemson!

Mar 22, 2013, 2:47 PM

:)

Initiation Required: First you must go to the Lunge and

Mar 22, 2013, 11:54 AM

post noods. Crump will advise from there.

Congrats to your son!

Mar 22, 2013, 12:02 PM

My junior year at Clemson is coming to a close, and as my senior year approaches I can honestly say my decision to attend Clemson was the best choice I've ever made. Clemson is truly a special place, and I've enjoyed every day here. Definitely take a tour of campus while you're here as there are very few campuses that rival the beauty of Clemson's and it's surrounding areas. When you visit, go downtown and check out the shops, go to a baseball game at Doug Kingsmore Stadium, and check out a few local restaurants such as Sardi's and the Smoking Pig. You won't get to truly see this campus at its finest until you come down for a Saturday in the Fall though as no gameday atmosphere surpasses that of Clemson's. There are many other great things I could say and places I could tell you to visit, but I'll leave some for my other TigerNetters to tell you. :)

Out of state Parents guide to seeing Clemson

Mar 22, 2013, 12:22 PM

1. Get some good Clemson area BBQ. go to the Smoking pig on Thursday through Saturday.

2. Check out the football stadium. Your child will at least spend a few Saturdays there, though their state of mind may be slightly inebriated (you can ignore that last thought if it makes you feel better). It's an impressive site to see, especially if you get to see it lit up.

3. If you go during spring, check out Clemsons botanical gardens. Crazy beautiful.

4. Walk around Clemson and wait for the 15 minute classroom break. Goes from a ghost town outside to a bee colony.

5. Go to bowman field, and wait for the pretty girls to begin to sunbathe, and the guys immediately run out to play some manly sport... Certainly not to impress them of course.

6. Walk downtown. Grab a piece of Clemson gear. Whether a keyring or a shirt from the clearance section of the old judge kellers store, it will let you feel more apart of the Clemson faithful.

7. While you are downtown, DO NOT be safe and just go to some chain restaurant. TDs or jugheads. If you go to jugheads get "the spiller". TDs get the hangover from hell grilled cheese.

8. Go to the statue of Thomas green Clemson. Do not let your future Clemson student read the plaque, bad luck. Burn all of your Hoo gear. This is best accomplished by you taking the clothes off in advance.

10. Look up some off campus apartments, chances are your kid will want to live at them his/her sophomore year, like it or not. It took me 4 years to move off campus, but even I finally did. It's better you have a general idea what they are/how they look if you plan to help pay for them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Out of state Parents guide to seeing Clemson. GREAT POST

Mar 23, 2013, 11:06 AM

This is a great post!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's Something in These Hills... (Long)

Mar 22, 2013, 12:25 PM

Something in These Hills

Times when so many things seem to be coming unglued are disquieting times. These are disquieting times.

It always intrigues me how nearly any specific condition of nearly any specific time can find some application in a book that, essentially, was handed down to us by word of mouth through century.

I believe it says somewhere, "I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills from whence cometh my help."

My thoughts often wander through these upper South Carolina hills that shelter the University that forms a common bond for many thousands of people who have studied here, or taught here or worked here.

There's something in these hills that has touched every one of them, something that has rubbed off on them in varying degrees, something that has built within the breasts of all Clemson men and women an enduring spark akin to an eternal pride.

There's something in these hills. It was here when a handful of fledgling faculty members greeted a relatively small band of 446 students more than 80 years ago. That was shortly after convict labor had completed an administration building and clock tower that still dominate these Blue Ridge foothills with a timelessness and serenity that impart inspiration and strength anew each time they are looked upon.

There's something in these hills that has endeared itself to an endless procession of administrators, teachers, students, secretaries and workman. Hundreds of names pass through my consciousness, names of people who gave selflessly of themselves to build the institution nestled here and who at one and the same time mined the priceless something the hills contain and returned to them still more of it.

I have my names and I see once more the faces and feel again the beloved personalities that go with them. If you will but close your eyes and drift awhile you too will recall the names and faces and personalities of those who meant the most to you while the privilege of being among them was yours.

There's something in these hills and from them we have drawn the power to transcend the stresses and strains that tug away to make things come unglued in these disquieting times, the power to cut through such modern concepts - and such modern facts - as generation gaps, communication gaps and ideological gaps.

Where is the generation gap when an alumnus who spent four years in these hills before the turn of the century says, "Next to my church and my home, I love Clemson University beyond all other institutions this side of heaven" and when a graduate-to-be says, "Excepting only my parents, Clemson has meant more to me and done more for me than anything that has touched my life."

There's something in these hills that has bound together a man of over ninety and a boy under twenty, something that has given them a common ground on which to stand and a start toward bridging, and eliminating, any gap or any stress or any strain that might try to make unglued whatever they seek for themselves as they move out of these hills into the mountains, the plains, the oceans, the forests, the skies and the storms of life.

We have all drawn from these hills something to suggest to youth that those over thirty can be trusted and to indicate to those over thirty that the qualities of youth are as sound today as they ever were.

There is something in these hills that brings together and binds together and holds together men and women of all persuasions, of all heights, sizes, weights, and cultural backgrounds - something that cuts across every difference, spans every gap, penetrates every wall - something that makes a man or a woman stand taller, feel better and say with a high pride to all within earshot, "I went to Clemson."

There is something in these hills that you and I can't define and others can't understand. A wave of warmth always surges through me when "outsiders" say, "I don't know what it is about you Clemson people, but your undying love for Clemson is admired by everyone I know."

There's something in these hills and I suspect that's what it is - the ability of an institution through the unending dedication and greatness of its people - its administration, its faculty, its staff, its students and alumni - to impart to all it touches a respect, an admiration, an affection that stands firm in disquieting times when things around it give impressions of coming unglued.

Yes, there's something in these hills where the Blue Ridge yawns its greatness.

Joe Sherman 1969
Clemson College Class of 1934

uva doesn't have a "legacy" rule?******

Mar 22, 2013, 4:20 PM

Have a cool beer at The Esso Club block down from DV......

Mar 22, 2013, 10:28 PM

DV meaning Death Valley...meaning the football stadium!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have a cool beer at The Esso Club block down from DV......

Mar 22, 2013, 10:32 PM

where Daniel Webster & Henry Clay visited. All three men were 6'2 to 6'5" tall which was something else in those days.

John C Calhoun was VP of US twice, Sec of State, a Congressman & a Senator too...and was the Father-in-Law of Thomas Green Clemson..a native of Philly, Pa!

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Visit John C Calhoun's Mansion on campus..called Fort Hill..

Mar 22, 2013, 10:34 PM

See my ealier post telling about the visitor's to Fort Hill..and the offices Mr. Calhoun held...and that Thomas Green Clemson was his Son-In-Law..and was from Philly, Pa.

Deer Bill,

Mar 23, 2013, 9:09 AM

Way way back in 1974, I ran buck nekkid around Fort Hill during the "streaking" rage around college campuses.

John C Calhoun was also Abraham Lincoln's biological father despite what John C Calhoun® may tell us. The similarities in physical appearance and mental abilities are too hard to ignore. The nut doesn't fall too far from the tree.

Thanks for the reply. Even though it wasn't intended for me.

You're a rastler?

Mar 23, 2013, 12:05 AM

I thought Wahoo McDaniel was dead

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

If he really is the daddy he's rassled at least once.***

Mar 23, 2013, 9:45 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go to the exchange and get some

Mar 23, 2013, 12:13 AM

Made in Clemson Ice cream..... Also purchase some blue cheese...eat it there or take it home.. It is considered some of the finest in the world

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Rub the rock and give 110%***

Mar 23, 2013, 5:46 AM

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Mar 23, 2013, 8:37 AM

Welcome, you will soon find out that there is NOTHING like DEATH VALLEY on a fall Saturday afternoon!!! Your official baptism commences on August 31st, hope you're there to help us rock the house!!!

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic