Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

YOUR BALANCE
Why CLEMSON wins at UGA
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Why CLEMSON wins at UGA

May 6, 2014, 11:34 AM

I guess the Orange blood is causing me some blindness regarding the UGA game. I know we lost a ton of talent on O last year, but so did UGA. Murray accounted (or helped to account) for over 3000 yards of O last year. They only had 6000 yards, so ~ half. We saw what happened when Murray was out of the game - almost pitiful performance by the rest of the UGA team.

Cole Stoudt replacing Boyd is light years better than Mason replacing Murray. Unless UGA just got another QB, I don't see the threat. If Mason cannot move the chains on 3rd-and-long, then UGA gets hammered. He didn't seem to have what was needed against Nebraska, so I doubt that he fares better against CLEMSON.

Just spot the ball already. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Add in a deeper and more talented front 7

May 6, 2014, 11:36 AM

and it's gong to be a long night for the Dawgs. As long as the O doesn't have a lot of 3 and outs to cause the D to get fatigued I think we have more then a better shot of shutting down their rushing attack.

Re: Add in a deeper and more talented front 7

May 7, 2014, 8:21 AM

never mind that clemson's offensive line will be a mess. There will be a lot of inexperience on that line and more importantly Cu will be w/o Beasley and Anthony both projected starters. That line is going to be razor thin in that August heat.

Re: Why CLEMSON wins at UGA

May 6, 2014, 11:38 AM

Sammy and Bryant are also huge hits to the offense, unless some of these under classmen can step up we will lose some production. The one nice thing about Sammy not being there is that they don't know where the ball is going and I do think Cole will spread it around including big contributions from our tight ends.

I think Williams will replace Bryant

May 6, 2014, 11:40 AM

and is even better in terms of consistency. Don't forget that Morris sat Bryant at one point last year and let Williams get the start. No one is ever replacing Sammy but I think we have a lot of depth and talent and like you said Cole is known for spreading the wealth around.

Wasn't Peake in front of Bryant anyway?

May 6, 2014, 1:23 PM

As long as those we still have can be consistent and keep the chains moving, we don't need somebody as purely explosive as Sammy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wasn't Peake in front of Bryant anyway?

May 6, 2014, 2:13 PM

I believe he was. Hopefully he and Humphries will show the way with the new crop maturing and helping out and making a difference against usc and in the playoff.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peake and Bryant played different WR positions

May 6, 2014, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Wasn't Peake in front of Bryant anyway? ]

From the depth chart Williams was the one directly fighting for PT behind Bryant.

Remember how Bryant played against UGA last year, though***

May 6, 2014, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Why CLEMSON wins at UGA ]

Re: Remember how Bryant played against UGA last year, though***

May 6, 2014, 6:03 PM

You mean how he didn't have any catches?

If the secondary hasn't improved he will move the chains

May 6, 2014, 11:38 AM

on 3rd and long. We lost two games last year and 3rd and long was one of the major reasons.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Few teams took advantage of us in the air last year

May 6, 2014, 11:41 AM

FSU was a complete breakdown so that doesn't count imo. SC was mainly due to QB sneaks and runs moreso then through the air. The secondary was light years better last year and I think they'll have growing pains with the new faces but expect them to continue to improve.

That is what still irks me about the South Carolina game.

May 6, 2014, 1:24 PM

We knew what Shaw was going to want to do, have seen it plenty before, yet still had no answer.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If the secondary hasn't improved he will move the chains

May 6, 2014, 11:41 AM [ in reply to If the secondary hasn't improved he will move the chains ]

Are there any stats on how well Mason did on 3rd-and-long versus Nebraska last year? I don't remember him doing that well. I remember this because I needed UGA to win so I could win my bowl pool. I couldn't believe how many chances NU gave them only for UGA to fall short every time.

Re: If the secondary hasn't improved he will move the chains

May 6, 2014, 1:55 PM

Quick scan of the box score:

- Georgia was 4 of 12 on third down conversions overall
- one of the misses was an INT
- two of the first downs were on rushes
- one of the first downs was a pass

Could've missed one. Was just a skim of the game stats.

We lost two games because our turnover

May 6, 2014, 10:06 PM [ in reply to If the secondary hasn't improved he will move the chains ]

Rates.... Made it look like a basketball stat

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Mason will not be expected to carry this team....

May 6, 2014, 11:57 AM

with a full compliment of some very good offensive weapons around him, he will simply be asked to manage the offense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

One name - Gurley***

May 6, 2014, 12:06 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Other than his early 75 yard TD run...

May 6, 2014, 1:20 PM

the Clemson defense held him to just 79 yards last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Need to stop the big plays***

May 6, 2014, 2:10 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I'm assuming that's sarcasm

May 6, 2014, 2:25 PM [ in reply to Other than his early 75 yard TD run... ]

Those other 79 yards came on 11 carries. 7.2 per carry.

The only thing that stopped Gurley last year were his coaches and his quad.

Kind of misleading too though -

May 6, 2014, 2:43 PM

Two of those 11 carries went for 22 and 23 yards respectively.

So - 9 carries for 34 yards outside those two big gainers. They definitely count :) - but...still they are outliers in the 11 total. Two stops by our LBs in the hole instead of Gurley getting into open space lead to him averaging less than 4 YPC on those 11.

If's and But's. I know I know.

Re: Kind of misleading too though -

May 6, 2014, 4:00 PM

I think you make a good point without directly saying it. Gurley in the second level is a nightmare to tackle. You have to play excellent gap disciplined football. He isn't necessarily the type of RB to beat you around the edge but if you let his big body reach full speed and get to the second level clean you are in trouble.

Or ....

May 6, 2014, 11:15 PM [ in reply to Kind of misleading too though - ]

You could look at it like this. 25 percent of Gurley's carries went for 20+ yards. So, once every 4 times he touched the ball it went for a huge gain. Gonna be a long night between the hedges for Clemson if that 25 percent number holds true.

True, But -

May 6, 2014, 11:29 PM

That gigantic run early has to be classified an anomaly.

Find the clip on YT and the subsequent replay from behind LOS. Shuey completely strayed outside of his gap, and Anthony got cut blocked. Gurley could have moonwalked through that hole. He wasn't touched - at all.

But I do hear you - '1 out of every 4 carries @ 20+ yards' will make for a very long night. We've got to make that contact within a couple yards of the scrimmage line on Big Boy #3 in red.

An additional twist...

May 7, 2014, 12:16 AM

Will be that UGA decided to get Gurley involved heavily in the passing attack by the end of last season. He had 26 catches for 306 yards and 4 TDs over the last 4 games as opposed to only 5 catches over the first 4 games. Getting the ball to a beast like Gurley in open space will be a big part of Bobo's game plan moving forward.

Re: An additional twist...

May 7, 2014, 12:28 AM

Probably due to the shear attrition of other offensive skill positions. You would think they would shy away from using such a big back in the passing game. That's what got Marshall his torn ACL.

Re: Or ....

May 6, 2014, 11:46 PM [ in reply to Or .... ]

Just keep this in mind...when UGA and Clemson played last year, it was

1) the first time they had played in quite a while, so early on, they were aware of Gurley but BV probably hadn't been focusing on stopping it as much as stopping the whole Gurley/Marshall/Murray/Mitchell combo...thus why the big run happened...note, it didn't happen again (that 20 so yrs was his only next big run, and it didn't happen much at all throughout the rest of the game....nor did Marshall (the other side of the combo)

2) Clemson began focusing to get their rush (by RB) defense even better after that game, and through the year, stopped the likes of #1 NCAA rusher in BC, OH State's Carlos Hyde and top 30 rusher Mike Davis of SCar...well, pretty much every rusher that was touted prior to the game as being the key that Clemson would "have a hard time stopping".

3) Since Clemson's backfield had been the year prior and coming into the 2013 year as suspect, most of the focus was there....with more veterns there, some early guys with experience from last year, and a 5-star addition BV and all the coaches are high on, be certain if they are making public statements that they feel Clemson may have one of the top lines, they probably have been making that area a high focus in their preparation....after all, last time a Clemson player made those statements, well, he did beat all of Nuk's recors, should be in the top 5 of the draft, and was better...and the other, broke several ACC and school records.

Seems Clemson doesn't just talk...

Smart post ^^^^***

May 6, 2014, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Mason will not be expected to carry this team.... ]

Have To Break Georgia's Will ----

May 6, 2014, 12:37 PM

Georgia is going to be one vengeful team this year.
That team has a lot of players that has a lot of
experience due to the amount of injuries they had
last year. I want to see Clemson take that hostile
crowd out of the game and the best way to do that is
to run the ball. Clemson's O-line must answer the bell
in that game and the play-calling must be surgical.

Georgia wants to prove a lot this year, but if Clemson
can gash them with some passes when Georgia plays
our run-game then we win by 17.

May 6, 2014, 1:15 PM

I think our D, our running game and sure pass plays will be the difference. Cole will go deep some to keep them honest but I look for a lot of 5 to 8 yard pass mixed in with a lot of running. Clemson by 13.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must also beat 92,000 drunk Dawg Fans & Band Noise! ***

May 6, 2014, 2:10 PM

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 6, 2014, 2:22 PM

Remember when UGA let Hot Rod run for 130 yards? They will hate the Wayne Train.

May 6, 2014, 3:51 PM

Remember when we had Grantham and those 10 new starters last year?

May 6, 2014, 4:01 PM

Remember when you thought you would win then too?

May 6, 2014, 4:03 PM

Yep, I was wrong

May 6, 2014, 4:13 PM

Dat's right!!!!

LOL -

May 6, 2014, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Why CLEMSON wins at UGA ]

Grantham wasn't a bad DC***

May 6, 2014, 5:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Why CLEMSON wins at UGA ]

Re: Grantham wasn't a bad DC***

May 6, 2014, 10:05 PM

We finished 32nd in total defense

May 7, 2014, 12:15 AM

ahem...try 45, unless you are a Wake Forest fan now:
http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

..and we finished 25 (which mostly will be back with some additions and a change out of a few)..T13 in sacks...(key for Gurley/Marshall), #1 tackles for a loss (btw, same front you are facing..again)....#10 turnovers gained...#24 scoring defense...#25 kickoff return defense...#5 3rd Down Conversion Pct Defense...#21 of First Down Defense...T15 (19) Fumbles Recovered....

and you are worried about being 45 (actual)...not 32.

May 7, 2014, 12:16 AM

*try 45 now...

I forgot to put 2012

May 7, 2014, 9:07 AM

We finished 32nd in 2012 when we had 2 first round picks

May 7, 2014, 8:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Grantham wasn't a bad DC*** ]

and clemson played an ACC schedule as well. Our defenses were separated by a mere 19 yards in total defense.

May 7, 2014, 10:01 AM

Going to the ACC trump card already?

You're not that 'Super'.

May 7, 2014, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Grantham wasn't a bad DC*** ]

Clemson played an ACC schedule last year too...and the years prior...and still managed to take the National Champion Auburn team to overtime and lose by a missed field goal by, interestingly, Catman (the year they won it with Cam, btw)...to then beat them 2 years in a row after Cam's departure. And also beat LSU in the Chick Fil-A Bowl, to start the next year beating your team, and then gave Urban Meyer his only BCS loss to end the last season making OH State with a second loss in a combined 2 years.

Your point? Did the ACC schedule seem to keep Fl State from winning the MNC...against...oh lawd, an SEC team?

You are correct ...

May 6, 2014, 10:55 PM [ in reply to Grantham wasn't a bad DC*** ]

He wasn't bad ... he was downright awful.

I don't doubt he he knows his stuff, but he failed miserably at preparing the players to be in the right position at the right time.

The UGA D will be much improved next year not because Pruitt knows more about defense than Grantham, but because Pruitt understands it's not what he knows it's what the players know that's important.

I know this- it's starting to be a mental thing for them

May 6, 2014, 2:34 PM

and even listened to Ga sports "experts" debate about this nemesis called Clemson. In-depth debate on how we take all of their in-state talent, debate on why they don't have the crowd atmosphere like we have, etc. I'm confident that Clemson is the most important win in their eyes as far as mental health goes...

Re: I know this- it's starting to be a mental thing for them

May 7, 2014, 8:33 AM

it is the 1st game of the season. I'd be willing to bet most believe this is clemson's most important game of the year as well. when cu loses this game you're looking at a 1-2 start square in the face.

May 7, 2014, 8:41 AM

Clemson will have a couple of new starters on the o-line , but we have some depth there (albeit inexperienced) and our TE will also be a first time starter. I am not buying that Uga will be able to control the line of scrimmage when the Tigers are on offense because that is purely wait-n-see , could happen that way but we will have to see how our guys do.
When Uga has the ball however , I would bet a ton of paw stamped 2 $ bills that our defensive line is going to dominate up front and our LBs are going to frustrate anything else. Hope that qb of yours is accurate ...and very good with his checkdowns...he gone need it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 7, 2014, 9:14 AM

UGA possibly has the best group of LBers in the SEC this year. I would imagine Pruitt will apply a lot of pressure on that oline and Stoudt. Morris will not have the numbers or experience to repel what's coming at them. Lmao at the "domination" thing.

May 6, 2014, 3:48 PM

Clowney>Beasley

Clowney is 1st or 2nd pick

May 6, 2014, 4:06 PM

Beasley is like 7th or 8th pick

So technically you are correct.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

It's only unthinkable if we don't think it. ***

May 6, 2014, 4:06 PM

nm

Re: It's only unthinkable if we don't think it. ***

May 6, 2014, 4:07 PM

UGA and UF to ACC.

Imagine it.

Where UF would get slaughtered by FSU annually...***

May 6, 2014, 5:57 PM

Oh wait, they already do! Silly me.***

May 6, 2014, 5:57 PM

I can see that...

May 6, 2014, 10:09 PM

of course I'm always wearing these.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic