Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I saw a Grizzard reference just now in a post, and it got
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

I saw a Grizzard reference just now in a post, and it got

Oct 20, 2016, 8:24 AM

me thinking about a Grizzard question I have always had. I was only a casual Grizzard follower, maybe if I had listened closer I would already know the answer, but, the question is, "Why WAS Wayman C. Wannamaker Jr. a Great American?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Grizzard reference

Oct 20, 2016, 8:41 AM

Wayman C. Wannamaker was a Great American SIMPLY because Lewis Grizzard said so.

As a casual listener, you obviously missed out on a LOT, as he had a most amazing talent (IMHO) to tell a story. I used to rip open the AJC (Atl Journal Constitution) editorial section to read his column weekly. He was also the author of many books, and spoke at numerous engagements, ceremonies, etc. I encourage you to try and find any tapes of his live/standup performances, as he will literally have you in tears, if not 'stitches'.

I could probably waste an hour of your time quoting some of his material, but will leave you with the one that hit the closest to 'home' for this Clemson man. When discussing the rival institutions of his beloved UGA, he always referred to us as 'Auburn with a lake'.

It seems all too often the (very) good die young (which will hopefully result in my longevity), and Lewis Grizzard left us way too soon! Though he now may rest in peace, his legacy of humor, one liners and humorous take on many of the days real world events - and his childhood - will live on forever with lines like: "that dog will bite you"; "Elvis is dead and I don't feel too well, myself"; and "Instead of getting married again, every seven years I am just going to go out and find a woman I hate and buy her a house!".

Long 'live' Lewis Grizzard.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Oct 20, 2016, 8:57 AM

"Life is like a dogsled team. If you ain't the lead dog, the scenery never changes."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2016, 9:21 AM [ in reply to Re: Grizzard reference ]

He was one of the all-time greats.. He could write serious columns, also. I recall one that he told about his dad and the Korean War. A very poignant story- He had been captured and tortured, and had never fully recovered.
He could write funny stuff, though. Like the time he sang in public and got mixed reviews. Some said he was awful. Others said that didn't begin to describe it.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't forget the greatest sports headline ever...

Oct 20, 2016, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Grizzard reference ]

http://www.catfishandcornbread.com/2008/09/greatest-headline-in-history-of-sports.html

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Oct 20, 2016, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Grizzard reference ]

I actually have his last book, "I took a Lickin and kept on Ticking". And, I have watched some Youtube videos of some of his standup. One of my favorite bits was him talking about "the Jawja mascot UGA licking himself where bulldogs are wont to lick, on National TV, and a friend saying, Man, I wish I could do that! To which Grizzard replied, THAT DOG'd BITE YOUUU!"

While he was alive the only way I kind of knew him was from his newspaper columns, which were always wickedly funny, even when they were sad serious.

Oct 20, 2016, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Grizzard reference ]

When he passed away I felt like l had lost an old friend.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2016, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Grizzard reference ]

When he passed away I felt like l had lost an old friend.

Re: I saw a Grizzard reference just now in a post, and it got

Oct 20, 2016, 9:23 AM

He was hilarious! We went to see him one time and as he started each story, everyone began to laugh because they had heard it before. The audience literally laughed the entire time. I also liked the fact that he wore loafers with no socks...

Oct 20, 2016, 10:36 AM

my mom got me one of his tapes once. I'm sure she had no idea how dirty it was.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2016, 12:40 PM [ in reply to Re: I saw a Grizzard reference just now in a post, and it got ]

It's just as well he is gone now, because he would never have come out of this Confederate Flag stuff unscathed.

That reminds me of another punch line at end of one of his bits about the Civil War.

"General, it's a trick. There's TWO of 'em!"

Yep! The Stone Mtn/It's a Trick was one of my faves!!

Oct 20, 2016, 12:51 PM

Definitely tell who the children of the 70s and 80s are, can't you?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: Yep! The Stone Mtn/It's a Trick was one of my faves!!

Oct 20, 2016, 1:00 PM

My favorite is still the one about UGA, but I loved the one about his best friend "sittin up with the dead" when he was only 13 and the GA Tech engineered straps that were holding down the corpse broke. I also remember the bumper sticker that said "Honk if you've been married to Lewis Grizzard."

Oct 20, 2016, 2:27 PM

In his last book, he talked about meeting his last wife, the one he finally married literally on his deathbed.

"I turned around at the bar, and there was all the hair in the world. I said to myself, I must see what is on the other side of this hair!"

Oct 20, 2016, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Yep! The Stone Mtn/It's a Trick was one of my faves!! ]

Yep, you probably can NEVER guess what year I graduated!

Weyman C Wannamaker Jr was afraid of ghosts....

Oct 20, 2016, 5:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jxky2HOJEOs

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Jerry Clower was also a fine teller of a story***

Oct 20, 2016, 8:20 PM

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic