Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Golfclub.net
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Golfclub.net

Apr 22, 2019, 9:11 PM

I’m 37 and have never owned a set of clubs. I’m going to make the move to be able to play at will.

What clubs do I get as a newb and don’t wanna break the bank trying to be a wanna be with the Hopslam of clubs? I need forgiving and affordable. Something like a Sierra Nevada or Stone. It’s above a Budweiser, but not snooty to a beefy level.

Whatcha got T Net?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Golfclub.net

Apr 22, 2019, 9:27 PM

Pawn shop.

Check lengths for your feel. Hunt for name brand good stuff... ping, calloway, etc..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’ve got a play it again sports across the street

Apr 22, 2019, 9:50 PM

Assume that would be the same as pawn shop?

Re: only been in 1 of those before looking for tennis stuff

Apr 23, 2019, 7:50 AM

they did seem to have a decent range of golf clubs and bags. That was 10 years ago, and they thought quite highly of the items we were looking at that day.

I bought a set of Craigslist about 6-7 years ago from a older man in Bluffton. I'm novice at best, so I don't care about too many specifics. They are Nike Slingshot 2-PW, and then I bought 2 Nike Sasquatch drivers from the pawn shop for under $100 each. Probably have a > $1000 setup if new. I paid a total of $325

Which I played more these days. 2 back surgeries have limited me pretty good with golf. May play the par 3 about thrice a year or so now.....

Good luck though

Persimmon head drivers are the next wave of high tech clubs

Apr 22, 2019, 11:12 PM

MacGregor is the brand of choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And those new hickory shafts are to die for.

Apr 23, 2019, 9:34 AM

Don't forget to buy a mashie.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Don’t know jack #### about golf, but

Apr 22, 2019, 11:35 PM

I suggest you watch plenty of her videos...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Loq0YvF2kAw

Eye wreck o mend

Apr 23, 2019, 12:00 AM

You buckle up

“To See a World in a Grain of Sand
And a Heaven in a Wild Flower,
Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand
And Eternity in an hour.” WB

Re: Golfclub.net

Apr 23, 2019, 7:54 AM

definitely used.

Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 AM

there are more sets of clubs out there than golfers. Due to their never-ending search for a miracle to improve their game that doesn't involve lessons, paying close attention to their swing, or practice. Or drinking whilest they play.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

IMO Callaway makes the most forgiving clubs

Apr 23, 2019, 9:28 AM

Good quality too, so a used set will likely still be in good shape and should hold up just fine for your needs.

Best way to learn quickly is buy some plastic wiffle golf balls and hit in the yard...

For reference:
https://www.todaysgolfer.co.uk/features/equipment-features/2018/april/best-irons-2018-ranked-by-forgiveness/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Callaway has a used club site as well.

Apr 23, 2019, 9:38 AM

I've purchased many clubs from there. You can buy a set that's a couple years "old" tech for deep discounts.

https://www.callawaygolfpreowned.com/

You almost never see them in rankings, but Tour Edge

Apr 23, 2019, 9:46 AM [ in reply to IMO Callaway makes the most forgiving clubs ]

makes excellent game improvement/super game improvement clubs. They don't spend money on sponsorship and the like, so the golf magazines rarely rank them, but for new players they're fantastic clubs. My first two sets were both Tour Edge.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

second this

Apr 23, 2019, 11:48 AM

My fairway wood and 3 hybrid are both tour edge exotics, and they're probably the best two hitting clubs in my bag...

Also, if you just want some cheap but quality clubs to test the waters, I have an old set of Titleist DCI 962 irons 2-PW and a 975D driver that I'll sell you for next to nothing... They're just sitting in my garage. I can throw in a cleveland SW if you want. That will get you everything but a putter.

Pro UDP Tip

Apr 23, 2019, 10:07 AM

Go to PGA Superstore (or Golf Galaxy, or Dick's)

Get fitted for clubs, swing a bunch of different sets and see what you like.

Take note of what you like.

Buy on eBay for half price.

Woods, irons, wedges, bags, shoes, gloves will cost you $2k brand new, probably more if you get decent stuff.

Golf's like everything else, find the 2 - 3 yr old models and use those. Check out golfdiscount.com

For irons, get a cavity back. Something with a wider sole since you're going to suck for about a decade (ping, calloway, taylormade, wilson). Wedges, go ahead and get vokey's b/c they're ####### sick. Woods - taylormade. Putter - custom scotty cameron

hth

1. go with some hybrids instead of blade irons

Apr 23, 2019, 10:15 AM

much easier to hit, the technology is solid. Even the mis-hits travel pretty well. 2-iron to probably a 6 or 7 iron, go with a hybrid. I've played golf since I was a kid, and learned on forged blades, the most unforgiving club ever made. I even carried a 1-iron in my bag for a spell. But now even I play hybrids 2-5. Still have blades for the 6-9 though.

2. Drivers are drivers these days. They are all huge, lightweight, and pretty forgiving. You won't notice much difference until you get really good. Stay away from the ones you adjust with weights, etc., they just confuse you with too many options. You don't need all that gimmicky stuff. You can't go wrong with Taylor Made, Callaway, etc. If you go with last year's model, you'll get the best value. These things don't improve THAT much year-to-year no matter what they try and feed you.

3. Get you a good 3-4 wood for fairway shots. Match the driver if you can, but it's not that important.

4. With wedges, don't worry too much about degrees and loft for now, until you really sharpen your game. A good pitching wedge and sand wedge are essential, even more than a driver. Can't go wrong with a Titleist Vokey, if you want to start with the cream. You can experiment as you improve, as you will find these are the most important clubs in your bag. When you find a little chipping wedge you love to hit, you'll know it and it will be your BEST FRIEND. Remember, it's what fits YOUR eye, not what somebody tells you fits. Comfort + feel = confidence. I like a big, heavy-soled sand wedge because that's what I grew up playing, but that may not be for you. I used one for 20 years that was some off-brand thing, and I still mourn its demise (I physically wore the face out smooth). Never have found a perfect replacement.

5. Same for putters. Try a bunch of them. When you find the one that fits your eye, keep it. Don't fall for the gimmicks - there are thousands. I use the same putter I used when I was in high school, a vintage Ray Cook M-1 they haven't made in decades (I've bought a couple off Ebay for backups over the years, just in case). I've tried them all (mallet, blade, offset, whatever), and always go back to the Ray Cook, my tried and true. You'll find out - it's ain't the putter missing all those putts - it's you. Same as with the wedges, it's what feels comfortable to you, and fits YOUR eye.

Pick up a Golf Digest/Golf Magazine equipment issue and familiarize yourself with the brands. I'm not up to date on what's out there anymore, so I can't advise you much on the "hot" brands.

Great advice across the board.

Apr 23, 2019, 10:35 AM

Like every golfer, I fell for a few gimmicks before finally realizing that the marketing hype behind 99% of all new clubs was just that...hype. You're better off going through the discount barrel looking for clubs that work than you are reading the ads in golf magazines and spending a premium looking for a savior.

I've got a set of Taylormade RX-7's that I've had for 15

Apr 23, 2019, 12:07 PM

years. I hit them as well today as I did when I bought them.

Which is not well, because I only play once or twice a year. But since I stay in beginner status, they do alright.

One method you could use is find you a sporting goods store that has the screens where you can test out clubs. That way you'll know if you like hybrids or regular irons, steel or graphite shafts, grips, etc. Most of them will have used clubs as well as older model year...test em out before you buy them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS IS A SCAM POST^^^

Apr 23, 2019, 12:40 PM

Everybody knows that MAZDA made the RX-7's.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic