Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Graduate Transfers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Graduate Transfers

Feb 7, 2018, 3:42 PM

Seems like with all these extra scholarships we find ourselves with for 1 year we should recruit a couple of grad transfers at positions of need. Maybe an OL/S/LB. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Graduate Transfers

Feb 7, 2018, 3:45 PM

OK, ask yourself... Why are those graduates transferring? Then you'll have your answer - no.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Feb 7, 2018, 3:49 PM

If they're transferring to seek more playing time... Clemson wouldn't make sense for them

Safety might actually make sense.****

Feb 7, 2018, 4:00 PM

Feb 7, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: Graduate Transfers ]

Ding ding ding! We have a winner!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plenty of other reasons. like Gehrig Dieter***

Feb 7, 2018, 6:47 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Russell Wilson says hi

Feb 7, 2018, 4:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Graduate Transfers ]

Also Bama has played with some grad transfer the past few years

Re: Russell Wilson says hi

Feb 7, 2018, 4:20 PM

Wilson transferred because of a poor decision by his head coach. He's not your typical grad transfer.

Wisconsin needed a QB and Wilson knew it.

Feb 7, 2018, 4:23 PM

If he were in the position right now, Russell Wilson would not transfer to Clemson.

There's not a spot on our roster where a guy who couldn't start elsewhere would come in and start right away.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wisconsin needed a QB and Wilson knew it.

Feb 7, 2018, 6:50 PM

I’d take a punter who can kick it past 40 yards in the air

Feb 7, 2018, 4:00 PM

We can't do that because they announced they WILL be transferring. They still hold those scholarships and we couldn't just add more as they're still enrolled. Next year we will have more.

Feb 7, 2018, 4:11 PM

TigerHawk is right. They are transferring because they are not playing enough. Why would we want a 3rd stringer from another school ?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it could be a late bloomer trying to play a higher level***

Feb 8, 2018, 8:32 AM

Feb 7, 2018, 7:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Graduate Transfers ]

"We can't do that because they announced they WILL be transferring. They still hold those scholarships and we couldn't just add more as they're still enrolled. Next year we will have more."

that is true in the very short run, but not in the long run. the transfers do hold their ships until graduation. but an incoming grad transfer would not count until they actually enrolled, which would almost certainly be after our graduation in May, so there would be no overlap.

that said, i doubt you see our football program bringing in grad transfers. not that there is anything wrong with it, just not the way we have done it.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there's a guy out there who can come in & start, why not?

Feb 7, 2018, 4:18 PM

I'm just not sure what position on our current roster offers that sort of opportunity.

Guys who are transferring as graduates see themselves as "starters" and they expect to immediately be 1st team. They're not transferring to provide depth somewhere else.

We have a pretty solid first team on both sides of the ball and even at kicker and punter.

Where would any transfer have a legitimate chance to start?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 7, 2018, 7:18 PM

The other consideration is this whole "culture" thing Dabo has built. It's very real.

Other than that one QB from Stanford, Olssen - who ended up like 4th string QB or some such for a season but who was also a local guy originally - and Nick Schuessler (who was at Mississippi State for all of two weeks and arrived at Clemson as a walk-on) I have never seen Dabo take either a JUCO transfer or transfer player, period.

Basically, kids sign out of high school at Clemson. Period. The depth chart and roster is what it is. Dabo will never bring in an older guy over your head. If you wait your turn, as long as you're good enough, you will get your turn.

If somebody beats you out, it will be somebody you know, somebody who was recruited with exactly the same guarantees and promises you were - which is to say, none.

Just how it works here. You go bringing in veterans and retreads from other schools, it messes up that continuity. If there's a scholie to be given, it goes to a deserving walk-on. Considering Dabo himself was a walk-on, I don't see him ever disrupting that practice either.

Just do not see Dabo ever meddling in the transfer market unless there's just a red-flag emergency going. He just simply never has and that policy has worked out extremely well for us.

DRad's Son

Feb 7, 2018, 8:25 PM

played on the National Championship team as a graduate transfer.

Re: DRad's Son

Feb 8, 2018, 8:29 AM

He was also a walk-on

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't Austin Jackson a transfer from ETSU?

Feb 8, 2018, 8:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Graduate Transfers ]

I agree with all of your statements, but do think that this year presents a bit of a different challenge. If there is a grad transfer DB, especially safety, I think it would go a long way with our current roster construction.

First and foremost, it would allow us to take it slow with McMichael and Goodrich at corner. Both were recruited as corners and I'm sure would not take well to being thrust into the 2-deep at safety.

Next, it would strengthen our 2-deep at safety. As it stands right now, I'd handicap the depth chart as:
FS...............................................SS
K'Von Wallace..........................Tanner Muse
Denzel Johnson........................Isaiah Simmons/Nolan Turner

I think Simmons, or potentially Muse, replaces O'Daniel's spot leaving a guy like Nolan Turner in the 2-deep. Could he compete? Maybe, but I don't think he'd shy away from more competition to push him.

Feb 8, 2018, 8:37 AM

One scenario that would make sense: a graduate from a smaller or underperforming team who developed beyond expectations. For that kid, and for the program that takes him, it’s a clear win.

Would have to be just the right fit for a specific area of need.

WL

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic