Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have we discussed the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Have we discussed the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy?

Jul 23, 2020, 8:41 AM

I’m not exactly the same level of customer I was when I was in corporate America, but I am going to miss the greatest non-iron dress shirts in the universe. Also sucks to see a “made in the USA” company folding up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We have not. What did they do wrong where they have to

Jul 23, 2020, 8:43 AM

go the kind of bankrupt that makes them fold? They should do that other kind, like JC Penny.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think JC Penny has been closed for 10 years.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:44 AM

It’s just that the malls forgot to lock the doors and take their keys, and no one told the employees.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember when JCP got a CEO that was all

Jul 23, 2020, 8:49 AM

"Hell no we won't do coupons anymore!"? My dream is to get paid that handsomely to be so bad at my job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think they went chapter 11, which is a reorg...

Jul 23, 2020, 8:51 AM [ in reply to We have not. What did they do wrong where they have to ]

bankruptcy...normally meaning they're looking for a buyers or for someone to finance the business. That wouldn't normally lead directly to closing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

51 stores and counting closed, and their Mass.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:54 AM

Factory slated to be sold. If they reopen, it will not be the same quality clothing, much like Land’s End.

They make good looking SUV's, but their really prone to

Jul 23, 2020, 9:40 AM

maintenance issues. I can see why they aren't doing well.

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You’re thinking of Eddie Bauer

Jul 23, 2020, 9:42 AM

But yeah, he did make a nice truck.

It has been a while since I've have bought

Jul 23, 2020, 10:03 AM

anything new from Eddie Bauer but I like everything I ever did get.

Murica has been in gym shorts and wife beaters for the

Jul 23, 2020, 10:29 AM [ in reply to We have not. What did they do wrong where they have to ]

past 4 months. Demand has been lessened.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*checking in****

Jul 23, 2020, 11:29 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Almost all of my polos and button downs are from BB

Jul 23, 2020, 8:44 AM

All dress pants and I even bought myself a $400 blazer for my rehearsal dinner from them. Hopefully they can find a buyer that won't shake things up too much

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

See, I love their button-Downs,

Jul 23, 2020, 8:45 AM

But find their polos to be garbage.

Re: See, I love their button-Downs,

Jul 23, 2020, 8:52 AM

Ralph Lauren Polo or GTFO of my face!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Said like a true Obed***

Jul 23, 2020, 8:53 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I miss when those were made in Clover.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Re: See, I love their button-Downs, ]

Drive up from Greenville, hang a right at Hardees, go to Clear-Knit outlet at end of street. Boom.....polo shirts for $10.

You drove past World of Clothes to get to

Jul 23, 2020, 10:05 AM

Clear-Knit?

Absolutely man.***

Jul 23, 2020, 10:06 AM

I don't even know exactly when it stopped being a thing.

Jul 23, 2020, 10:18 AM

I also recall going there a good bit but I don't recall making purchase.

It stopped within 12 months of NAFTA.***

Jul 23, 2020, 10:22 AM

That was '94. I really cannot figure out

Jul 23, 2020, 3:50 PM

why going to Clear-Knit wasn't a bigger part of my youth. That Hardee's was a large part of my youth. I spent hours in that grocery store when it was a Community Cash. Only store my grandparents would go to way back when.

TOMMY HILFIGER OR BUST***

Jul 23, 2020, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: See, I love their button-Downs, ]

I saw some of their stretch pants at Costco the other day***

Jul 23, 2020, 11:18 AM

Really figured you for an Armani Exchange guy.***

Jul 23, 2020, 3:27 PM [ in reply to TOMMY HILFIGER OR BUST*** ]

Red just got me one a few weeks back

Jul 23, 2020, 8:55 AM [ in reply to See, I love their button-Downs, ]

And to be honest, its the best one from BB I have ever had. I think the issue with the polos is the cotton is possibly a bit more harsh than other brands after multiple washes.

Saddleback FTW***

Jul 23, 2020, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Almost all of my polos and button downs are from BB ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Figured you'd be a Knights of the Round Table guy***

Jul 23, 2020, 4:25 PM

Just not enough preppies any more.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:48 AM

RIP Brooks Brothers.

This po' white boy always like your sheep logo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have we discussed the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy?

Jul 23, 2020, 8:51 AM

They are the only people that make a decent 16 - 36/37 shirt. That is all that is in my closet.

Plus, they make the absolute best bowties as well. No one compares in the bowtie market

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ditto, except 17 36/37, slim fit.***

Jul 23, 2020, 8:57 AM

Re: Ditto, except 17 36/37, slim fit.***

Jul 23, 2020, 9:01 AM

remember when they chagned the label colors and naming structure? maybe that is why they are going bankrupt. their slim is a true slim too, not that billowy slim.

I have had luck here lately. They make some really great stuff and the prices are unreal. I was only buying button downs, but bought a suit last summer for a wedding and its the ####. Their slim is slim too and their sizing matches up with BB.

https://www.ctshirts.com/us/home

Thats where I buy all my shirts. Because they are proper.

Jul 23, 2020, 10:26 AM

And always a sweet sale going on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ditto, except 17 36/37, slim fit.***

Jul 23, 2020, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Ditto, except 17 36/37, slim fit.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With everyone wearing

Jul 23, 2020, 8:51 AM

cargo shorts, flips flops, and t-shirts no matter the occasion, they’ve become obsolete.

See MW - Jos A. Banks closing as mentioned last night as further evidence.

I know BB is a whole ‘nother level but same style.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

they started going down hill when Ralph Lauren left.

Jul 23, 2020, 8:58 AM

now Ralph Lauren is going down hill too.

Anybody know where to get a nice collar and sleeve sized oxford cloth button down (not pinpoint oxford)
like Polo used to sell before going to S,M,L,XL?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve had good luck with lands end

Jul 23, 2020, 9:10 AM

But I expect their shirts to go to crap any minute now like their pants have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

I thought I'd looked there, but you're right. That Hyde Park

Jul 23, 2020, 9:40 AM

heavier oxford looks promising, and good price.

https://www.landsend.com/products/mens-supima-hyde-park-oxford-dress-shirt/id_10667?attributes=32671,43307,43322,43870,44032,44255,44896,44967,45023

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

heart breaking - 75% of my button downs

Jul 23, 2020, 9:16 AM

and all my new suit / blazer purchases have been through them. their polos are meh, and haven't gotten any of their slacks to have an opinion.

Jul 23, 2020, 9:36 AM

Bengaline said they are not made in America at Brooks Bros. Nam. I have never bought anything from there. I also have never bought anything from lesser companies like Men's Warehouse and Jos A. Bank who are closing 500 stores.

Sh##.....better not tell the US workers that.

Jul 23, 2020, 9:44 AM

https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Made-In-North-Carolina/men-made-in-north-carolina,default,sc.html

Jul 23, 2020, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Have we discussed the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy? ]

I think he was just referring to the actual cloth used to make their products. Those textiles aren’t made in the US but the actual products are cut and sewn here, so “made in America”. Bills Khakis pulled the same thing back in 2016 after Mr. Thomas sold out.

Yes, from Italian fabric in this case.

Jul 23, 2020, 9:59 AM

I don’t really care if they’re running a loom or a sewing machine, they’re still employing Americans to make some of their clothes.

Re: Yes, from Italian fabric in this case.

Jul 23, 2020, 10:09 AM

Seems like being in the commercial real estate business for the next few years will be a stinker.

Jul 23, 2020, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Have we discussed the Brooks Brothers bankruptcy? ]

Bill's used to be fantastic but the last two pairs I bought were such low quality that I'll never buy them again.

Jul 23, 2020, 11:35 AM

Yeah, I’ve been very disappointed the last few years. They’ve changed hands twice from the original owner and namesake and seemingly gone downhill after each transition.

I have ten year old pants and shirts that’ve outlasted the most recent products I’ve ordered from them.

I only ever had a pair of shoes from them, about 20 years

Jul 23, 2020, 11:17 AM

ago. I see folks mentioning polo shirts, but I don't think I even own a Polo short any more. Do people still wear those?

Lets just hope that Aftco, Huk, Columbia and Olukai survive this apocalypse.

Yeah, I'm pretty much to the point where if it's a non

Jul 23, 2020, 12:14 PM

work related event that I'm expected to dress up for, I'm just not going to go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its really one of the few benefits of getting older:

Jul 23, 2020, 4:06 PM

Not doing #### you don't want to do.

You have a son now so that happened to you a little sooner than me; I didn't really take that privilege until about my early 40's when I just stopped doing stuff other folks wanted.

A couple years ago I stopped going to my wife's parents house for Christmas. I don't really want to go my mothers house, so why would I want to go to anyone else's? I get called selfish about once a week. She has no idea how selfish I can be.

Re: Its really one of the few benefits of getting older:

Jul 23, 2020, 4:24 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTiFS9g-v_o

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic