Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great Clemson Memories as a child. How many do you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Great Clemson Memories as a child. How many do you

Aug 28, 2012, 7:16 AM

remember?

1. Basketball in Fike - wooden bleachers & very loud
2. 50 cent student ticket to CU games
3. Armed Forces Day on Bowman Field
4. Band Day at Death Valley - area bands all march at halftime
5. Farm & Home Week on Bowman Field
6. May Day Breakfast at the Clemson House
7. Uncle Bill
8. Two theaters - downtown & at the 'Y'
9. Downtown Busineese: Dan's, Snoddy's Jewelry, Harpers 5&10, Rexall's and their soda fountain
10.Later On: The Red Carpet, The Study Hall, Lester's, Bengal Huddle

Go Tigers!

Message was edited by: Tigerpaw53®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great Clemson Memories as a child. How many do you

Aug 28, 2012, 7:18 AM

I believe you mean Basketball in Fike?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

You are correct sir. My sister worked in Sikes, my bad.***

Aug 28, 2012, 7:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My Greatest Clemson Memory as a Child

Aug 28, 2012, 8:08 AM

A long time ago, my grandparents (who have now passed) took their RV to Death Valley every friday night and stayed until sunday. In 1990 they took me to my first game and I got to stay with them all weekend. I was able to experience, as a 5 year old, the electric atmoshpere and the unbeleiveable sights and sounds of gameday in the valley.
It was at that point that my life changed and I was in love with everything Clemson. 22 years later and I am still in awe of how amazing this place is and the incredible atmosphere that we bring every saturday in fall.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2012, 8:10 AM

every one of them

Oddly enough, I never set foot on Clemson's campus

Aug 28, 2012, 8:27 AM

until I arrived as a Frosh in August 1965. Some upperclassmen approached me even before my parents left, greeted them, and then "instructed" me to follow. My Dad laughed, as he knew what would follow. From that moment on throughout Rat Season, those boys were relentless indoctrinating all of us into all things Clemson with the greatest emphasis being on the Clemson/Carolina rivalry. The younger TNet crowd may be interested to know that in those days winning the ACC (we did three of my four years there) was hardly a blip on the screen, but beating the Gamecocks took priority over everything else. The upperclassmen did a hel!ova job turning us into raging maniacs against Carolina, and that's why so many of that era place such emphasis on that game and largely sneer at the ACC. And I'll add, the travesty committed against Clemson by the ACC in the '80's added fuel to the fire, not to mention expansion trends afterwards.

I'm going to guess you don't woohoo

Aug 28, 2012, 8:43 AM

;)

Thanks for sharing that post, really cool

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I wouldn't pay five cents to watch DV filled with clones

Aug 28, 2012, 9:05 AM

of the Statue of Liberty doing that Woo-Hoo thing....Who the hel! thought up that idea? I like our old cheers that left no doubt (in colorful language, mind you) what we thought about our opponents!

I'm pretty sure soccerkrzy and deadsolidperfect are to blame

Aug 28, 2012, 9:06 AM

for starting the woohoo. But I haven't confirmed that yet.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

LOL...Don't forget your other nemesis: LBU. And any moment

Aug 28, 2012, 9:09 AM

Dave or ClemsonTiger1988 will join the fray!

nemesis? if i wasn't me

Aug 28, 2012, 9:18 AM

i'd wanna be and so does gwp.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not always, just on the days where I really wish I was

Aug 28, 2012, 9:34 AM

fat, drunk, and stupid

;)

i'm portly, who doesn't drink bourbon for breakfy & i admit

Aug 28, 2012, 9:58 AM

14" of pennor makes me a little woozy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Oddly enough, I never set foot on Clemson's campus

Aug 28, 2012, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Oddly enough, I never set foot on Clemson's campus ]

Likewise on the first trip there. How many times did they make us do the "Cock-A-Doodle Doo" cheer during our meals? (Little did we know that the "Doo" part would become even more significant years later when "Doo Doo Ice" and "Doo Doo" appeared on their fine example of a campus).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL....Sometimes I think that's why you didn't see

Aug 28, 2012, 10:41 AM

many overweight kids....You had a difficult time eating a meal. I learned to take small, quick bites due to the constant cheering. And you couldn't hide from the upperclassmen either. They seemed to have built-in radar for catching wannabe goldbrickers.

I'm in the same boat with you. First time at Clemson was

Aug 28, 2012, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Oddly enough, I never set foot on Clemson's campus ]

some sort of orientation weekend during the summer. Grew up a State fan (where Dad graduated). But living in SC and after an engineering degree, OOS tuition did not make sense, nor did usuck. Only took about 10 minutes for Clemson to get into my blood!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was a child, they didn't have 50 cent tickets...

Aug 28, 2012, 8:39 AM

But they did play 50 Cent songs.

I didn't grow up in a Clemson family, I really wish I did

Aug 28, 2012, 8:45 AM

I didn't attend my first Clemson football game until my freshman year in college, but needless to say I was hooked from the start.

I am committed to giving my 3-year old son all the Clemson childhood memories that I wish I had.

Aug 28, 2012, 9:05 AM

Getting Banks McFadden to autograph an NFL football card for me at the old field house after a game. Great memory!

I used to broadcast baseball at the field where the

Aug 28, 2012, 9:08 AM

tennis courts are now. The name escapes me at the moment.

Everything about it

Aug 28, 2012, 9:44 AM

My first game was at two weeks old and I've been around campus ever since. I can appreciate it much more now that I'm a student but I'm so grateful to be able to spend my life at such an amazing place and I plan on sharing that with my children. Clemson truly is special and my whole family has a connection to it that I don't think any other university could match. Got Tigers

And I heard that's when you spoke your first words:

Aug 28, 2012, 9:48 AM

GOO-GOO-GOO TIGERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRSFFPHPH...drool, giggle and poop...all at the same time! lol

Re: And I heard that's when you spoke your first words:

Aug 28, 2012, 9:54 AM

I believe you are correct. But I think I can claim a little bit of credit because as the story goes everyone in our section thought I was going to cry all game especially when it got loud (stupid statement since its always loud) but I didn't cry once. Had too good of a time I suppose. Anyways, not trying to toot my own horn or anything but I sound like a pretty cool baby

And I would agree. Who could have anything against a

Aug 29, 2012, 9:22 AM

two-week-old baby who already knew which side to cheer for and which side to poop on! lol

Cardboard sliding down the WEZ hill FTW***

Aug 28, 2012, 9:58 AM

Re: Cardboard sliding down the WEZ hill FTW***

Aug 29, 2012, 8:28 AM

While I never did the sliding myself I always thought that was cool. You could tell the game was in hand when the kids started sliding on each side of the West End Zone.

Aug 28, 2012, 10:18 AM

11) ALL the above!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

being at the esso club with me dad on gamedays....***

Aug 28, 2012, 10:20 AM

a most interesting game as a teenager was vs Duke in '76

Aug 28, 2012, 10:51 AM

Me and some buds would usually sit on the hill for a buck or so in the early and mid seventies (we loved watching Bennie Cunningham -
he seemed huge then). In '76, we were bad for the 2nd year in a row and we got seats for a couple of games; of course DV didn't have
either upper deck then. Against Duke, our seats were about the 20 and Clemson was up 3 when Duke kicked about a 60 yard FG on the last
play that hit the crossbar and fell through to tie. The crowd walked out in stunned silence. Even a win over SC couldn't save Red Parker's
job; it was strangely similar to Tommy West's final season. I vaguely remember Red Parker had an ice cream shop somewhere in town.

I don't remember the game but I think it was in '76 when the

Aug 28, 2012, 6:54 PM

team was warming up and a tight end ran an out route and ran right over Red Parker knocking him out for about half a minute. It was pretty depressing and a real buzz kill. We had seats on about the two yard line about 40 rows up so it happened right in front of us. Go Tigers!

Re: a most interesting game as a teenager was vs Duke in '76

Aug 28, 2012, 11:03 PM [ in reply to a most interesting game as a teenager was vs Duke in '76 ]

I was 13 and at that game......

Red parker owned a very small ice cream shop on the corner

Aug 29, 2012, 8:30 AM [ in reply to a most interesting game as a teenager was vs Duke in '76 ]

in front of what now is Subway. I think it only lasted a couple of years - no place to park. C&S Bank (which later merged into what I think is now Bank of America) tore it down and put up a walk-up bank. I think it was the first ATM in Clemson. And then they moved out and the city spruced it up with some seating, brick pavers, etc.

Take No Prisoners sign and NO WOO HOO!***

Aug 28, 2012, 7:09 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 28, 2012, 10:50 PM

1. A hamburger at Dan's with my Dad (later to become The Bookerstore).
2. Goldfish in the pond in front of the Clemson House
3. Swimming at the Y
4. My Mom trying to hide my eyes from the streakers
5. Going to parties while I was still in High School (I went to Daniel)
6. Movies at the Clemson Theatre, Astro or Holtendorf
7. Swimming at Holtendorf
8. The filming of Midnight Man
9. Watching awesome ACC basketball like David Thompson
10. Climbing to Tilman's clock

And to all you TNetters now in your 30's, 40's and 50's,

Aug 29, 2012, 9:28 AM

I will say this: It has always been exciting to me to see
all the kids and teenagers at the games whether sliding down the hill, decked out in orange or yelling your heads off. I've often thought that the young folks made the games. And so, it continues....

Re: And to all you TNetters now in your 30's, 40's and 50's,

Aug 29, 2012, 9:43 AM

Yep,it's all part of the process of making them true tigers. Bring 'em early and often!

Re: Im Tigeress1 and I used to be a Gamecock fan!

Aug 29, 2012, 10:31 AM

My entire family are Coot fans, (the non-obnoxious) kind, I followed suit and yelled "GO #####" (offensive isnt it?) for years as a kid not knowing better, thinking that they were the best of the best. In 1983, at the age of 15, I met my future husband in high school, he took me to a Clemson game on a rainy saturday in October & thats all it took, I was hooked on him and the TIGERS!!!! I had never experienced anything like it. Being at Willy B watching the chickens didnt come close to being in the rain at DV that day. I tossed everything Gamecock & began my hot love affair with Death Valley, where I am still hooked today!!! Gooooo Tigersssssssss! :)

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic