Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have You Ever Caught a Squirrel .......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Have You Ever Caught a Squirrel .......

Jan 21, 2019, 2:59 PM

with your bare hands? I would highly recommend you not doing it. I was about 12 and my older brother about 14 when we had our first and only experience catching a squirrel barehanded. There were not many squirrels around at that time because a lot of people hunted them for food. We had a pecan tree and just before the nuts were mature, a couple of squirrels would move in and take up residence in the pecan tree. I suppose we could call them illegal immigrants.

Our house had a huge back porch which made for a nice place to play on a rainy day but, this day wasn't rainy, it was a beautiful fall day. My brother and I were on the back porch and on the roof was a squirrel feasting on one of our pecans. The squirrel's tail was hanging over the edge of the eave just waiting for someone to grab its tail. And that someone waiting to grab his tail was my brother. We could tell right away that squirrel was not happy. In one of the shortest human-squirrel encounters, it bit one of my brother's fingers and off ran the squirrel at SEC speed. The only thing my brother had to show for his efforts was a bit finger and a few hairs from the squirrel's tail. Over the years we always had a big laugh when I asked him if he would like to go bare hands squirrel hunting.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have You Ever Caught a Squirrel .......

Jan 21, 2019, 3:07 PM

Great story Mr. Joe. Sometimes we just have to experience things for ourselves to know not to do them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don’t do it. They bite.***

Jan 21, 2019, 3:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I actually had a nightmare last night about trying to get...

Jan 21, 2019, 3:43 PM

...rid of squirrels in a shed. I used a broom to push one out and he came up the broom handle.
The rest is not pretty. Good thing I didn't scream for real like I did in my dream. My wife would have had a heart attack!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and today just happens to be squirrel appreciation day.***

Jan 21, 2019, 3:48 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tree Rats

Jan 21, 2019, 4:08 PM

They can do a lot of damage - to you and to your house. They also like to chew holes in plastic irrigation lines.

A few years ago, I kept hearing the sounds of what I thought might be mice in the attic. It so happened that I was having roof shingles replaced around the same time. There was one fellow who was carrying bundles of shingles up an extension ladder - one bundle on each shoulder. He would get high enough on the ladder to flip the bundles off of his shoulder onto the roof, one bundle at a time. Of course, this makes some noisy thump sounds when the bundles hit the roof. When he got to the garage, climbed the ladder and dropped the bundles, he saw the hole in the soffit at the same time as the squirrel (who had chewed the entrance hole) decided to leave the attic and run for it. The squirrel came flying out and onto the face of the guy, who was about 15' up the ladder above a brick terrace. Watching this, I was afraid the guy would panic and fall off of the ladder, but he was fairly calm and just grabbed the squirrel and threw it onto the ground, where it dusted itself off, recovered its sense of importance and ran away. We immediately repaired that soffit and never had another problem.

Maybe the reason I haven't had any more problems is because I bought a bird feeder that holds squirrel cake mixture of corn and seeds. I placed it directly in front of a large pine tree, so that from my kitchen door to the patio, the feeder was directly in front of the tree. After sighting in the scope for that spot under the feeder and buying some sub-sonic .22 rounds so the neighbors wouldn't know what was happening, I had a perfect killing field with the artillery zeroed exactly on the spot, shooting downhill into sandy soil with the tree as a backstop...... after a while, the squirrels are all gone. They're beginning to repopulate the yard, so it's time to open the shooting range again.

Jan 21, 2019, 4:20 PM

Great story, Joe!! Reminded me of my dad returning at dusk dark from a day of quail (and all small game) hunting. I was about six, and I ran up the road to walk with him and hear his tales as he walked home. When I asked if he'd killed anything, he said he had a squirrel in the bag of his hunting coat. I asked to see it, and he reached in.....but suddenly let out a blood curdling yell. As he jerked his hand out of his coat, the squirrel came out with it!! His teeth were attached to Daddy's pointer finger. Apparently, Daddy's shot had knocked the squirrel unconscious but not dead, and he regained conscientiousness thereafter. It wasn't funny at the time, but that tale has tickled me in these later years.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have You Ever Caught a Squirrel ...No but

Jan 21, 2019, 4:34 PM

attempting to sling one by the tail is just as hazardous as catching!

My brother and I used to love hunting squirrels as young lads. We once shot at a squirrel, causing him to jump from the tree and scurry into a hollow tree. My Grandpa always told us you could pull or twist a squirrel out of a hollow tree with a saw briar, if you know what that is. We used the briar to get his tail out the entrance hole. The plan was to sling him out on the ground by quickly jerking him out by the tail, then we could shoot him when he went up another tree. I was the youngest and therefore nominated to be the squirrel slinger. Bad plan! It ended just like your encounter.

Jan 21, 2019, 6:37 PM

This reminds me of that time my uncle had his nipple bit off by a beaver.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pigs

Jan 21, 2019, 7:04 PM

or it didn't happen.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jan 21, 2019, 7:01 PM

I've caught a many of live animals by hand but never a wild squirrel. I never trusted my speed vs those teeth. Gators, snakes, possum, doves, great blue heron (injured/rescue), sea skimmer, ducks, geese, feral cats, are all fair game if you play your cards right.

One day I was about 8 and walking back from the deer stand with my dad at night. I lingered behind a bit for some reason and as I was catching up I saw a little screech owl in a branch on the side of the road at about head height. Being a little fella that was scared of no animal I began my stalk as it stared at me. About two steps before I pounced my dad decided it was best to tell me that the owl might not let loose of me if I grab him first. I'm sure he saved me some punishment.

One night at Clemson my roomie and I were going to pick up one of my best buds, Tyler, at Lightsey Bridge apartments to carry him to Fike. We had to pass through a field right before entering the parking lot and caught a glimpse of a poor old possum out in the open. Well I was in a good mood so I jumped out and my buddy followed with his headlights and I ran the possum down, snatched him up by the tail, and jumped in the bed of the truck. If you've never seen a live possum up close they are bigger than you think and have a mouth that is much bigger than any coon, fox, or cat. They aren't aggressive at all but you don't want them to grab you either. Well we pull up next to Tyler, who's standing off the side of the road, and I jump up and toss the possum to him yelling "possum attack". His eyes widen up like an owl but he isn't prepared for such guerrilla warfare and cant dodge. It bounces off his chest and puts the haul ### on and we laugh about it all the way to Fike.

Years earlier I took Tyler on one of his first deer hunts with me. Surprisingly 2 big sow hogs show up in the field with 20 piglets that are about 15 pounds a piece. My family has owned this land for 70 years and never seen hogs on it so it was quite the shock. So I take aim and down the ~250 lb sow and they all scatter. They piglets aren't quite sure where to go in the tall millet and one doubles back to the dead sow. When Tyler and I get closer we see the piglet, I give him my rifle, and I begin the stalk. I jump on that little fella and grab him behind his head. That SOB is STRONGGGGG and just a squealing bloody murder. He's kicking around about as hard as a 4' gator would trying his damnedest to get free. Now I've killed about 30 deer by this age (~16) but only hog hunted once before but have heard plenty of stories about hogs coming to a pig squealing and running hunters up a tree. I decide that Tyler, who knows guns but is new to hunting, might not be the best thing protecting us if that other 250 lb sow comes out the bushes to chew my ###. It's a shame but I had to let that pig go because I didn't have anything to throw him in and didn't want an emergency on my hands. It was quite the experience for two kids though. After that two scrawny kids used every ounce of their strength to get that big hog in the back of the truck.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic