Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gov McMaster could cost UofSuC accreditation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Gov McMaster could cost UofSuC accreditation

Jul 12, 2019, 5:37 PM

https://www.thestate.com/news/local/education/article232608412.html

S.C. Gov. Henry McMaster’s involvement in the University of South Carolina’s presidential search could threaten the school’s accreditation, an official said Friday.

Accreditation matters because it provides legitimacy to a school’s programs and allows colleges to apply for federal funds.

The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACS), which accredits USC, does not allow “external” forces to influence the school’s board of trustees. Although McMaster is, by law, ex officio chairman of the board, if he uses his powers of a governor, rather than his powers as a board member, to influence policy, it could threaten accreditation, association president Belle Wheelan said.

“While the governor is a member of the board, he has no more of a role than any other member of the board,” Wheelan said.
USC “may be out of compliance with standards,” Wheelan said.

Wheelan has reached out to USC President Harris Pastides, but since a court blocked the trustees from casting a vote until next Friday, no formal action has been taken.

Should the association decide to take action, it can issue a warning, place USC on probation or revoke the school’s accreditation wholesale, which has led to schools closing, according to a previous article from The State.

“I doubt (SACS) would just drop them, but that’s always an option,” Wheelan said.

McMaster spokesman Brian Symmes declined to comment.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gov McMaster could cost UofSuC accreditation

Jul 12, 2019, 5:54 PM

Any school with Carolina in its name will only get a slap on the wrist.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Provides legitimacy?

Jul 12, 2019, 7:04 PM

I'm not sure there is anything at UofSuCk that provides legitimacy, especially the football team!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 7:27 PM

My, My, It would be a God send if it actually cause the closing of that dump in cootlumbia!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If they are accredited, something is very wrong with the accreditation process.

Jul 12, 2019, 7:35 PM

Same goes for the other Carolina.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Jul 12, 2019, 7:44 PM

Did not realize USuck was accredited..... news to me........Go Tigers!!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2019, 8:40 PM

First, it is Richard Harpootlian trying to clean up Five Points(Good luck). And now we have a governor trying to appoint a new President for USCoot. What strange bedfellows. Former head of the State Democratic Party, and one of the GOOD OLE BOYS from the Republican Party. With this kind of help, Coot U. should go down the tubes in no time. It almost makes you feel sorry for them.

Jul 17, 2019, 11:33 PM

Think USuck has always been down the tube when it comes to both sports and academics......,,that is all it knows how to do and is never going to climb out of that hole......Go Tigers!!!!!!

Jul 12, 2019, 9:05 PM

Who cares anyway. It wouldn't hurt their football program. You'd never know they were accredited anyway if you listen to their fan base.

Typical problem for them: located one block from

Jul 13, 2019, 4:21 AM

the Statehouse with politicians meddling constantly in their affairs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the one good thing the governor could accomplish while in office***

Jul 13, 2019, 7:35 AM

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic