Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We were awaiting the famed Rupert Murdoch pivot...it's here
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 443

We were awaiting the famed Rupert Murdoch pivot...it's here

Nov 7, 2020, 5:31 AM

Those of us who actually know who Rupert Murdoch is and what he's about - which, by the way, seemingly does not include any of his Fox News viewers - know he's actually not American (though he did trade up his Australian citizenship for American citizenship so as to circumvent the rules on owning American media), but an English/Australian blue-blood who comes from an old media empire that began in England in 1923 with News Limited; Rupert's father, Sir Keith Murdoch - yes, he had a knighthood, and a really colorful family history - acquired the company in 1949.

In short: Rupert's an autocrat who thinks the world is his chalkboard and he's the guy with the chalk, and he's old, old, old money.

And he's got a long, long, long history of establishing comfie relations with prominent politicians, giving them smarmy positive pub in order to gain preferential access...and then turning on them once Murdoch has perceived their usefulness has expired. We've seen that pattern all the way back to former English Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher. Rationwiki.org did an absolutely hilarious take on him that sums him up probably the best I've ever seen:
https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Rupert_Murdoch

Donald Trump - bless his naive heart - is only the latest politician Murdoch's made this arrangement with. And anybody who knows Rupert's game have long been waiting the moment when the calculating now-90-year-old vampire that is Rupert Murdoch decides it's Trump that has outlasted his usefulness, and the knife comes out as it has eventually with every other politician Murdoch has ever gotten in bed with.

Well, the long-awaited day when Murdoch finally turns on Trump is clearly here. The red-flag was Fox calling Arizona so early but it's persisted across all News Corp world the past couple days.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/nov/07/rupert-murdoch-owned-us-outlets-turn-on-trump-urging-him-to-concede-with-grace

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We were awaiting the famed Rupert Murdoch pivot...it's here

Nov 7, 2020, 7:08 AM

Update from 40 minutes ago. This isn't just a pivot, it's about a triple axel.

https://twitter.com/NickBryantNY/status/1325036446399549440?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1325036446399549440%7Ctwgr%5Eshare_3&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.theguardian.com%2Fus-news%2Flive%2F2020%2Fnov%2F06%2Fus-election-joe-biden-donald-trump-result-latest-who-is-winning-live-2020-updates

seems very conspiratorial***

Nov 7, 2020, 8:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: seems very conspiratorial***

Nov 7, 2020, 8:33 AM

Conspiratorial? Yup. And...pragmatic. Which is what I've been trying to say for as long as I've been on here.

Rupert's a well-known quantity, and his M.O. is hardly a mystery. He's always made sure he's on the winning team, and he has zero loyalty...as Trump is in the process of discovering. His people were apparently flabbergasted that Fox was the first to call Arizona for Biden and begged them to retract it because it sawed off an important rung of their planned court strategies. The Trump lawyers were apparently hoping to get stuff stopped in just a couple of states and hopefully get it to the Supreme Court before the vote was fully tallied in Pennsylvania and Georgia but Fox calling Arizona - maybe prematurely! - chopped off that potential venue.

Too late now. Those votes are in the books.

Nobody was quite sure what the he!! Fox was up to initially...but it's becoming pretty obvious Kingmaker Rupert is at it yet again.

Aren't FOX and the Post supposed to be journalism/news?

Nov 7, 2020, 8:51 AM

I'm not sure how FOX reporting what happens and the Post's front pages compared in the tweets show anything but news sources reporting the facts.

The actually news people on FOX come across as unbiased for the most part and have been questioning Trump's claims of fraud. That's what has been going on the last few days and still is going on.

On the election coverage, over the last 2 decades I have always watched FOX's coverage (I used to flip channels, but in the last two cycles, CNN has become so biased I can't even turn it on). FOX historically has been the first to call states and I cannot remember them having to flip a call. When they called Arizona, they were certain of their call and still stand by it. Did Rupert tell them to do it?

Conversely, if Rupert is doing this marionette act at FOX, he needs to tell his opinion/entertainment staff what's going on because Hannity, Carlson, and Ingraham are doubling down on the fraud and support for Trump.

It seems to me you are describing journalistic integrity rather than a desire to be on the right side based on my observation. The only way this can be attributed to Rupert being a puppet master is for Rupert to be driving reality.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Aren't FOX and the Post supposed to be journalism/news?

Nov 7, 2020, 9:36 AM

Give it a minute and wait and see.

Hannity will be the one left holding the bag, IMHO. Lachlan is the one on the ground and he's said to favor Tucker Carlson, so he and Ingraham will likely be given license to pivot. If those reports are accurate, Hannity will be the one who twists in the wind and ultimately gets disposed of when the wind shifts.

News Corp has always survived its shenanigans by not challenging the party in power too badly, even if they're liberal. They tone it down during a Democratic administration and do just enough to keep the Powers That Be from sending the DOJ or FCC after them.

Watch and observe. It's already happening again.

lol...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:40 AM

Hannity?!?!? Surely you jest, my friend. Hannity wouldn't have a show without some deep state conspiracy theory.

Of the three, Ingraham was the only one he seemed in her tone to have come to terms that the race may be over.

Re: lol...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:50 AM

That's what I mean. Hannity isn't going to change his tone.

Ingraham already is, and Tucker's already laid the groundwork for a pivot.

Hannity's supposedly the True Believer of the bunch; Ingraham and Tucker know they're entertainers and Tucker is supposedly Lachlan Murdoch's boy. So Hannity will keep doing what he does but he'll look around at some point in the near future...and realize Tucker is angling for his chair and his contract and Hannity is very much all alone out on the island.

It's an ensemble show with a rotating cast, and Hannity's time as lead is likely just about...up. He's about to be the next Bill O'Reilly...in, I suspect, every sense.

True

Nov 7, 2020, 10:14 AM

he is no longer resembles the cute little chipmunk grandmothers want to pinch and could never bring themselves to believe a liar, and his tone his grown beyond bitter.. But he does have his radio empire, he ain't going away unless there is some meat to the rumblings about is possible fraudulent real estate dealings that Cohen eluded to.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he has nothing to add...

Nov 7, 2020, 10:20 AM

for any thinking person.

It is an appeal to unhappy, bitter people.

Re: he has nothing to add...

Nov 7, 2020, 10:25 AM

then his market will remain in tact, if not grow.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you may be right...

Nov 7, 2020, 10:44 AM

I think Hannity's shtick is wearing thin. The one's who still love him are older and they are dying.

Re: Aren't FOX and the Post supposed to be journalism/news?

Nov 7, 2020, 9:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Aren't FOX and the Post supposed to be journalism/news? ]

I’ve switched between Fox CNN and MSNBC the past few days. CNN and MSNBC have a 99% focus on numbers, data, votes, percentages, etc. It’s all quant.

Fox doesn’t seem to dig into the detailed numbers as much. I.e. they don’t really dig down to numbers of votes at the county level. They do report all the necessary data at the state level they just don’t go micro like CNN and MS NBC have. They seem to have more content that is subjective, stories, opinion, etc.

Not saying either path is right or wrong. Actually the numbers get a little boring and repetitive at CNN and MSNBC and the stories and commentary at Fox can be a little more enticing.

Regarding Rupert, Trump will soon learn that Rupert is one of a long list of people that will no longer need him.

Have you not seen Bill Hemmer constantly at...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:52 AM

the big map going into the county by county numbers and comparing them to 2016?

He is the equivalent to CNN's John King.

Re: Have you not seen Bill Hemmer constantly at...

Nov 7, 2020, 9:58 AM

No, I haven’t seen him, could be that I just missed him, my fault. I haven’t seen anybody at Fox with a map digging into county level data for 2020. With that said I wasn’t watching Fox Tuesday night. But I’ve watched a bunch since then.

Replies: 14
| visibility 443
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic