Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change

Jun 12, 2020, 2:15 PM

Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change

The decision to take John C. Calhoun’s name off the Honors College and to ask the state’s general assembly to allow the university to take the Tillman name off of the Old Main building was not taken lightly by the school’s Board of Trustees, and the wheels were set in motion back in 2018 with a vote set for July of 2020. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change

Jun 12, 2020, 2:43 PM

They may have started this effort in 2018, but the timing unfortunately wont give any credit to that. It looks like an immediate knee jerk response to those looking in from outside. I dont have big issue with it other than the “slippery slope” aspect of all this re-naming/removal stuff, but I hate the timing. Wish Clemson could be viewed as just doing it because it is the right thing to do instead of appearing to do it only in response to pressure.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Headlines CU BOT change names due pro football players pressure***

Jun 12, 2020, 2:46 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great perspective.

Jun 12, 2020, 11:36 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change ]

I do understand where you are coming from but this great country of ours does sometimes need a spark for meaningful change.

They are there in history from Rosa Parks to MLK.

The bible teaches us to love one another. Even love our ENEMIES.

Why is this so hard for us to understand is beyond me. This situation lately has hurt our black brothers, so renaming a building hurts the white community? How?

This whole thing has hurt me to see. We have a long way to go brothers.

Message was edited by: PACIFIC BEACH TIGER®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great perspective.

Jun 13, 2020, 1:37 AM

What ever your thoughts, we have certainly moved to the yin.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2020, 5:09 PM [ in reply to Great perspective. ]

Just a bit of irony for folks to chew on.

Getting rid of John C. Calhoun is not only getting rid of his slave ownership--it's getting rid of all of him, political theory and all, and that really is a shame. Calhoun was the political theorist who came up with the idea of the concurrent majority--the idea of guaranteeing minorities a voice and preventing them from being outnumbered and silenced by a numerical majority. Seems like such an idea could be helpful now.

Folks will say, but he owned slaves and he meant WHITE minorities. I'm sure he did. But the idea could have been salvaged and reworked for the exact kind of change people are talking about now.

Jun 15, 2020, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Great perspective. ]

just hoping folks will be able to learn rom history and continue to build and improve on traditions...removing history good and or bad removes the base from which knowledge is built a thought a scary thought

Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change

Jun 15, 2020, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change ]

There is never a wrong time to do the right thing. Do the best you can do every day, never put off a good deed in order to get more credit at a later time.

Jun 12, 2020, 3:57 PM

I'm hopeful that DW4 or Nuk will give bring the fact this has been on the table for a while to light.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 4:45 PM

My name is available if anyone wants to put it on any of the buildings around campus.

Jun 12, 2020, 5:20 PM

Wasn’t Clemson University named after a former slave owner?
Wasn’t the campus built on the land the slaves actually worked on?
Where does this insanity stop? Football players ARE NOT HEROES.
Eli Lilly developed insulin which saved millions of lives...
He is a real hero. This world has gone nuts!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2020, 10:55 PM

1. Yes. The Clemson family was/is from Pennsylvania. I believe that TGC inherited slaves, like Robert Lee, but he never actually bought a slave, or traded in slavery. The Emancipation Proclamation issued early in 1863 freed slaves only in those states which were under rebellion, and alotta' good that did(!), but it was the beginning of racial freedom....
2. Slaves never actually worked the land that TGC inherited from his father-in-law.
3. "Insanity" is like the poor, we will always have them....
4. Absolutely - football players, like Hollywood and Pop stars, are not heroes. The media is just interested in what they have to say because everybody's fixated on them, like everybody's paying attention to them because they just "hit one out of the park" and they touched their souls, somehow or another.
5. I am alive today thanks to Eli Lilly insulin. As a Type 1 diabetic and a "pharm-Bio" architect, I helped design one of their "state-of-the-art" insulin production facilities. Many contractors on the job, but I didn't enjoy being the "poster child" on the project. If taking chances and getting things done makes one a hero, then yes - Eli is a hero.
6. Designing a house for a client of mine, almost 40 yrs. ago, he said he also wanted to construct a "place of refuge" for his family just in case "the wheel ever comes off the cart..." I believe today the wheel is wobbling and just about to fall off. (He didn't kill me afterwards, and I know where it is and how to get there - hahaha!)

Jun 13, 2020, 2:46 AM

7. With whatever Clemson was before this decision, judging by Tigernet and larger concensus, it is certainly divided now.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I got news for you p6

Jun 13, 2020, 8:18 AM

If we are judging by TigerNet, we’ve been divided for a long time on everything except football, and we were divided on football until about 10 years ago. Winning changes a lot of things.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 15, 2020, 9:18 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change ]

what division.... Is there someone that wants John C. Calhoun's name to remain on the honor's college? I do not care what they name it! Pitchfork Ben Tillman was an a$$, he probably bargained for his name on the Main Building (funding went to Clemson that USC wanted.)

Jun 12, 2020, 5:50 PM

Good move by the Board of Trustees, and a good statement by the University President. Too bad things moved so slowly in recent months, and that it took the Floyd Affair to accelerate things. It always looks better to do things before the pressure is on.

Jun 13, 2020, 2:23 AM

DeAndre Hopkins can go pound sand for all I care

His whole thing of going around, acting like he's mad at the world, and everyone whose ever come across him owes him an apology got old a long time ago.

Clemson University nor anyone associated with it owes him nothing. All he received was a free education and the ability to hone his skills in the best possible environment out there so he could one day become a 1% and have more money than 99% of Americans will ever see. All because he runs fast and can catch a football. Yet he is still a victim!

If that is the result of being a victim, then sign me up.

If I'm Dabo, he would be aware he can never mention Clemson again it that would be just fine.

Agree. F him.

Jun 13, 2020, 8:30 AM

Coronavirus may facilitate a nice transition to remove college football from my life.

Jun 13, 2020, 8:48 AM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change ]

100% agree with you.

Jun 15, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: TNET: Clements thankful that Deshaun Watson and Nuk Hopkins weighed in on name change ]

I have never seen Nuk angry.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic