Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In depth analysis of every Offensive Drive against TAMU
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,496

In depth analysis of every Offensive Drive against TAMU

Sep 14, 2018, 5:03 PM

First 5 drives here, will post more later

Drive 1,

3 and out

All 3 plays Falcinelli got completely blown up or whiffed. Gave up sack on 3rd down that was 100% on him. On 2nd and 11 run, our 2 guards got completely owned by DL run stunts (looked like D knew what we were doing) 1st down was a sorta bad throw by KB who prolly noticed pressue from 2 places. Amari probably could have caught it and not fallen down, but one DB was blowing up two blovking WR's anyway pushing them back.

Blame: Mostly on interior line, perhaps being too predictable too.

Drive 2

Started with delay of game. No obvious person to single out here

1st and 15

Same play on first down as last drive. Outside screen. DB clearly knew what was going on. bull rushed blocking WR and blew it up.

2nd and 16

Another WR screen call, this time tunnel screen.Tackle failed to chop DE down, almost pick 6'd it. DB's quickly closed all lanes for 3rd time in a row against screen.

3rd and 15 Probably the play of the game. Our offense had been THOROUGHLY dominated up until that point. Whatever was originally called, KB checked us out of it and threw a perfect pass to Rogers (who was open) and he made a big play. OL gave him just enough time but pocket was not stable when KB threw it.

1st and 10 from TAMU 16

Shotgun handoff to ETN blown up by a blitzing safety from the perimeter. DC just beat the OC there. It wasn't a read. Straight handoff.

2nd and 13

6 yard stop route called. KB threw to the right guy but threw it high. Not terribly high, but that was on KB.

3rd and 13

RB slip screen. OC beat the DC there. Obviously the right call. ETN picks up first down, excellent downfield blocking from #74 Simpson made that play.

1st and goal

QB read. KB maybe makes the wrong read and keeps it, but he just makes the TD with his running ability. KB just wins 1 on 1 battle.

Result TD Clemson. KB and Simpson deserve most credit IMO.

3rd drive.

1st down Called a downfield pass. TL and Tee Hig show how you are supposed to use superior talent to win games. Just give them a chance. TOUCHDOWN

TL, Tee Higgins (mostly) and the OC actually calling an aggressive play made that happen.

4th drive

1st play
Shotgun handoff, good blocking, solid 5 yd gain

2nd play

Good play call. back shoulder hurry up. OL did their job, TL did his job. 1st down.

1st and 10

Option play out of shotgun. TL makes probably the wrong read and keeps it for 2 yards. I like the playcall, but the read was off (maybe), or the DC schemed correctly.

Mental note, I credit the OCs for leaving the WR screen behind for a moment. Momentum built.

2nd 8

I like the playcall. TL threw an angry laser and Powell just couldn;t catch it. Not sure if its all the WR or if TL should maybe not put so much on it for such a short throw. Nothing really bad on the play, but execution off.

3rd and 8

Playcall was good because a free RB came out of the backfield and was open for a screen, but TL gave up on the pocket and didn't see him. OL partially to blame but TL could have made play anyway. TL made right decision (once he didn't see the open guy), avoided sack and threw it away

End of drive

Blame Nothing really obviously bad here. TL could have maybe made some better choices, but I don't blame him. Maybe keeping KB in the game was the right call, but TL did throw a TD on the previous job. Hard to get mad here.

5th drive

TL still in

RPO, TL made fine read and great throw on perimeter 9 yard gain

2nd and 1
Either RPO or play action. Not sure. Either way TL made bad throw. Gave WR no chance. Aggressive call by OC.

3rd and 1

Another option call. TL keeps and immediately gets blown up. Questionable play call letting TL continue to make rushing reads. Had he pitched it maybe he had a chance, but there was a defender in the area. TL could not have seen the guy who tackled him and he came from backside. I really don't like the call there.

Drive over.

TL deserves most of the blame, but playcall on that 3rd down was bad and that play should be scrapped if DC is calling stunts and blitzes often.

But OC's were better than I thought they would be after slowing things down and analyzing so far.

OK done for now.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good analysis. Question: Where is it written

Sep 14, 2018, 5:34 PM

that we MUST use the RPO? We have a pro-style passer, and we have some really good RBs. Could we perhaps go with a few drop-back passes, and maybe some straight handoffs, or maybe some draw plays (AFTER the downfield pass connects)? Can we only run the QB? Do we have to hammer the players into the shape of the playbook? come on, (OC) guys, let the personnel determine the playcalls once in awhile. If you've got KB in the game, take advantage of his running skills. If you've got TL in the game, let him throw it... or hand it off. I'll stop there, before I make a detrimental comment about our play-calling...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good analysis. Question: Where is it written

Sep 14, 2018, 5:43 PM

I agree. I would love to see some straight up, hand the ball off, run plays off tackle or maybe a counter. I understand our line has been shaky but let's see if our backs can make something happen once in awhile in spite of. Go tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree! It’s stupid to insist on the RPO when that doesn’t fit the

Sep 15, 2018, 11:39 AM [ in reply to Good analysis. Question: Where is it written ]

players we have, and/or it isn’t working.

We pay our OCs well. They are both smart guys. They need to modify and adjust.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Starting with the 6th drive here, to the end of the half.

Sep 15, 2018, 9:54 AM

6th Drive

KB back in. 1st down call was a QB/RB read option. DC beat the OC there, as there was nothing. They were ready for it. Ends up being a 4 yard gain (which is solid, but that was just KB falling forward with strength.

2nd and 6

Aggressive downfield pass. Looks like KB overthrew it but the CB jammed the WR which prevented the throw being in sync with the route. Not sure if the call was to throw it quick or if KB just released it too fast. Looked like a call that didn't work because of the jam.

3rd and 6

Passing playcall. Call was fine. Renfrow was open. KB under pressure but absolutely should have made the throw. but badly overthrew it. That drive was on KB, if I had to pick someone to blame. But nobody did anything awful. We were bailed out by a roughing the passer call.

1st and 10

We went back to the WR screen again. And again, it had absolutely zero chance. Absolutely swarmed. They did take away that play. I would have kicked it out of the playbook at that point.

2nd and 10

QB/RB Read. Blocked well. KN made right read. Recruiting/ETN made it a big play. OC beats DC there.

1st and Goal

Called QB run out of the shotgun. Absolutely blown up. DC beat OC, and also one of the TAMU DL's blew up half our line. TFL

2nd and goal from the 13, a straight handoff to the RB and a solid gain.

3rd and goal from the 8.

Another straight handoff, another solid gain. down to the 1.

4th and goal from the 1

Aggressive decision. go for it. I LIKE the call here. Heavy formation... We'll never know if it would have worked because our Center (who had some rough times so far) snapped the ball into him self. Fumble. Turnover on downs.

Looks like straight handoffs are consistently more productive than reads due to the stunts and blitzes from TAMU defense. Pretty clear to me.

HALFTIME, more later

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In depth analysis of every Offensive Drive against TAMU

Sep 15, 2018, 11:26 AM

Pretty good summary, but a few mistakes are in there.

On the TL td pass, it was a rpo, not a called downfield pass. TL saw one on one with Tee and threw him a dime. Otherwise it would have been a handoff.

On the fourth drive, TL absolutely made the correct read on the option pitch play. The unblocked defender took the rb, meaning TL keeps the ball. The hole just closed quick due to blocking up front.

On the fifth drive, on 3rd and one, it was a qb keeper all the way. TL didn’t have an option to pitch the ball. There was a missed assignment up front that caused that play to get blown up. Dabo talked about this in a presser.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,496
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic