Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dunno if this is the place...but a football post, anyone?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,345

Dunno if this is the place...but a football post, anyone?

Sep 6, 2020, 9:25 PM

Hey, I heard there's a game this week. Of football. It's this cool game you play with an inflatable pigskin you try to advance up and down the field while big jacked dudes try to block and tackle each other. I know most of us have forgotten, but I seem to recall it being pretty cool....

...and anyhoo, Wake Forest. We play them. In football. Last year they were an elite offense - Top 15, 464ypg - but they were without receivers and we walloped them. They are still without receivers (Sage Surratt opted out, Kendall Hinton graduated) and they are also without last year's QB, since Jamie Newman transferred to UGA before transferring to NFL Draft Prep rather than try to play in what passes for UGA's offense...oh, nevermind. They do have Sam Hartman at QB - still technically a redshirt sophomore. But he's thrown for over 2900 yards in his career, mostly as a true freshman in 2018, and while he's right at a 55% completion percentage (not good enough) he still showed a lot of arm talent and has thrown 20 TD's to 10 INT's...which is not terrible. He isn't as mobile as Newman was, which could get him rocked, but he isn't a statue in the pocket either. Even with Newman though, the Deacs were only 50th in rushing O last year; they did their damage through their air. They're also replacing three starters and all but 28 starts on their O-line. (Put your running shoes on, Sam. You'll need 'em!)

The Deacon D, though...not good. 84th overall in total defense out of 130 FBS teams last year, good for a "D-" on the bell curve, 76th overall in scoring D. They return almost all their front seven (well, actually, front six since they play a 4-2-5) but lose their starting CB's from last year, so I doubt they'll be creeping up and pressing our guys at the line.

It's going to be a weird environment, too, playing in an empty stadium with no fans. I mean, Wake is used to that, but Clemson fans usually way outnumber Wake fans at their stadium so this thing is likely going to have that weird scrimmage feel EPL soccer games have had this summer, guys sort of rattling around in an empty stadium.

You still get the sense if Clemson can run the ball, Wake Forest is dead. Hartman's likely going to have to run for his life behind a re-tooled OL with a bunch of new receivers; the kid's got (some!) game but that's still a fairly big ask, given that Venables, you know, gets after the QB a bit. Their new corners against our new wideouts are kind of a push, but if the Deacs can't tackle Etienne - and they couldn't at all, the past couple years - he trotted 16 times for 121 yards and was largely done by halftime last year, the year before he got 167 yards and 3 TD's - on just 10 carries - this game is going to be over quickly, again.

Against that, you have the fact that Dabo's teams tend to come out of the gate sluggish in September, and this year is even weirder than most. Clemson's always been a "meh" September team, a so-so October team, a beast in November, and pure murder after December...so I'd be surprised if this is vintage Clemson, but it's still hard to see the Deacs giving us a game unless Hartman is just majorly inspired.

I see it about 40-13 or so. I don't think we cover the 32.5, because, well, Clemson in September. What say you guys?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds about right to me...

Sep 6, 2020, 9:38 PM

They aren’t in our league talent wise. But I still scratch my head about Bowden’s last Clemson game. How in Hades did that happen? I was there and I still don’t believe what I saw.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, very happy- very, very proud.

What is this foot ball game you speak of? Thanks for the

Sep 6, 2020, 9:45 PM

review. Good information. Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dunno if this is the place...but a football post, anyone?

Sep 6, 2020, 9:46 PM

You are right about Clemson in September. I’m already worried about the first game next year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 10:01 PM

Yeah...UGA in Charlotte, night game. Massive audience. Especially since we'll be facing them minus Trevor and Etienne with a new guy under center. Who will also be a new center. With also possibly a new LT if Jackson Carman bolts early.

Woof. Well, next year can worry about next year. This year what worries me is our OL. I like our guys center to left tackle; the left side certainly looks good. Will Putnam and Jordan McFadden worry me a little at RG and RT, though, and I'm really worried about how young the guys are behind them. I have never been crazy about playing true froshes on the OL (unless they're just mutants like Jackson Carman) but we're going to have to, this year.

Sep 6, 2020, 9:58 PM

The team cannot come out sluggish. Clemson needs to destroy every opponent. The ESPN talking heads are ready to crown Alabama again. Need to kill Wake and not look back. Elliott needs to run Travis left, run Travis right, run Travis up the middle. Repeat. Mix in some passing to keep the defensive splits wide. I see this team as more into ball control than last year. Hang in there. Less than a week until kickoff.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:07 PM

The one thing that's nice about that is, there's only three Power-5 conferences in the pool this year. Clemson's gotta win the ACC, but however they do it the Tigers will be in the playoffs this year; however much it self-promotes and politics the SEC is not likely at all going to get one of the three remaining major conferences left out.

Winning the ACC will be tougher this year with a solid Notre Dame team on the slate (potentially twice), but if Clemson takes care of business and wins the ACC the rest takes care of itself.

Sep 6, 2020, 10:31 PM

Bless you for the subject matter! It’s starting to come into sharp focus now. Everybody they bring to Winston-Salem will see playing time, close score or blowout, injury permitting. Has to happen to get 2-3 ready at every position with the circumstances of this season. Because of that I’m sure momentum may be fitful, stopping and starting but at the end of the game we will look up to a 4 TD spread.

Good thoughts. I would certainly be happy with that score!

Sep 6, 2020, 10:31 PM

I think that Wake will try to stop the run, but a few long passes will make them pay. If the long runs happen, and they may well as you referenced on the Wake D, I think we cover the spread. If they contain the runs, the delta may be 28 or under. Can't wait!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good thoughts. I would certainly be happy with that score!

Sep 6, 2020, 10:57 PM

Agree on covering.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 6, 2020, 10:55 PM

Wake in my opinion is gonna sell out on the run game and force us to throw the football. They can't afford to leave two safeties deep with our run game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You gotta get the young'uns ready for the playoff.

Sep 7, 2020, 5:42 AM

I have gotten use to Dabo manufacturing 'adversity,' and putting me/us through the resulting drama. I still think it's fan abuse at times but mostly I have seasoned to it. It was a growth process for me, watching the kids thrown in the fires of battle so after the first couple of years I realized how much more I respected the process and how much sweeter the results.

Here's to the process, here's to the experiences of this season and here's to the outcome.

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will the cardboard cutout “fans” in the stands be

Sep 7, 2020, 6:09 AM

equally distributed with each schools colors?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Will the cutout students in cootlumbia have bottle launchers

Sep 7, 2020, 7:36 AM

as standard equipment?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 7, 2020, 9:29 AM

I keep expectations low. As you pointed out, there could be some growing pains on the OL. There could also be growing pains at WR. I'll be happy if they just get the win and everyone goes home without a scratch. Whether the score is 50-14, or 27-14, it's just one game. Whether positive or negative, I don't get too high or too low over one game. Especially the first one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,345
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic