Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hammond
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Hammond

Feb 6, 2020, 9:39 AM

Ok, I grew up in Lexington and had never heard of Hammond before the Burch Kid. I watched the signing yesterday to see if the kid held true to his commitment and saw they had like 6 or 7 kids signing with D1 schools. They are a SCISA (think the name is different now) school and have all these prospects can someone enlighten me on how a small private school in Columbia got 7 D1 prospects and teams like Dorman, Lexington, etc. sometimes have 1 maybe 2 on a team?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hammond

Feb 6, 2020, 9:40 AM

They recruit well!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 9:42 AM

I can agree with that, but I feel certain they would get mud stomped if they played above SCISA, would they not?

Hammond does have athletic scholarships

Feb 6, 2020, 9:49 AM

But still I agree with your point. How can a kid be ranked the 4th best in the country playing against that level of competition. We have a couple of SCISA kids on our roster, but none with the kind of ratings Burch has.

I am sure that many here remember Milton Jennings, a McDonalds All-American who went to a SCISA school. I would take him as a cautionary example of reading too much into ratings on these kids.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hammond does have athletic scholarships

Feb 6, 2020, 9:54 AM

Athletic scholarships are illegal for all SCISA schools.

With that being said, I know that many of them give out "needs based scholarships" to kids who are excellent athletes.

I believe this is the approach that Hammond has taken.

Feb 6, 2020, 10:05 AM [ in reply to Hammond does have athletic scholarships ]

Why would the school they play for determine their star rating? They don't hand out 5 star ratings based on their stats in high school. They're ranked mostly based on how they perform at camps as well as their measurables.

Clearly I have no idea

Feb 6, 2020, 10:33 AM

Sorry if I am automatically skeptical of anyone coming from a SCISA school to play major college sports, but I am. I went to a SCISA school. Times have certainly changed in the almost 35 years since I graduated high school, but my school won four straight state championships in football and did not send a single player, not one, to play FBS football.

Many players prove me wrong, and Burch may do the same, but I would not be surprised if he turned out to be a bust. You are welcome to disagree with me.

Feb 6, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Hammond does have athletic scholarships ]

The school they play for in this case just gives less chance for them to have weaknesses exposed.

For example Burch completely disappeared in the game against a better team to start their season.

There could be a lot of reasons he didn't play well that game, but he didn't face anyone else the rest of the year good enough to make him have to work for what he did.

So his performance is based almost solely on camps.

It's interesting that his rankings dropped slightly after his All American practice and game performance. That could be telling or it could mean nothing at all.

The major reason to question him is because he has proven less on a weekly basis compared to guys who played with DJ or Bryce Young who played the best schools and best players in the country throughout most of their high school seasons.

Bresee's competition wasn't much better, but Bresee had a different level of domination at camps and all star games than most people ever see. This is why fewer national and local guys are questioning him.

Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Hammond does have athletic scholarships ]

This was my thinking as well, I get that he may have performed well in some camps and what not. I watched the game someone else mentioned vs another school and I was not overly impressed, and definitely did not see 7 d1 players on the field.

During Jennings' SR year Pinewood had 3 or 4 fantastic

Feb 7, 2020, 10:32 AM [ in reply to Hammond does have athletic scholarships ]

games against Porter Gaud, including the SCISA state title game. That PG team was led by Kris Middleton who has gone on to become an above-average NBA player despite coming out of SCISA.

The issue with Jennings was that he was a stretch big in HS with a lethal 3-point shot. However, once he got to Clemson he couldn't shoot. He was just 29.7% from behind the arc during his Clemson career. And he never really had big man skills despite being 6'9". I'm not sure i would blame that on lack of competition in HS though. Pinewood aggressively scheduled other big east coast HS basketball programs. I think it's more likely that he just couldn't adapt to the level of defense played at the college level and in the ACC, in particular. That's not something you are going to go up against in AAU ball or all-star games.

Feb 6, 2020, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Hammond ]

They played a small school from the northeast to start with football season and got absolutely destroyed.

Hammond had Burch and the other school had Julien Flemming who is a 5 star WR.

It got ugly in a hurry because outside of Hammond's 3-4 players they were terrible.

Those 3-4 let them dominate in their league games though.

I'm not sure how many of those 7 D1 guys went to good schools, but I couldn't find 7 guys with Power 5 talent on the field for Hammond that day. I'm not sure they have 7 guys with Group of 5 or above talent.

There could be some reaches because the kids looked good on a team that dominated their league.

Feb 6, 2020, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Hammond ]

Money talks and BS walks. Plus they provide an excellent Pre-college education. Has the highest rate of HS Seniors who go on to 4 year colleges in the State.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 12:37 PM

and that has nothing to do with their student body having rich parents?

There aren't any poor people at Hammond.

In fact, the ones that don't go to college are probably in jail since Hammond is where the rich kids go when they are kicked out of public school.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2020, 10:03 AM

My son attended Cardinal Newman High School, a SCISA rival to Hammond. I think Hammond has pretty consistently dominated its SCISA rivals in football but nothing else. I suspect scholarships may be the reason you see so many D1 signees coming out of Hammond and zero from other SCISA schools like Cardinal Newman, Heathwood Hall, Ben Lippen or Augusta Christian.

Feb 6, 2020, 10:33 AM

Your son got a better education then at Cardinal Newman or Ben Lippen. My grandson went to Ben Lippen.

Feb 6, 2020, 11:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Hammond ]

Hammond football in the last handful of years = Porter Gaud basketball in the last handful of years.

Pinewood Prep used to do the same in basketball. The schools that are willing to bend the SCISA rules for success in a specific sport can be absolutely dominant if they go get the players.

Feb 6, 2020, 10:25 AM

Cuz Muscoot’s kids go there....it’s good to have connections.

Re: $$$$

Feb 6, 2020, 10:28 AM

Kids with well off parents. They can make multiple combine type events, travel farther, pay trainers, etc...

Helps with visibility anyway. One gets noticed, coaches come watch, notice more rich kids. Cycle, rinse, repeat

My high school used to go to Hammond

Feb 6, 2020, 12:42 PM

Twice a year for tennis matches. I played many close matches against Hammond. We would easily beat Cardinal-Newman each year, Lowe to Heathwood Hall and Hammond would be the swing match.

Pretty dumb that a school in Greenville had to go to Columbia 3 times for “region” matches

Feb 7, 2020, 9:46 AM

Only Burch and Huntley are legit prospects at the D1 level. Burch is totally based on measurables. When you compare his tape to a Breese or Clowney in High School it is light years behind. Huntley did look impressive in the game I watched and on tape.

Many of their decent Football and Basketball Players are on scholarship.

Jeff Scott is a Hammond grad***

Feb 7, 2020, 12:26 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2020, 2:50 PM

Stanton Seckinger went to Porter.

I though he did a good job for the Tigers. Game winning TD against Georgia I believe.

Charleston’s First Baptist’s HS Mikey Dukes sez “hello!”***

Feb 7, 2020, 3:09 PM

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic