Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Greatest Clemson Basket ball Win?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Greatest Clemson Basket ball Win?

Feb 18, 2013, 11:49 AM

Instead of the negative basketball talk (me included) recently let's talk about something positive.

What's our biggest/best win in basketball in your opinion?

For me, it has to be when we beat # 1 Duke in 1980 in Littlejohn in front of the largest crowd ever to see a game there (people were sitting in every aisle, etc. - the fire department has since said they won't allow that ever again).

It was as loud that night as I've ever heard in Littlejohn and we took it to them - don't remember the final score but we were in charge!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Buckner dunk to beat UNC***

Feb 18, 2013, 11:51 AM

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Beating wake and tim duncan my freshman yr.***

Feb 18, 2013, 11:57 AM

^^^^^THIS BY FAR, BEST EVER!!^^^^^

Feb 18, 2013, 6:12 PM

Camped out all night (in the freeeeeezing weather!) to get tickets, was way way way far back in the line.... someone though they called line... it was really someone going to the bathroom. A friend of mine went in to see why they wouldn't pass out tickets yet if they were already in there with them - said they needed help setting up. She came and got us, we helped set up, and ended up with 2nd row seats behind the Clemson bench. (a row in front of the people who were 1st in the camping line!)

I'll never forget it!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

It's either this one or beating DUKE in the ACC Semis***

Feb 18, 2013, 2:00 PM [ in reply to Buckner dunk to beat UNC*** ]

I agree. 87-82 in overtime in front of 13,864 fans....

Feb 18, 2013, 12:04 PM

I was at center court about 20 rows up sitting in the aisle. Moose Campbell got the best of Gminski on that night, but they both put on one helluva show. Hands down the best back and forth college game I have ever witnessed in person.

When Clemson took the lead for the final time the place went crazy. Duke called timeout and I still remember being stunned at how the crowd became even louder during the timeout. It looked as though the Duke players could not hear the coaches for the crowd noise.

As you know, that victory spurred Clemson to its only Elite 8 appearance and an ultimate loss to UCLA.

I remember the game was not televised, but walking back across the intramural field toward Johnstone after the game an NBC Sports helicopter was landing to get the scoop.

Good times

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree. 87-82 in overtime in front of 13,864 fans....

Feb 18, 2013, 1:43 PM

was absolutly crazy...there were no steps that weren't occupied. Looking across Little John and you simply saw a wall of people...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tought we lost to UCONN in the Eilte 8?***

Feb 18, 2013, 2:01 PM [ in reply to I agree. 87-82 in overtime in front of 13,864 fans.... ]

Sweet 16 in the Meadowlands !! *****

Feb 18, 2013, 3:56 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Winning the old North-South Doubleheader in 1967(?) was

Feb 18, 2013, 4:10 PM [ in reply to I agree. 87-82 in overtime in front of 13,864 fans.... ]

pretty big (2 games NC State and UNC). Also, beating KY at Rupp pretty nice.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Won $50 from a stupid/besotted unc fan once

Feb 18, 2013, 6:27 PM

who bet me Clemson had NEVER beaten unc in North Carolina

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree. Never will be that many fans in Littlejohn again

Feb 18, 2013, 6:58 PM [ in reply to I agree. 87-82 in overtime in front of 13,864 fans.... ]

I'm sure the fire marshall was going nuts.

Clemson had a student policy back then that EVERY student with an activities card was admitted.

Every aisle was full and the corridor between the lower and upper levels was packed so bad you could move.

I have never seen Littlejohn like that before or since.

I stood in line for hours in the cold to get in. By the time the game started I had a fever. Went straight to Redfern after and they made me spend the night. Used to do that back then.

i have only been around since 1987 and really only a fan

Feb 18, 2013, 12:05 PM

since about 1995 (8 yrs old) but i'd have to say it'd be either:

2001 vs. UNC when Stockman takes a 3 point shot while we were up 4 against #1 UNC. The whole crowd and Larry Shyatt let out a huge sigh as if to say "what the he!! is he doing" then the shot goes in, we go up 7 and go on to beat the Tar Holes

2009 vs. Duke when they were a top 5 team and we beat them 74-47 and I can remember Coach Kyasdfiernczki calling timeout with less than 1 minute left and never even addressed the team. he only wanted to let the Dukies here the Littlejohn crowd. it was awesome. if i'm not mistaken, it was a college gameday game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greatest Clemson Basket ball Win?

Feb 18, 2013, 12:07 PM

Clemson 92---defending a national champs, NC Sate, David Thompson, Tim Stoddard, Phil Spence and ai think Monte Towe 70 .....best Clemon game I ever saw...Buckner- UNC is second

Buckner dunk to win over NC***

Feb 18, 2013, 1:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big tourney win! I miss Greg!***

Feb 18, 2013, 1:43 PM

Those who were there would agree with the Duke win...

Feb 18, 2013, 1:55 PM

...as much for the sheer spectacle as the final score.

One that often gets overlooked was the 68-67 overtime win the year before at Kentucky. To me, that's the game that set the table for the Elite 8 run the next year.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

12/3/1963 Clemson beat UNC 66-64 in double OT in the old

Feb 18, 2013, 4:25 PM

field house. So many students were there that they were sitting in the rafters over the court.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Greatest Clemson Basket ball Win?

Feb 18, 2013, 5:05 PM

I am in the same boat as easleytigr (born in 88). I'd have to say the 2009 Duke game. I was a student and sitting on the floor. I was right under the basket when Trevor dunked on Singler and Zoubek.

I don't know about the best game ever

Feb 18, 2013, 6:19 PM

But the 09 duke game was the most fun I've been to. When oglesby bricked that dunk the look on OP's face was priceless.

How 'bout the Chris Michael jumper to beat UNC in 1984-85

Feb 18, 2013, 6:43 PM

season. Think the score was 52-50. Littlejohn went absolutely nuts!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic