Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has the quality and or quantity of SC high school D1 propect
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Has the quality and or quantity of SC high school D1 propect

Apr 29, 2018, 8:52 PM

dropped the last few years? Is this just a dip or has something fundamentally changed at the HS level?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has the quality and or quantity of SC high school D1 propect

Apr 29, 2018, 9:15 PM

Well I guess it doesn’t help when IMG takes the states best players sometimes

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had not thought about IMG***

Apr 29, 2018, 9:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2018, 9:31 PM

Cycles and Population. Just a few years ago SC was pumping out some good talent (Bowers, Clowney, etc); also, keep in mind SC isn't the population of Florida, California, and Texas so the quality just isn't going to be there sometimes due to numbers.

Also, football academies like IMG certainly brain drain the talent out as mentioned above.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2018, 9:39 PM

I don’t follow HS ball that closely, but it does seem like I don’t hear about dorman, Byrnes, northwestern as much as I used to ten years ago. I just built a new house close to Dorman High. Was thinking about checking out a game this season. Worth it or no?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have had this same question and observation, but

Apr 29, 2018, 9:41 PM

Wellsbruce does make a good point.

I also have wondered if there has been a coaching "talent drain" by perhaps (a) their advancement to the college level and/or (b) maybe their move to a neighboring state like Georgia, which pays their coaches surprisingly well in some areas.

I know a coaching exodus doesn't equate to a PLAYER talent drain, but good coaching does play a role in player ranking, to a certain extent.

Finally, regarding quantity, a quick glance at Rivals seems to show a variation in the number of "available" recruits (doesn't mean there aren't more than listed) from year to year.

Is the in-state talent less, or do we just not care as much?

Apr 29, 2018, 10:21 PM

Ten years ago, we relied heavily on SC high school talent. Getting the best in-state talent was priority number one for our football program.

Now, we recruit nationally. Sure, we want to get who we want from SC, but it is more important to get the top talent in the southeast and nationwide. I’m not sure that the talent in SC has dropped, but rather, we just don’t have to rely on it like we used to.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Apr 30, 2018, 12:39 AM

Josh Belk, Derion Kendrick, Xavier Thomas.... That’s 3 5 stars from South Carolina alone last year..

Apr 30, 2018, 7:29 AM

Still the quantity and quality are both down. Clemson hands out 3-5 scholarships a year now to instate. Compare that to Georgia which is similar to our state and we may hand out 3-5 per county. I don’t know why but the days of top talent in SC are dwindling. This year we have offered Pickens, not sure who else.

Ha- there is nothing similar about GA

Apr 30, 2018, 8:00 AM

and SC as far as talent pool. GA is up there with the likes of CA,TX and Florida. The greater ATL alone has a comparable population to our entire state.

ctigers90 nailed it. Just the area surrounding Atlanta has

Apr 30, 2018, 9:43 AM

not only more players to choose from than our entire state but usually more talent as well at least according to what I've read and been told. Danny Ford used to be able to build a good team off of talent just from the states bordering our own but for whatever reason, some blame soccer which was a lot less popular in Danny's days here in SC, to get the very best we are obviously expanding our reach.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic