Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like

Mar 6, 2020, 10:41 AM

getting a definition of gun control. There is no consensus. Here is mine. Would love to see others. "If you don't reach for the sky you will never get off the ground."

Top half of acc every year
NCAA tourney most years
NIT if not in NCAA’s
and i don’t think it is unreasonable to expect to be better than most of the 100++ teams out there, therefore in the top 25 of rankings every year

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Re: Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like

Mar 6, 2020, 10:45 AM

reasonable goals. I dont know what we are reaching for but it seems to screw up our jump shots and ft's

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Success is

Mar 6, 2020, 10:55 AM

Being a Clemson man. It’s really that simple. It’s not about wins and loses. It’s about being a part of something great.

GO TIGERS.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To quote and old joke- Success is

Mar 6, 2020, 11:33 AM

fleeting and Fleet is an enema

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2020, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like ]

Reaching is a foul in basketball, so we have stopped to avoid foul trouble.

Moving the goals up has to make shots harder from

Mar 6, 2020, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like ]

just about any spot on the floor. Maybe that's been our problem all along.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2020, 10:57 AM

Just a few comments on your expectations.

In reference to #1 and #2:

In most years the ACC gets 7 or 8 teams in the NCAAT.

If you expect top half every year but NCAA just in most years, those things don't line up because top half gets you in the NCAAT every season until this year when we may actually finish top half and still not make it.

NIT if not in NCAAT is a very reasonable expectation that I agree with.

#4: While being in the top 25 definitely requires being better than most teams in the country, there are lots and lots of teams that are better than "most of the 100++" that are not ranked and we are one of those teams.

By your set of expectations, and with a win tonight, we will likely achieve 3 of your 4 expectations with making the NCAAT the only box not checked which by your own admission shouldn't be expected every season.

Do you consider this year to be positive year for the program or not?

2013-2014 we finished in the top half of the conference and

Mar 6, 2020, 11:14 AM

didn't get in. That's the only year I can remember.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: 2013-2014 we finished in the top half of the conference and

Mar 6, 2020, 11:21 AM

Last year we finished tied for 8th and would have had a really strong argument for getting into the NCAAT with a win in any number of our close losses.

I think much of this season's frustrations come from falling so short of last season's expectations.

Brownell should have been rebuilding this season while coming off of back to back NCAATs.

Instead the narrative is that, "BB is about to miss the tournament AGAIN".

That's a very good point

Mar 6, 2020, 11:33 AM

And I still think that if we don't collapse in the 2nd half against NCSU in the ACCT we would've made the NCAA Tournament.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

The ACC is getting 3-4 teams in this year***

Mar 6, 2020, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like ]

Mar 6, 2020, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Getting a definition of success for Tiger basketball is like ]

This year is reasonably good relative to the expectations for the year. I do not think it is good relative to what should be expected of D-1 major nationally known institution.
Re: my 1 and 2 you are right. I guess I was not thinking and talking mathematically. Thanks for checking in.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MINIMUM of NCAA tournament 50% of the time.

Mar 6, 2020, 11:31 AM

The clock starts in year two. No coach gets more than one "throw away" year at the beginning of their tenure.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: MINIMUM of NCAA tournament 50% of the time.

Mar 6, 2020, 11:38 AM

The problem with starting that clock in year two is shown perfectly by the situation that Brownell had when coming in.

In his first season, he had enough good players left to make the NCAAT but OP's entire recruiting class bailed and a few key leftovers transferred.

He then spent years 2 and 3 with a team filled mostly with freshmen and sophomores who had no chance of competing with the juniors and seniors in the ACC.

This isn't always how things work in a coaching change, but that's how it happened to Brownell.

This is in no way a defense of what he did in years 4-7, but your desire for immediate success is not always a reality no matter how good the coach may be.

BB inherited a guaranteed NCAA Tournament Team that

Mar 6, 2020, 11:43 AM

had been to 3 straight after 2 straight NIT appearances - a steady improvement every year.

All Brad had to do was use that success and the guarantee of his first team being an NCAA Tournament team as a springboard to good recruiting.

But, alas, he could not get it done.

Yeah but facilities, which did not prevent us from 3

Mar 6, 2020, 2:41 PM

straight NCAA appearances, all of a sudden deteriorated overnight to the point that they became an insurmountable obstacle.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

That wasn’t a guaranteed NCAA Tournament team.

Mar 6, 2020, 5:39 PM [ in reply to BB inherited a guaranteed NCAA Tournament Team that ]

And did you not read the post you responded to? It wasn’t nearly as straightforward as you suggest.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Maybe you misunterstood me. I'm not saying that he'd

Mar 6, 2020, 2:37 PM [ in reply to Re: MINIMUM of NCAA tournament 50% of the time. ]

have to make the tournament in year two, but year two would have to count as part of the record upon which he is evaluated and judged. In other words, when evaluating coach's performance, you couldn't say (like so many do with Brownell) that the first 7 years don't count, they can't be held against him. That is a steaming pile of crap. Instead, we would say that year one can be a throw away; we won't judge any coach on their first year, but in year 4 or 5, when we look back to evaluate the coach, it's totally fair to say "we didn't really improve much in year 2 or 3, and we still haven't made the NCAA tournament". Somehow, Brownell is exempt from that.

- H. L. Mencken

Gun control is easy... everyone with an AR

Mar 6, 2020, 11:39 AM

Should hold it with both hands while shooting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gun control is easy... everyone with an AR

Mar 6, 2020, 6:15 PM

I have two and refuse to put one down just to shoot the other.

Sounds good to me.***

Mar 6, 2020, 2:42 PM

Mar 6, 2020, 7:29 PM

This is getting really interesting. None of my fellow tneters have offered up their definition of success like I did. Kinda like getting a definition of middle class or rich.
I am positive many of you have some parameters in mind. Love to hear yours?? i might then adjust mine.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic