Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Had the FURMAN Coaches come by my High School
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Had the FURMAN Coaches come by my High School

May 1, 2019, 12:38 PM

the other day. They told us they were looking for great kids that were great athletes that had a 1300 SAT. We all looked at each other and laughed, said yea we want that too!
We have some great kids here, we have some good athletes here, we have some kids that will make a 1300 SAT, but they aren't the same kid! LOL!! Some people are just to darn picky!!!! LOL

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Furman is a great school. They don’t need dumb people

May 1, 2019, 12:45 PM

bringing their academic standing down...even if they can play a sport. I have a lot of respect for that.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Furman is a great school. They don’t need dumb people

May 1, 2019, 12:51 PM

We do acknowledge that there are many smart people who don't make 1300 on the SAT! We even have had a few great athletes that made a 1300 on the SAT, we just don't have them now! We have one in class of 2021 that will have all those qualities. as a Soph right now he is 5'11, 190lb LB that runs 4.5 and all A's in AP classes.

Re: Had the FURMAN Coaches come by my High School

May 1, 2019, 12:59 PM

And while a fine school, there's not a campus full of 1300's at Furman either.

Still, their average score is approximately 1300.

May 1, 2019, 1:15 PM

I don’t like the idea that a school should disrespect their academics to recruit athletes. I know we do it but I still don’t like it.

I don’t find it worthy of a “lol” that they would attempt to find athletes that have high scores in academics.

Should have added, Clemson’s average SAT is over

May 1, 2019, 1:18 PM

1200 IIRC.

May 1, 2019, 1:33 PM

There are some kids, out there like that, but they sure don't come by the bag full.

May 1, 2019, 1:52 PM

Imagine selecting athletes based off of standardized testing.... That's awful.

May 1, 2019, 1:52 PM

Clemson's SAT scores are now higher than Furman's. Not many people want to spend all of that money on a private school to get a liberal arts degree these days.

May 1, 2019, 2:06 PM

I would agree wholeheartedly with that assumption!

I just saw the average for our freshman class is 1308...

May 1, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Had the FURMAN Coaches come by my High School ]

Didn’t realize it was that high. I wonder what the average score is for the football team?

Yes, Clemson is the hardest school in SC to get into.

May 1, 2019, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: Had the FURMAN Coaches come by my High School ]

Something I am very proud of as a Clemson alum.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Personally

May 1, 2019, 3:09 PM

I don’t think we should put any weight in standardized testing. All of my sisters, and my mother are teachers, and they all say they have really smart kids who just can’t seem to take standardized tests. Heck even the creator of standardized testing said, “these tests are too crude to use and should be abandoned.” But I don’t see a problem with schools allowing athletes to get in with lower scores if it brings in money to the university.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can guarandamntee you ...

May 1, 2019, 5:21 PM

that the vast majority of the players on the Furman football team did not make a 1300 on the SAT.

Heck...I doubt any of the did.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

May 1, 2019, 8:31 PM

I'm amazed at the level Nortwestern is able to compete in the B1G with their SAT score 1400 (690 - Reading and Writing and 710 - Math). The new SAT perfect score is 1600 and it appears NW would possibly accept 1370 (4 or 5* stud).

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 1, 2019, 8:44 PM

I tutor a lot of athletes. I have one young man the is being recruited by Harvard and they want at least a 1300 but better a 1400. Pretty sure he will get that score soon. I tutor an athlete going to Vanderbilt (average SAT 1520 and $72k/year) and they will settle for a 1300 which isn't that hard with a tutor. I once had the number one tennis doubles player in the country who got a 1600. These guys know how to work and put in much more effort than average student.

May 1, 2019, 8:50 PM

I doubt all their kids have SATs that high...but I respect Furman for trying to keep their standards as high as possible. Honestly, I wish all schools (Clemson included) were only allowed to accept kids who were no more than some percentage lower than the entire student body median...or some other standard metric. Current thresholds are too low and a lot of these great athletes have no business in college. Instead of lowering standards, we need to raise expectations for all kids...athlete or not.

Which begs the question

May 1, 2019, 9:19 PM

Were you and Noodle and other academic equality advocates
part of the fire Leggett, Brownell, Batson, and others crowd
when Clemson was graduating players but not winning enough
to keep us happy? If so, that's a big ole hypocritical
double standard, wanna have my cake and eat it too attitude.

You can have smart athletes and there are a lot of them, but
if we are honest with ourselves, you can't realistically field
championship level football, basketball, and baseball teams
where all the players are near, at, or above the average academic
standards for the school. For example, Duke is an excellent
school with SAT average of 1380. Does anyone think all of their
5 star one and done basketball players who rarely come back and
graduate are near, at, or above the average academically?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Which begs the question

May 1, 2019, 9:51 PM

I get where you are coming from...but I don’t recall posting about any coaches hiring/firing or whatever...I could be wrong and I’m sure someone will remind me if so.

I can honestly say that although I get much joy out of watching Clemson excel and win in any sport, i would feel just as much pride in my time and degree from Clemson if we had no athletic teams at all. The sports make it more fun, but it doesn’t define Clemson for me personally. I know it sounds corny and cliche, but for me it really is about how you play the game.

I would much rather see a bunch of academically eligible/proficient 1 and 2 star athletes on the field than kids who can’t read/write at an 8th grade level representing my university. Don’t get me wrong, I know we are better than most. We have some great kids and I am glad we can give some from poor/horrible backgrounds a hand up. But some kids have been allowed to skate by their entire life because of their athletic ability. Hey...I say good for them and I hope they make it...but I don’t think universities should compromise their principles just because their grade schools did. We do them and everyone else a disservice when we do.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic