Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
H. Johnson, T. Israel, Z. Cooper, and K. Bryant
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

H. Johnson, T. Israel, Z. Cooper, and K. Bryant

Nov 7, 2018, 3:46 PM

Of the four QB transfers listed in the "subject" line, this is the order of the amount of interest that I have about their futures.

Hunter Johnson didn't get much playing time, but performed very well when he did. Although I don't remember an official statement when he announced his transfer, he didn't bad mouth Clemson when he transferred. As an aside, I would have loved to have seen him play more in last year's loss to Syracuse.

Tucker Israel got less playing time than Hunter Johnson, didn't perform as well as Hunter Johnson when he did, but said very nice things about Clemson in his official statement with respect to his transfer.

Zerrick Cooper played the majority of last year's loss to Syracuse and reminded me of Kelly Bryant with respect to running the RPO offense, and the inability to complete medium and long passes. Also, he could not run as good as KB. I don't remember an official statement when he announced his transfer, he didn't bad mouth Clemson when he transferred.

Kelly Bryant gets a lot of credit from me for working hard and biding his time behind Deshaun Watson, and getting his degree. Unfortunate for KB, along comes Trevor Lawrence who had all of the physical tools, played beyond his years immediately, and developed at a very fast rate. This left Dabo with a situation on his hands. As we all know, Dabo used the first 4 games as a competition with KB being the starter. Trevor won the competition, and Dabo named him the starter, before the 5th game, allowing KB the option to transfer while truly hoping that he wouldn't. Dabo even left the door open for KB to back out of his transfer decision. We will never know, but KB would probably have gotten a good bit to playing time as a back-up. I don't blame KB for transferring, but his statements about not being given a fair chance did not set well with me. If he didn't truly feel that way, it bothers me that he never retracted the statement. KB's statement led to a lot of unwarranted bad press for the school that I dearly love.

For these reasons, I wish Johnson, Israel, and Cooper well in their future endeavors, and have an interest in keeping up with them. However, even though I wish KB well in his future endeavors, I have essentially no interest in them.

Message was edited by: AeroTiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No matter who you vote for, BUY AMERICAN...it's a vote for American jobs.

Well said! I concur.***

Nov 7, 2018, 3:52 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Thanks RU4GOD2! I tried to be careful with my wording! :-)***

Nov 8, 2018, 12:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: H. Johnson, T. Israel, Z. Cooper, and K. Bryant

Nov 7, 2018, 3:55 PM

One correction - I don't know about Tucker Israel when he left, but when KB announced the transfer, Israel was all over Twitter with some pretty non-complimentary posts.

Whatever - hopefully he's conquered his battle with anorexia and fits in that prom dress now..

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 4:01 PM

Were his Twitter posts noncomplementary about KB or Clemson? I guess that I missed them.

Nov 7, 2018, 4:02 PM

About Clemson. It was a pretty big thing online the day KB took his ball and went home.

Nov 7, 2018, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: H. Johnson, T. Israel, Z. Cooper, and K. Bryant ]

https://twitter.com/TI8__/status/1044961415575076864

https://twitter.com/TI8__/status/1044991347827052545

Nov 7, 2018, 4:02 PM

KB went 12-2 as a starter for Clemson. The other three combined never won a game here , never started a game here .
Now I am not one to deny that KB didn't handle it well , or said some things I disagreed with ... but I will always be a fan of his because he fought hard on the field ...even though he sort of layed down when faced with his starting position being rested away from him .
The others I wish well . Once a Tiger always a Tiger ... unless you quit during the summer after signing with Clemson . Then no .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Well stated Dug

Nov 7, 2018, 4:28 PM

I'd add that Maria Taylor's comments and possibly some other things about her played in to some of KB's initial negative comments. They seem pretty uhh, close, to put it lightly

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

So you have the least interest in KB's future

Nov 7, 2018, 4:03 PM

but wrote about him as much as you did the other three combined?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct***

Nov 7, 2018, 4:06 PM

Re: So you have the least interest in KB's future

Nov 8, 2018, 11:10 AM [ in reply to So you have the least interest in KB's future ]

So many act like jealous girlfriends after a breakup. If TNET posts a legitimate news article about KB and his possible transfer destinations, dozens of people lose their minds and are shocked that Clemson fans actually care about this guy and his future. There must be some supernatural force which compels the “don’t care” crowd to click on the links and read every single KB article. It’s such an odd way to “not care”.

And then, folks who “don’t care” take the time to write these long diatribes about KB!

Be gracious, wish him well, and move on from the break up.

Re: So you have the least interest in KB's future

Nov 8, 2018, 11:57 AM

I DID wish him well, I DID quit reading the "where is he going" posts, and I still have no interest in his future endeavors...unless he is on a team that plays Clemson. Then, I would like for our team to pressure him, sack him, tackle him, and intercept him MANY times...and I would like this even more than against the average opposing QB.

Nov 7, 2018, 4:16 PM

This site is weird.

I would have other criteria

Nov 7, 2018, 4:16 PM

for having interest in them than just what they said when they left, but to each his own. KB meant more to Clemson than the others based on his playing time and wins. So I actually have more interest in KB than the others. But that's just my opinion

Nov 7, 2018, 4:39 PM

I think you understanding of Dabo's timing is incorrect. Dabo made it very clear that he had no idea KB would quit the team. He said, "...it never crossed my mind". The "timing" was based on TL's performance in the GT game and had nothing to do with the 4-game Redshirt rule. All the talking heads praised Dabo for the timing, but the "timing" was not his reason, it was Trevor's GT performance alone.

I took no offense to KB saying...

Nov 7, 2018, 4:58 PM

he felt like he'd been slapped in the face. I've had life slap me around many times and I fully understand how it feels to have reality do that. I don't know what part of 'Trevor is the better quarterback,' was such a surprise to him. I doubt most who followed Clemson closely were surprised.

I might have got a little miffed that he quit but I'm over it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I took no offense to KB saying...

Nov 8, 2018, 9:07 AM

I somewhat understood KB saying that it was a slap in the face, it was the "not given a fair chance" statement that really got under my skin.

do you like pina colodas?***

Nov 7, 2018, 5:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: do you like pina colodas?***

Nov 8, 2018, 10:13 AM

I'm more of a margarona man myself.

The only bad press Clemson got from KBs statement was on SOCIAL media

Nov 7, 2018, 5:22 PM

from those of us who felt offended and protective of our coach and university. Please feel free to post a link to any bad press you've otherwise found. In fact, most press I heard were complimentary of Dabo's stellar handling of a tricky situation.

null

Re: The only bad press Clemson got from KBs statement was on SOCIAL media

Nov 8, 2018, 9:01 AM

The very fact that Kelly Bryant was quoted by many outlets of the press as saying that he was not given a fair chance is bad press. I somewhat understand the slap in the face comment, but the comment about not being given a fair chance was completely wrong. If KB would be a man and retract that statement in public, then I would again have an interest in his future endeavors (noting that I did say that I wished him well). As far as bad press, Maria Tayler and Desmond Howard were very negative towards Clemson about this situation, and the "slap in the face" and "not given a fair chance" comments aided their negativity towards Clemson. Had Kelly Bryant made a statement to the effect that he appreciated his time at Clemson but that he has decided to transfer to better advance his college football career, the amount of negative press would have been greatly reduced.

Nov 8, 2018, 11:11 AM

It was only one outlet, The Greenville News.

Nov 8, 2018, 11:50 AM

Will you pay me $1000 for my time if I can prove that Desmond Howard repeated it?

Nov 8, 2018, 12:20 PM

Good post and I agree with most of what you said. The statement though that KB was biding his time behind Watson is consistent with the way some analysts portrayed it, without more accurately pointing out that KB was actually backing up Nick Schuessler for the same reason he was beaten out by TL - the passing game.

The Hunter Johnson situation is still a mystery to me as to why he didn't get more pt. I liked what I saw of him, but I trust the coaches. Looking forward to seeing him play, and anxious to see how good he can be, especially after not playing much for 3 years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wish them all well....thank them for their Clemson time

Nov 8, 2018, 12:52 PM

Good luck men

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 8, 2018, 1:36 PM

Good job.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive