Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good article on CFP reform to 8 teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Good article on CFP reform to 8 teams

Nov 29, 2018, 9:00 AM

Good read. Imagine the proposed slate of game this weekend from the article instead of the mostly boring games that the current system of conference championships is going to serve up.

https://sports.yahoo.com/college-football-playoff-doesnt-need-expansion-needs-reform-005615013.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good article on CFP reform to 8 teams

Nov 29, 2018, 9:20 AM

A few years ago I would have hated this idea (i.e. eliminating conference championship games) but now it sounds more reasonable and it would certainly give us better games this weekend. The one statement in the article I take issue with is that the conference championships are currently the de facto Week One of the CFP. I believe that Week One essentially starts the weekend after the first CFP ratings are released. At that point, every contender knows where they stand in the eyes of the committee and what they have to do.

Nov 29, 2018, 9:23 AM

They will not scrap conference championships.

That said, there is nothing wrong having those playoff games on December 15. That is what Div III, Div II and FCS playoffs do.

Bear in mind it took 16 years to go from a two team playoff to a four team playoff. I think it will be another ten years before they switch to an eight team playoff.

I think you're right. They'll milk the udder as much as

Nov 29, 2018, 9:26 AM

they can, then make a change...as if it suddenly occurred to them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think you're right. They'll milk the udder as much as

Nov 29, 2018, 9:31 AM

I think they will change it before the current contract is up.

$ are too good for TV and therefore the gravy train to the conferences.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 29, 2018, 9:25 AM

I will fight the expansion of the playoffs to my dying breathe. If you’re 9-3 and ranked 8th or even 12-0 but played nobody (UFC), then you have no #### business getting a #### at the title,

Here’s the thing: the ENTIRE season is one big playoff, widdling it down to the final 4 to ensure the two best teams have a shot at the title.

Curious as to why 8 playoff harms FB

Nov 29, 2018, 9:29 AM

Given that division 2 and 3 have an expanded playoff why wouldn't you fight until your dying breath to put an end to that?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Curious as to why 8 playoff harms FB

Nov 29, 2018, 12:02 PM

Because it’s division 2 and 3, so who cares? I couldn’t tell you a single division 2 or 3 team.

In other words...

Nov 29, 2018, 12:25 PM

In your opinion, "just because". Just because is not a logical or rational discussion on the pros and cons. I really was interested in your stance.

Nov 29, 2018, 1:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Good article on CFP reform to 8 teams ]

Apologies if I misled with my post title. I’d recommend reading the article, because it’s a lot more nuanced than simply expanding to 8. It’s more about reforming the system in light of how pointless most of the conference championships are with respect to how the national champion is determined. I get what you’re saying about the whole season being a playoff in a sense, but right now Pitt is playing in an extra game that is meaningless for them with regards to the natty. Why are they even getting the chance to knock Clemson out of the playoffs? Surely there are more deserving teams out there, just not in the ACC this year. With the authors proposed reform it would probably be a better product for fans and the schools.

Because...if Pitt wins they are a better team

Nov 29, 2018, 1:10 PM

...and Clemson is not CFP worthy.

4 team playoff seems to work just fine for Clemson

Nov 29, 2018, 9:33 AM

For that reason alone, I say leave it the way it is.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We could've easily lost against Cuse due to QB injury

Nov 29, 2018, 9:43 AM

and then you'd have Ohio St, Oklahoma, and Clemson battling for 2 spots.

Throw in UGA beating Bama and Washington St beating Washington and absolute chaos.

Now, I agree that all we are trying to accomplish is finding the best team. But, I do think with 5 conferences, it's very difficult to determine.

This year, for example, I think Clemson and Bama are the best teams. But what if Clemson would've lost that random Cuse game when all heck was breaking loose? What if UGA beats Bama this weekend and then Ohio St gets in ahead of Bama? There's no way Ohio St is a better team all season than Bama, but maybe they're just hot right now.

Nothing is perfect. But I think eliminating these conference championship games for a 1st round playoff game is a perfect idea. You keep the season structure exactly the same. You don't have to have these dumb divisions in your conference. The atmospheres at home stadiums would be incredible. And the regular season is still incredibly important because they're only 8 spots and home field advantage for the top 4 teams is a huge, huge deal.

Re: We could've easily lost against Cuse due to QB injury

Nov 29, 2018, 12:45 PM

Good thoughts. Yeah, that proposal about the top seeds getting home games would be incredible. And actually not too different than in baseball with getting to host regionals.

Nov 29, 2018, 12:46 PM

An 8 team playoff is the only way this sorts out.

*Gives the UCF's a chance to show what they have.

*Allows for multiple teams from a conference to get in. Picture FSU being good again and eliminating us from the playoff due to losing to them in regular season.

*Eliminates the unfair bye week ND gets due to no championship.

Sure the #9 team will whine about not being #8, but there has to be a cutoff somewhere.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Complainers about being #9 will be demoted to #10

Nov 29, 2018, 12:51 PM

I'm a problem solver ;)

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic