Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Has any team played much man defense against Bama?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Has any team played much man defense against Bama?

Nov 3, 2018, 10:39 AM

It seems like Tua has been able to find wide open receivers that have found a soft spot in the zone all year. In the little bit of man defense that I've seen, they've been able to take slants to the house against less athletic competition.

I'm guessing that LSU will play much more press man coverage today since they have athletes to match Bama, which should limit all those wide open receivers. I still think Bama wins, but this will be the first time that Tua has faced a very athletic defense outside of UGA last year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Has any team played much man defense against Bama?

Nov 3, 2018, 10:54 AM

Great question cornstock

I was wondering the same thing! I haven't watched a Bama game to date; but from what I can tell this kid is hitting wide open WR's in the passing game. Now, maybe those were b/c they were running the ball effectively and came off play action IDK. But, dang to me it seems he is just very potent at getting out of trouble in the backfield and those WR's are good at the scramble drill.
This is why I say The Tigers are equipped to beat Bama! The OL/DL battle at best for Bama will be a wash! Probably the only time they will have to deal with that. Venables would have had time to dissect them- which is bad news for them with the players we have to work with!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 3, 2018, 11:01 AM

From what I've seen, I wouldn't attribute it to defenses loading the box to stop the run. They've thrown the ball a ton early in games this year only to rely on the run game in the 2nd half.

Great point about the WR scramble drill. Tua is extremely good at escaping pressure while still keeping his eyes downfield. He reminds me a little of DW4 in the way he seems to be able to feel the pressure before it gets there.

Blitzing him appears to be a bad idea bc he typically recognizes it and escapes only to find an open receiver on a hot route in the zone left open by the extra blitzer.

Having a DL that can generate pressure without the need to bring an extra man along with having the athletes in the secondary to play more press man would be the formula that would have the best chance at stopping them. Luckily, that applies to us perfectly.

LSU has the athletes in the secondary, but I don't think their pass rush is quite good enough. Not to mention they are terrible on offense as well.

Nov 3, 2018, 11:09 AM

Agreed.
Elite DE play. Plus, elite depth at DE. Bama had a couple years with some elite edge rushers with Tim Williams and the other kid. But, they mostly have dominate inside guys. Fortunately our OL plays versus dominate DL everyday. Bama OL does not face dominate edge rushers everyday! And on both sides is the kicker! An offense might be able to scheme away from Cle but what do you do with Austin? Or vice versa. What if DL90 plays his tail off and collapses the pocket all game long along with that press coverage causing the QB to hold it a few more seconds than he has all year? Then what? They haven't had to answer those questions. The new starters haven't faced any adversity; what will happen if it's a game going into the 4th qtr? How will they react! We know how our team will respond; they don't!
Offensively - has the Bama defense faced a QB like TL? Or a WR corps like ours? Maybe a team in A&M that had one but not the other!

We equipped to beat them! But, as cliché as it is, we have to beat Louisville 1st.

Go Tigers!

Nov 3, 2018, 11:16 AM

There's no doubt that Bama hasn't faced a team with an offense or a defense like ours—and that will still be true if and when we play them in the playoff. I would rank our defense #1 in the nation given that the only defenses that have been comparable statistically (Michigan, UK) have played weaker offenses.

Our offense isn't the best in the country, but with the way we've been playing under TL I would put us 4th nationally behind Bama, Oklahoma and Houston.

I think our depth along the DL will be our biggest strength against Bama. By that point XT will have a ton of experience and would be the best pass rusher off the bench in the country. Imagine being a RT going up against the speed and strength of Bryant only to have a guy that is even faster come in and blow you away with a speed rush.

“Johnny Football” part 2

Nov 3, 2018, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Has any team played much man defense against Bama? ]

nm

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: “Johnny Football” part 2

Nov 3, 2018, 11:18 AM

That may be true in terms of escapability (although Tua isn't quite at that level IMO), but Tua is far superior in terms of accuracy, arm strength and field vision. He's not nearly the runner that Manziel was, but he also doesn't have those negative plays that guys like Manziel and Lamar Jackson were prone to when they would try to do to much with their legs instead of throwing the ball away.

A Month To Prepare!

Nov 3, 2018, 11:27 AM

You give BV a month to prepare for you and your backside is in trouble! Now, you would have to go in the game with an offense that can attack the Bama defense( referencing last year). The defense played well I thought given the position they were put in during that game. I think we have the ability to challenge their defense like no other team. This is the key to me. Our offense vs. their defense. Forget Tua and their offense for a second. What offense have they played besides A&M who also lost on the road to Miss. St have they faced. Even today with LSU they won't face a real aggressive offense. If your going to beat'em you have to be able to make the throws conventional wisdom says a QB can't make. You throw it and run it when the numbers dictate and you execute on a high level. Often the windows may be narrow; but on passing plays we have a QB who can rifle a pass most QB's can't even attempt. And we have the WR's who can go get it. Their edge rushers don't scare me so I think if we were to play TL would get time. They just make you be patient and execute over the middle. By the time we were to play ( A month ) TL no longer a freshman. You hear every year how a player grew up from the last two three games to during bowl prep. I think that will be the case if/when we go through that.

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic