Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Word of advice to ticket buyers on StubHub
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Word of advice to ticket buyers on StubHub

Jan 6, 2017, 1:34 PM

Take this with a grade of slaw:

Most of the tickets for sale (especially on the Bama side) are by brokers. They constantly try to act like "market makers" as you would see on Wall Street. They can de-list and re-list tickets at will to try to control the market. You'll notice the supply drop quickly (lower priced tickets go kaput). Those lower priced tickets weren't necessarily sold (you can check); and then 5 minutes later supply increases back to where it just came from and you see those same tickets listed. But now these lowest priced tickets that were just "re-introduced" to the market seem like a steal. Nervous Nelly buyers then pull the trigger.

Don't fall for this tactic. Prices should come down once sellers create competition against each other as they will get nervous and won't be able to afford losing out on such expensive tickets. Don't expect last year's prices, but expect lower before kickoff.

With that said, I could see prices continue to rise for the next 24-48 hours until sellers really start sweating.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is true.

Jan 6, 2017, 1:39 PM

Prices and inventory have not moved all day. Most people aren't paying these prices.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Word of advice to ticket buyers on StubHub

Jan 6, 2017, 1:41 PM

Thank you ! My wife and I really want to go but cannot afford some of these prices. I am hoping to pick up a pair for around $700 a piece late Sunday. Do you think that is possible ?

There were 2 for $700 (+ massive fees) each on there about 2

Jan 6, 2017, 1:45 PM

hours ago...

I think they'll come down but not as much as the OP thinks. Some of the tickets listed are folks planning to go the game - but if someone is dumb enough to pay them $900 for them, they'll sell them and stay home...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There were 2 for $700 (+ massive fees) each on there about 2

Jan 6, 2017, 1:50 PM

I have been on Stub Hub all day and haven't seen anything close to $700. How do you monitor it ? All I do is keep the web page open and keep refreshing. Is there a better way. Sorry for questions, but I normally go through the University and have never used StubHub.

I was listening on an on-line meeting - so I was just

Jan 6, 2017, 1:57 PM

refreshing my browser every few seconds and saw it appear for a couple of clicks.. Nothing fancy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were ones yesterday that sold for $500 and $600 one after the other.

Jan 6, 2017, 2:01 PM

These are individuals trying to be nice/not knowing what they're doing, or it's a broker messing with the public. Either way, brokers snatched them and re-listed the same exact tickets 15 minutes later for a few hundred dollars more. We're pretty sure the brokers have bots that automatically buy tickets set below a certain price from "market."

Yep - it's actually been interesting watching the on-line

Jan 6, 2017, 2:29 PM

market in action this week.

Those were 1 offs. Probably individual sellers (not brokers) trying

Jan 6, 2017, 1:50 PM [ in reply to There were 2 for $700 (+ massive fees) each on there about 2 ]

to quickly unload. I've been tracking StubHub all day. Prices have been around $900-950 the entire time. They are slowly creeping up right now.

But as I said in my original post, the supply is staying fairly constant. It has dipped a little bit in the last 10-15 minutes, but I still think a lot of it is manipulation by the brokers.

Also, I didn't say exactly where I thought ticket prices would be, so not sure you can assume "not as much as the OP thinks." I literally just replied to the one guy saying I didn't think it would realistically drop to $700 by Sunday night.

I forgot to mention - I'm a mind reader. ;-) My apologies.

Jan 6, 2017, 1:55 PM

To be more accurate, I should have said "They're not going to drop as low as I think the OP thinks."

Haha, that's more like it! ;)***

Jan 6, 2017, 1:56 PM

Re: Haha, that's more like it! ;)***

Jan 6, 2017, 5:24 PM

I would suggest you find a ticket price you can AFFORD, buy the ticket, and then plan a trip... these are unprecedented times for the Tigers. You will not remember the $ spent when you are on your deathbed but WILL remember the fond memories. Also, all festivities hinge on a ticket. The ticket will allow access in to the tailgate. No other way in. Go Tigers.

Because of the additional 20% StubHub fee

Jan 6, 2017, 1:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Word of advice to ticket buyers on StubHub ]

assessed to the buyer, I'd be very surprised if you'll see a $700 net price (to include fees) on StubHub on Sunday night. That wouldn't surprise me in the least bit to see that Monday before kickoff though.

If you see it go below $700 net on Sunday night, that bodes well for lower priced tickets on Monday ;)

Word! The amount of tickets have remained b/n 1,700 -1,800

Jan 6, 2017, 1:53 PM

for 2 days now.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly

Jan 6, 2017, 2:09 PM

Thanks for posting this. People need to hold on and quit panicking. The supply isn't dwindling. StubHub prices always come down as kickoff approaches. I've sold many tickets on their for big games and I've had to gradually drop them as we get closer to the day. It will happen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

*on there. Blech.***

Jan 6, 2017, 2:10 PM

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Jan 6, 2017, 2:21 PM

Seems like very few tickets have left StubHub in the last 24 hours. I think it's a holdout on both sides. Will be very interesting to see what happens in the next two days. I'm guessing there's a percentage of buyers who can't make last minute travel plans and the weather may throw a wrench in travel plans as well.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:13 PM

If you wait until right before kickoff and buy them on your phone can you use your phone to scan in your ticket or do you have to have a printed hard copy?

This is a really good question, that I was also wondering.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:19 PM

Lucky for me I'll have access to a printer where I'm tailgating.

Re: This is a really good question, that I was also wondering.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:25 PM

Trying to hook up a fellow tiger? ill bring you a beer

If you're in a bind while there, send me a T-mail.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:32 PM

I'll be at my tailgate house across the street from the stadium and checking my phone until I purchase a ticket.

I can't make any promises with the state of my sobriety though! ;)

Re: This is a really good question, that I was also wondering.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:33 PM [ in reply to This is a really good question, that I was also wondering. ]

Except you won't be able to print them. StubHub makes you pick them up at their instant service center a couple blocks away.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some are instant download on StubHub.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:40 PM

Or what if you purchase from an IPTAY member who just forwards the ticket email? Would you have to print out or would the barcode scan from the mobile device?

Jan 6, 2017, 5:16 PM

I'm holding out. I refuse to pay current prices. As badly as I want to go, $1200+ for a ticket is insanity. Be patient and keep waiting. The winter storm may prevent some people from going - bad for them, good for the rest of us.

a lot is true

Jan 6, 2017, 5:23 PM

but the brokers (who probably own 80%-90% of the inventory on stubhub now) are trying to figure out how much the brokers who are short will pay and how short they are.

We sold 8 this morning to a very large broker out of TX at high prices. They will pay no matter what it takes.

Also, you do need to know the big brokers are doing $20-$100 million in sales so losing $10,000 - $20,000 is just not that much. They will hold out for a very long time.

Thankfully, Bama fans keep selling which is providing some inventory for the market and the short brokers.

Good insight, thanks.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:29 PM

My plan is to wait until gametime. I could even stand to wait until AFTER the game starts. Doesn't StubHub allow you to purchase tickets after gametime or is it event specific?

Just called StubHub to confirm.

Jan 6, 2017, 5:54 PM

They have a grace period where you can still purchase tickets for up to 90 minutes after the game starts. The ticket pickup location is about a 10-15 minute walk from the stadium (if you don't buy the immediate download ones).

So if you don't have to be in the stadium exactly at kickoff, this may be an option for some people to at least see most of the game in the stadium. You'll probably miss at least the first 30 minutes or more, depending on when you purchase.

Re: a lot is true

Jan 6, 2017, 5:31 PM [ in reply to a lot is true ]

Where are the brokers getting so many tickets? Just trying to figure out how they get tickets to just resale?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly! Regardless of the sporting event

Jan 6, 2017, 5:28 PM

Ticket prices ALWAYS come down as kickoff approaches. Basic economics

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic