Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great article on the game in Raleigh newspaper
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Great article on the game in Raleigh newspaper

Nov 10, 2019, 9:06 AM

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article237207243.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great article on the game in Raleigh newspaper

Nov 10, 2019, 9:13 AM

Didn't read much of it... but his reasoning was dumb and not factual.

Trevor lawrence was still in when we were up 35-0 because it was early second quarter.

I'm not sure the 4th down that we went for it he is talking about, but we were either in the no punt zone early, or it was late and it was actually the courteous thing to do to give them a chance to stop us.

And we scored at the end to give the 3rd/4th/5th string an opportunity to play plays.

The CFP really had nothing to do with it. Otherwise, we could have hung over 70 on them. We didn't. We got up early, then started working on things like a live practice, then got backups quality snaps.

The 4th down was from close to the 50 with about 1:30 left

Nov 10, 2019, 9:35 AM

before halftime. It was roughly 4th and 5 IIRC.

Rather dramatic..

Nov 10, 2019, 9:17 AM

isn't he.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Rather dramatic..

Nov 10, 2019, 9:22 AM

Very interesting......... and stoopid

This writer has a lot of opinions

Nov 10, 2019, 9:17 AM

but I wonder why he didn't have an opinion of the targeting hit to Trevor Lawrence by Deonte Holden that wasn't called.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

Nonsense. You have to play first team to keep them sharp. Pulling them before the end of the first half would be ridiculous. In any case, we took the foot of the pedal most of the second half, and we wouldn't have sniffed the end zone for the last score but for the unbelievably stupid play of the punt returning falling on and missing the punt. You have to pay for stupidity and that score reinforced the lesson to all on the field. Now, The Ohio Buckshots, there is real class.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:23 AM

Joe, probably should read the entire article. It has a lot of merits. I tend to agree with what his take on it is. Same thing with o31o- why leave their first strings in when Maryland had no chance. They threw TD when it was 63-14 and kicked an onside kick.

Players having fun and at the same time, in a sense keeping them happy too and will mean something for championship games. Sometimes you can only work on simulation in practice and it’s different in live games. Dabo isn’t running the score up, just teaching young men how to win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2019, 9:43 AM

Kinda confused. Are you disagreeing with what I said or what I am guessing he said in the article. It looked like he was saying we did those things for playoff purposes... which I think is dumb, we didn't. Dabo has had the same mentality the whole time.

By his “logic” our starters should have only played one drive.

Nov 10, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Great article on the game in Raleigh newspaper ]

He says you should not have starters in when there is no chance the opponent will win. Then goes on to say that NCST had no chance after the first drive.

That’s pretty ridiculous. Typical idiotic and lazy journalism.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 10, 2019, 9:41 AM

Normally I enjoy Luke’s writing but he is a little off on this one. This game is like other games which happened before the first playoff rankings. Dabo is following his formula to keep starters sharp while also giving more backups more time than anyone else in the sport.

But make no mistake, if showing off for the committee was the primary focus, this game would have been 100-7.

Nov 10, 2019, 9:45 AM

Trevor only played the first series in the 3rd quarter and then was taken out. Same with Etienne, too, I think.

In any case, neither played "late into the 3rd quarter."

He has a valid point, but he warped some facts to make it. Didn't need to.

Nov 10, 2019, 11:00 AM

Disagree with him. Need to get starters playing deeper in game, they will need to be prepared to play a 4 quarter game in CFP.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic