Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Golf tip of the day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,238

Golf tip of the day

Sep 17, 2019, 2:56 PM

SHORTEN YOUR BACKSWING! I see so many amateurs swinging like John Daly. That is a recipe for disaster. Most of the pros don't even make it to parallel much less go past it. I promise your contact will improve and your misses will be much better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Golf tip of the day

Sep 17, 2019, 3:03 PM

Thanks for the tip. But reaching 72 has does wonders to shorten my backswing. Slow the backswing down can also assist in distance and accuracy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 3:13 PM

Actually, just move up at least one set of tees. Psychologically, you do not swing as hard when you don't perceive that you have to hit the ball so far. You will hit it straight and longer and not have to use a utility club to reach just about every par four. A 5300 yard golf course for a woman is equivalent to a 7300 yard course for the average male player ..... basically unplayable. For senior men you should be playing around 6,000 yards or less, of course depending on your age and even more your ability.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 17, 2019, 3:48 PM

I get what you're saying, but I see a lot of guys with a sand wedge from 90 yards not even trying to kill it going past parallel at the top. A shorter, compact swing is one of the few "quick fixes" that actually works. This will help the lower handicap players more. If you can hit the driver 240-260 down the middle you can play from 7000 yards.

This won't help the older gentlemen out much as most of them need more shoulder turn going back.

Sep 17, 2019, 3:22 PM

Wonderful advice! I shortened mine and if look in a mirror it actually looks like a full swing. Now I have much better distance and can call up a baby draw or baby slice at will. “Most days” lol

Sep 17, 2019, 4:07 PM

Thanks for the tip.
As a golfer, I can give you a lot of tips that work for me. Here are just a couple.
For example, I am 69, have never been able to generate enough power to drive the ball a great distance, so I moved up to the senior tees. Take the Walker Course at Clemson. The distance from the senior tees back to the white tees is about 523 yards shorter, a long par 5 , and for me 5 or 6 shots more. For me, Bogey golf is a good round.
Another is don't try to play your opponents game. Play your game. Don't try to match him shot for shot.If he is shooting 80 from the back tees, you are not going to beat him anyway if your shooting 90 from the forward tees.
Oh,and learn to scramble if you need to. You can possibly make up a shot or 2 per round.
Here is another. You don't need the latest, most expensive golf clubs. Of course, you don't want to play with some of the older clubs that are outdated. In fact, you don't even need 14 clubs.
I play 10 because, over the last few years, I have learned what works for me, and what doesn't. I can't hit drivers or fairway metal, and any wedge over 56 degrees( my sand wedge) is a wasted club.
I carry a 2 ironwood( mini hybrid) through a 5 ironwood, a 6-7-9( leave out the 8) PW, SW, and a Putter.
Oh, and final thought.I'm not playing to try to win the Club Championship, I just want to get out on the course, even in a heatwave. At least I have a chance of beating a 96( degrees).

Re: Golf tip of the day - Just have fun and don't keep score***

Sep 17, 2019, 5:16 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It would probably help if you got out of that Tiger suit

Sep 17, 2019, 4:49 PM

too. I can see it is restricting your swing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,238
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic