Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The "Thinning Of The Herd" Oct 12th Edition (Drama Coming)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

The "Thinning Of The Herd" Oct 12th Edition (Drama Coming)

Oct 6, 2019, 7:09 AM

My weekly public service to anybody out there who believes there will be more than 4 undefeated teams at the end of the year vying for a place in the College Football Playoffs. It won’t happen, despite each year around this time people beginning to wonder as undefeated teams blow out their competition.

The inevitable will happen….it’s called “the thinning of the herd”

Recap Of Last Week
Heading into October 5th, we only had 14 teams in Power 5 that were undefeated. The week did not project to cause much drama, and that played out as thought. The SEC began its yearly “eat your own tour” with Florida thumping the “greatest defense in the history of mankind” Auburn Tigers. I had Iowa on “upset alert” to lose their 0 in Ann Arbor, and that is exactly what happened.

So the Herd dropped from 14 to 12…and we are just getting started in October.

Next week has the potential to turn things upside down…with no gimmies for those that play and plenty of upset alerts. The Herd will be down to single digits after next week….just you wait.

Weekend of October 12th “Thinning Of The Herd”

Guaranteed Thinning Will Take Place
Florida at LSU…the SEC “eating their own tour" continues in Baton Rouge

"Upset Alert”
Texas Tech @ Baylor…TTU can move the football and score some points, and does anybody really think Baylor is a good football team???

Louisville @ Wake Forest…The Cardinals have been a pleasant surprise and Wake is not good enough to not play well each week if they are going to win. Wake holds permanent spot on upset alert.

Oklahoma vs. Texas…The Red River Rivalry is always a fun game to watch. A lot on the line…and it’s the Sooners first real test.

Penn State @ Iowa…The Nittany Lions have been one of the most impressive teams in the nation, but this is the kind of game the Hawkeyes earn their title as herd slayers.

Alabama at Texas A&M…For some odd reason I think Bama will have to work hard to get out of College Station. Call me crazy

Will Keep Winning....For Now
Florida State @ Clemson…The Noles have looked better recently and Clemson looked wonky in Chapel Hill. Both teams had a bye week, but at home with a week off to stew, Clemson will be ready on Saturday.

Michigan State @ Wisconsin…I almost slid this game into the upset alert category, but the Spartans are just brutal to watch on offense and the Badgers running game is just too good.

Nebraska vs. Minnesota…Again, this is a game that could be in the upset alert category but I put it in the win category. I’m not really sure what to make of Minnesota yet, but I know what Nebraska is.

South Carolina @ Georgia…The Gamecocks looked better vs. Kentucky and overall a better football team with RH at QB. But we saw what happened when Alabama met Scar…and UGA will do the same.

Ohio State has a bye week.

"The Road To A Repeat Begins With The Tiger Pregame Show"

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good analysis.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:39 AM

I agree with your analysis of each game (except Bama, I can't see aTm testing them, but I am, wrong so often I could be wrong about this, too).

Here is what I am certain of. There will be a maximum of 4 unbeaten teams in the Power 5 conferences. No conference will have two unbeatens. (PAC 12 is already out of that possibility.)

So, there are 3 rules for making the playoffs.

1. Win em all and you're in.
2. Lose 1 and you need help.
3. Lose 2 and you're out.

The herd will continue to be thinned every week. (I thought Auburn would beat UF by 20. I was wrong. But, I still am not a believer in UF. Their offense stinks. I think LSU and UGA will both beat them by 20.)

And, as for Saturday, FSU is showing signs of improvement. I am reading that Clemson is a 24 1/2 point favorite. If I were forced to bet on this game, I'd take Clemson and give the points. We may be better, but we are a long way from being ready for prime time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Oct 6, 2019, 8:26 AM

nm

Re: Good analysis.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Good analysis. ]

They might let a big bad two kids sec team in

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Good analysis.

Oct 6, 2019, 7:52 PM [ in reply to Good analysis. ]

They might let a big bad two loss sec team in

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Why is it this time of year people talk about 4 unbeaten

Oct 8, 2019, 6:54 AM [ in reply to Good analysis. ]

teams when it has never happened. Three last year and maybe once during the bcs error there might have been three going into the last game, but that is it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The "Thinning Of The Herd" Oct 12th Edition (Drama Coming)

Oct 6, 2019, 8:29 AM

I was amazed how bad Iowa is offensively. Just a nonstop mistake fest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 8:29 AM

If the Coots had any semblance of a D-1 defense they could stay within 3 scores of teams like Bama and UGA .
They don't and they won't .
Georgia 47-13

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 6, 2019, 9:35 AM

Strange that a team with a Defensive "Savant" as head coach struggles on that side of the ball.

Two words for Muschamp's defensive prowess: Over Rated......

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 9:43 AM

Need more posts like this. Good stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thank you sir!

Oct 6, 2019, 10:04 AM

nm

Thanks for the info. I bet that took a lot of

Oct 6, 2019, 12:00 PM

time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2019, 1:06 PM

" I had Iowa on “upset alert” to lose their 0 in Ann Arbor, and that is exactly what happened. "

Not sure about that since Vegas had Iowa as a 3-point Dawg, even though the polls had them ranked 14 vs UM's 19. That said, I think Iowa had a bout 4 TO's that cost them the game, otherwise they stomp a hole in UM.

You think way more of Iowa than I do!

Oct 6, 2019, 3:51 PM

Nm

Oct 6, 2019, 1:15 PM

i agree with you, but let's keep wake undefeated until they meet us. and let's keep virginia undefeated until they meet us in the championship game.

Oct 6, 2019, 5:17 PM

Nice post. Here's my two cents.

LSU over Florida (thinning). I don't think Florida is good enough to win this game on the road.

Wake over Louisville. Wake has a better body of work IMO, and they are at home.

Texas over Oklahoma (thinning). Texas has a better body of work IMO, and they are at home.

Penn State over Iowa. Iowa has done nothing so far.

Bama over A&M. No confidence in A&M/Jimbo. A&M will likely make more mistakes, and Bama will take advantage.

Wisconsin over Michigan State. Just going with my gut.

Georgia over the chickens. We all know it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Hard to argue that thought

Oct 6, 2019, 7:38 PM

nm

Oct 7, 2019, 10:25 AM [ in reply to Re: The "Thinning Of The Herd" Oct 12th Edition (Drama Coming) ]

agree on ALL points

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Well done***

Oct 6, 2019, 8:01 PM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic