Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gonna have to ante up for a new car. Looking at a Jeep
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

Gonna have to ante up for a new car. Looking at a Jeep

Jul 12, 2012, 3:48 PM

Compass (2012) 4WD. Anybody know much about 'em? I'm not going to do any real off-roading, although it's supposedly badged for off-road.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

got a pretty poor rating from Edmunds.com

Jul 12, 2012, 3:55 PM

http://www.edmunds.com/jeep/compass/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: got a pretty poor rating from Edmunds.com

Jul 12, 2012, 3:58 PM

I read that. It's mostly because it doesn't have a frilly interior and the drive train is considered noisy. Neither is a deal breaker for me. I can live without a USB port in my car and I'm certain it's a lot quieter than what I've been driving.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what do you have now?***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: what do you have now?***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:01 PM

Let's just say I missed out on Cash for Clunkers.

it must be bad if you won't even type what it is***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:02 PM

Re: it must be bad if you won't even type what it is***

Jul 12, 2012, 5:54 PM

It's an aged mini-van with over 200k on it and a transmission for which each day could be its last.

If you got over 200k, I think I would buy another one!***

Jul 12, 2012, 10:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for what it's worth...my wife has a Honda Pilot...about the

Jul 12, 2012, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Re: what do you have now?*** ]

same size as the vehicle you mentioned....very good car...great reliability...good gas mileage and good size. Great ride.

My wife drives a 2011 Pilot.***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:06 PM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

they are great cars....so reliable***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:07 PM

Best SUV we've ever had....

Jul 12, 2012, 4:09 PM

and we've driven Chevy Blazers, Ford Explorers and Nissan Pathfinders.

we traded in a Chevy Tahoe for it....glad that thing is gone***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:10 PM

We actually looked at the Tahoe....

Jul 12, 2012, 4:14 PM

but Chevrolet thought WAY more of it than we did so we just let them keep it.

there's no doubt...they are super expensive***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:16 PM

We also looked at the GMC Acadia, Toyota Sequoia and

Jul 12, 2012, 4:21 PM

Toyota Highlander.

We have them as company cars....

Jul 12, 2012, 3:56 PM

Total POS. I hate driving them. Uncomfortable, and they don't handle well.

You mileage may vary.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: Gonna have to ante up for a new car. Looking at a Jeep

Jul 12, 2012, 3:57 PM

Look at the Patriot.... the Compass IS NOT badged for off road. The Patriot was slammed by the critics in years past but this year's (2012) version is much improved and the reviews are much better ... also, because of past years negative press, dealers sell them for a lot less then normally... I bought one myself last week

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2012, 5:56 PM

Actually, they put 17" wheels on it, raised the clearance by an inch and gave it skid plates. It adds to the vehicle weight, but it did earn an off-road badge in 2012.

I stand corrected!

Jul 12, 2012, 9:14 PM

Thanks .. still like the Patriot better though

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In my experience.....

Jul 12, 2012, 4:04 PM

Jeep products are incredibly hit and miss meaning you either get a good one of you get a bad one (not much in between), and if you are unfortunate enough to end up with one of the bad ones, you will constantly be spending money on non-routine maintenance and repairs the entire time you own the vehicle.

Personally I would purchase a Honda or Toyota over anything Jeep manufacturers becasue those vehicles are generally more reliable, more economical, and have better resale values. Of course, that's just me.

completely agree...I drive a Toyota Tacoma and my wife

Jul 12, 2012, 4:05 PM

has a Honda Pilot. We had owned two Jeep products and it wasn't the same quality as the Honda or Toyota.

LOL...I drive a Tundra and my wife drives a Pilot***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:08 PM

now that is funny.....are we brothers and don't know it?

Jul 12, 2012, 4:10 PM

by the way...I'm Arnold in this twins routine...

Agreed! Toyota or Honda are the way to go.***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:09 PM [ in reply to In my experience..... ]

I buy me "Umerican !!!!" ....

Jul 12, 2012, 9:49 PM

as much as I can, then again, I also own two VW's .....

Re: In my experience.....

Jul 12, 2012, 4:12 PM [ in reply to In my experience..... ]

You guys are un-American! Buy American made! J/K. I have Jeep Grand Cherokee and love it. Never had a problem with it. I had a Jeep Cherokee sport before this one and at around 110,000 miles it started falling apart little by little. My Grand Cherokee Limited is great though, although it just hit the 70,000 mark. I heard the Toyota Highlanders are great. Little bit more pricey, but great cars with great gas mileage.

actually my Honda Pilot was built in Lincoln Alabama***

Re: actually my Honda Pilot was built in Lincoln Alabama***

Jul 12, 2012, 4:20 PM

Oh nice, glad to see that. I had a Honda Accord as my first car. Best car I have ever had. I would definitely buy a Honda or Toyota over any other car these days, they last forever.

I do buy American, my Tundra was built in San Antonio

Jul 13, 2012, 11:04 AM [ in reply to Re: In my experience..... ]

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0611

he Cars.com American-Made Index
By Kelsey Mays, Cars.com
What Are the Top American-Made Cars?
Cars.com's American-Made Index rates vehicles built and bought in the U.S. Factors include sales, where the car's parts come from and whether the car is assembled in the U.S. We disqualify models with a domestic parts content rating below 75 percent, models built exclusively outside the U.S. or models soon to be discontinued without a U.S.-built successor.

Rank Make/Model U.S. Assembly Location Last Rank
1. Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky.; Lafayette, Ind. 1
2. Honda Accord Marysville, Ohio; Lincoln, Ala. 2
3. Chevrolet Malibu Kansas City, Kan. 5
4. Ford Explorer Chicago —
5. Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. 6
6. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 10
7. Jeep Wrangler Toledo, Ohio 9
8. Chevrolet Traverse Lansing, Mich. —
9. Toyota Tundra San Antonio 8
10. GMC Acadia Lansing, Mich. —

My advise: Stay away

I rented one and it had less than 6000 miles on it and it was the worst piece of garbage i have ever driven...

I had a Jeep Cherokee and loved it..until the engine blew up

Jul 12, 2012, 4:27 PM

Re: In my experience.....

Jul 12, 2012, 4:35 PM

I still drive the jeep I had in high school at TCR, got it in Dec of 2001, 1999 Jeep Cherokee. Love that thing, even totaled it and drove it to the body shop. It's not a daily driver anymore, but runs like a top and has never needed anything besides regular maintenance. Same story with my Dad's mid 80s Cherokee, my moms 98 Grand. She has had more trouble with her 2005 Grand Cherokee, but that was the first year of a new body style. I wouldnt buy compass/patriot twins, especially living in Asheville. There is probably enough winter storms to justify something with a true low range 4WD. I'd definitely consider the 4dr wrangler or grand Cherokee. My brother in law drives the V6 grand Cherokee and is getting in the low to mid 20s mpg hwy. I like the Honda Pilot, seems like a solid ride.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

i love my ford escape. 2002 model and have never had a

Jul 12, 2012, 5:43 PM

problem, and i'm pushing 150,000 miles. only ding in it is where a deer ran out and hit me in the back drivers side door, and made a little dent.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

toyota and honda are good

Jul 12, 2012, 5:57 PM

But they're quality has been suffering lately compared to some of their competition. Plus they're like driving a toaster. Maybe check out the Subaru forester and outback.
Do you really even need an suv? maybe look into a hatchback or wagon. Almost the same storage capacity as an suv for less money, less gas, and a way better driving experience. Some good ones, Hyundai volester, elantra hatch, ford focus hatch, Subaru impreza hatch.
Or save some pennies and go used, buying a new car is one of the worst investments possible.
Just a thought...

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2012, 6:07 PM

1994 Dodge Ram...304,500 miles as a daily driver

Jul 12, 2012, 6:23 PM

:) Funny - I don't see anywhere on this thread that you indicated what you want in a vehicle. You stated looking at a jeep, but I guess we should assume you want an SUV similar to a jeep?

Maybe define what you want in a car. You married? Kids? Travel a lot? Gas mileage important? Maintenance important? Who will drive the car? expected mileage each year? Purchase/lease? Trading in the 'clunker"?

I dunno. There's just too many unknowns here. Not picking on you - just trying to help you determine what might be best for you (and family).

Jul 12, 2012, 6:34 PM

I like the styling and price of the Compass. I've read dozens of owner's reviews and it seems it's only the "experts" who are down on it. Seems the professional reviews are kind of like the media pre-season predictions re college football. Lots of conformity and not enough real research. That is the consensus of the owners whose reviews I've read.
The 2011 model year brought significant improvements. I'll probably drive it at least 10 years if it's serviceable that long.
Yes, gas mileage is an issue. In its class, the Compass has pretty good MPG. It's a best of class on rollover--not that I expect to roll it any time soon. They've been making them for 6 years now. No big warning lights flashing about service record. So, I'm thinking it's not too bad a car for the money.

consumer reports

Jul 12, 2012, 6:42 PM

Check out consumer reports they've never been high on jeeps and they do real research. Historically they're just not that reliable...
Instead of worrying about price you need to define exactly what is important to you in a car and figure out which cars best fit that description then narrow it down with the price then go for some test drives and pick which one you like best.
You're driving the car, not looking at it, the way it drives should be a priority.

Re: consumer reports

Jul 12, 2012, 6:48 PM

Right. Going to drive it tomorrow afternoon. One thing I like about it is even the professional reviewers say it handles very well. Owners rave about the ride. We'll see after I put a few miles on one.

BTW, when you guys test drive a 4WD, do you find a dirt road somewhere and open it up?

just curious

Jul 12, 2012, 6:56 PM

does it have to be new? You could get something nicer that's a couple years old and maybe even save some money.

Re: just curious

Jul 12, 2012, 7:09 PM

I would love to buy a late model used car. Wife wants a new car. I like nookey. Call me crazy.

Consumer reports is never kind to jeeps

Jul 12, 2012, 7:32 PM

Because noise and fuel economy are two of the criteria they judge cars on.

If you're getting a manual transmission suv, absolutely buy the jeep.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: just curious

Jul 12, 2012, 7:37 PM

Used cars are a scam. They're only a good deal if you're trying to buy a car you can't afford.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2012, 7:49 PM

I'm on my 4th Grand Cherokee....love'em...

^^^look at me I can afford a brand new Jeep***

Jul 12, 2012, 7:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^look at me I can afford a brand new Jeep***

Jul 13, 2012, 9:16 AM

LOL! I haven't had a car payment in six years. Been driving two real relics. In that amount of time, I should have been able to save enough to plunk down cash for one.

I did mention that I'm looking at a baby jeep, didn't I? ;)

Re: Re: just curious

Jul 12, 2012, 8:03 PM

Wow those might be 2 of the most ignorant comments I've ever read on here. You probably think leases and getting into tons of debt for a car that's worth less than you owe on it the minute you drive off the lot is a smart idea too right? If anything new cars are scams. And I don't even think the compass comes with a manual anyway.
To the op maybe try selling the wifey on all the better features a used car can have compared to a comparably priced new wip. Plus less debt is always good if you're financing.
The Acura rdx is a pretty nice car that's probably a good value on the used market, or even still you should check out some hatches.

The moment you drive off the lot in a used car

Jul 12, 2012, 9:46 PM

you're underwater on your financing as well. So I'm not sure why you're trying to say that problem is exclusive to new purchases.

Maybe in the past you can make an argument for used cars, but not in today's market. There is a premium for used cars so the prices are extremely inflated.

A new 2012 compass limited(highest end) runs 23,200 MSRP. A used 2012 limited on carmax is listed at 20,200 with 23k miles on it. A 2010 limited with 47k is listed at 15,200.

Finagling with the dealer you can easily walk out with a compass limited for 20k out the door. With 23k miles on a used car you only have 13k miles in warranty left. Maintenance costs are always higher on older cars than newer cars.

Say each car lasts 100k with no additional costs outside of normal maintenance(which is very optimistic) you've spent about 23 cents a mile for a new car and you've spent 26 cents a mile on a used car.

^^^to classof09

Jul 12, 2012, 8:05 PM

Not the other guys
I can't type fast enough haha

Re: The moment you drive off the lot in a used car

Jul 12, 2012, 10:04 PM

Congrats on using a totally usless example. The moment you drive a new car off the lot it drops in value significantly. With a used car the value drop is far less sudden. The point is you can get farrrr nicer cars used than you can new for the same exact money. As far as maitenance costs that Acura is going to be more reliable than a new jeep so that really just depends on what u buy.
Saying used cars are a scam is simply ignorant.

I said it was a scam unless you were trying

Jul 12, 2012, 10:09 PM

to buy more car than you can actually afford.

As a fiscal conservative, I always recommend the most cost effective method.

Buying what you can't really afford is why our country is in such disarray.

Re: I said it was a scam unless you were trying

Jul 12, 2012, 10:14 PM

What?! How is buying a high quality used car instead of a low quality new car the equivalent of spending more than u can afford. That makes absolutely no sense. Who says a used car has to be more expensive to own? If you buy the right car of course...

Jul 12, 2012, 10:28 PM

Because at no point are you getting a better quality used car of the same model as a new car.

Jul 12, 2012, 10:45 PM

okay where do i say anywhere i'm comparing the same model used vs new car?
Let me give you an example of exactly what you're having such a hard time comprehending. A used Acura RDX at the same price point of a new Jeep Compass is leaps and bounds a better car in every category including maintenance costs. Acuras are super reliable, Jeeps are super unreliable. The RDX is a luxery crossover, the Jeep is a bare bones small SUV. No one could possibly argue the Acura is the superior car here... Hell even if the Acura ended up costing you a little more in maintenance than the Jeep that's an incredibly small price to pay for a far superior ride. If you're that worried about extra maintenance on a used car buy one that costs a few grand less than the new car you're considering and the extra dough can go towards potential maintenance costs.

Another thing that got swept under the rug earlier, a new car has a huge immediate depreciation after purchase while a used car has a much more linear rate of depreciation and doesn't take the immediate hit in value the new car does.

p.s. the last generation of the Honda Civic is a better car than the current generation. Same goes for most VWs now that they're trying to bring their price, and therefore quality, down for the US market. so in those cases the used car may actually be better than the new.

Jul 12, 2012, 11:00 PM

How is that not buying something you can't afford? Which is what you originally disagreed with me about.

An Acura RDX would have to have more than 50,000 miles on it before it would be the same price. You're being disingenuous if you are arguing that the maintenance on a JEEP over 100k miles would be more expensive than an RDX over 150,000 miles.

And yes, a used car does take an immediate hit on value as it immediately loses the cost the dealer added in to make a profit.

Buying a Jeep compared to a RDX would result in a free 50,000 miles in your scenario.

Jul 12, 2012, 11:18 PM

You can't afford either car because in this scenario financing is involved so yeahhhh...
And again i don't see how buying something used means you can't afford it? sure maybe you couldn't afford the new one but that's not the point you could afford the used one. Why would you not want to get the most for your money just because you can't afford the new one?

Who says you're gonna own the car for 100,000 miles? Who said anything about a dealer? And you can't argue a used car hit is even remotely comparable to a new car price hit? that's just foolish.
That's just one example. Even under you're worst case scenario setup I'd still take the Acura every day of the week. and i would argue a jeep compass with 100,000 miles has had just as many major problems as an acura with 150,000 miles on it. The japanese just make more reliable cars.

That Acura is just the better value. That's all there is to it.

And just in case you're wondering i drive a Subaru not an Acura...

one more example... you can get a verrrrry low miles C5 corvette Z06 in the very low $20s. The engines are bulletproof and their aren't really all too many electronics to break. I think that car being sold to a certain demographic(one that cares more about performance than highend tech) is a much better value than any new car that's in the same price range.

Buy Jap. Do the scheduled maintenance. Oil at 3000k. I have

Jul 12, 2012, 11:24 PM

a 2002 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 6-cyl. with 175k on it and it runs like a sewing machine and will tow 5k. I have never had any problems with it other than a muffler recall and fully expect it to go at least 250k if not more. I have a friend with the same motor in a work truck and he already has 250k on his with much, much more abuse.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 13, 2012, 12:17 AM

I just bought a new 4 Runner, and drove it down to Loreto, Baja, Mexico. It is a great vehicle. Had a Jeep Cherokee for 12 years, good vehicle. The new Jeeps don't have as much room as the older models, even the Grand Cherokee.

RAV 4 is the higest rated small suv, then nissan rouge.

Jul 13, 2012, 11:51 AM

Not a real man vehicle but how manly is repai bills or sitting beside the road?

Whatever you get dont get any shade of red and go get some orange paws to put on there somewhere. That always makes any vehicle look better.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic