Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Historic Clemson Photos #60: Early 50's campus
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

General Update: Historic Clemson Photos #60: Early 50's campus

Jul 1, 2013, 12:27 PM

Historic Clemson Photos #60: Early 50's campus

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Update: Historic Clemson Photos #60: Early 50's campus

Jul 1, 2013, 12:30 PM

Before the eyesore called Johnstone. Wish we'd level all of that thing. It was a dump years ago when I lived there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2013, 5:49 PM

My friend you are so wrong about Johnston Hall. Nothing could be more memorable for me that being on A6 the night Martin Luther King was assassinated in Memphis. A guy busted through the door to the loggia and ran down the hall shouting: "They shot Martin Luther King! They shot Martin Luther King!"

How memorable were the early morning hours in the summer of 1968 when I was in the lounge studying trying to pass the exam that, if I could have passed, would have allowed me to return for a second year. Without any warning the TV came on back then the TV signed off at 11:00 pm) and I learned that Bobby Kennedy had been shot!

Do not discard history for "looking pretty"! The next year I became a Marine and served in Vietnam.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2013, 9:12 AM

Change the dorm location, where I was on campus in 1968,returning for a fourth year instead of a second, and the branch of service, and I could have written this post. My Political Science professor proceeded to commit suicide after RFK's death.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Message was edited by: clover65®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The "tin cans" were forbidding enough to me, as a new

Jul 2, 2013, 10:37 AM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Historic Clemson Photos #60: Early 50's campus ]

student, although as time passed, I liked the easy familiarity with other students. Most everyone on the same hall knew and visited with each other frequently, and the pranks were hilarious. Who could forget the short sheeting, the water slides, the toilet flushing or the ledge perching?

They were a part of my experience there, as I lived in them the entire four years. However, with progress comes change...and eventually they had to go.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2013, 12:37 PM

Thanks for that picture. Brackett Hall is named for my great grandfather - Richard Newman Brackett-founding faculty. Though most of them have passed away by now-I have met several former students who said they never would have graduated from Clemson if my great grandfather hadn't passed them in chemistry.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic