Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

General Update: Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings

Oct 28, 2013, 4:41 PM

Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

:42 of the below link for Oculus talk

Oct 28, 2013, 4:50 PM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28500&id=3087448&db_oem_id=28500

You're welcome.

is it me or does this look odd?

Oct 28, 2013, 4:58 PM

looks like an entrance to an elementary school where the buses pull up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

amiright or amiright?

Oct 28, 2013, 5:01 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are right

Oct 28, 2013, 8:01 PM

However, I don't think the rendering is very representative of the spectacular oculus.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: General Update: Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings

Oct 28, 2013, 7:24 PM

Please reply if you really understand and have accurate info.

What is a rebuilt basketball arena?

I thought that was what Clemson got with the most recent Littlejohn update which was an absolute waste of money.

Thank you.

What Clemson got in 2002/2003 was a renovated arena

Oct 28, 2013, 7:59 PM

rather than a rebuilt arena. The Littlejohn renovation was sorely needed back then, but it really only brought the arena up to par for ACC competition. It definitely improved the arena, but the AD and admin did not make the push to build the creme of the crop back then, because it had no leverage. That was shortly after Rick Barnes left and Shyatt drove the team into the ground. There was little patience and more importantly, little financial support to build the best arena.

With the entrance of Syracuse, Louisville, Pitt, and Notre Dame, plus new/rebuilt arenas at Virginia, Georgia Tech, Miami, and Florida State, Littlejohn is right back in the bottom rung of ACC quality arenas. If we even want a sniff at competing year in and year out in the new ACC, the arena needs a rebuild, not a renovation. I'm very excited in what I saw with the renovations, particularly with bringing student seating courtside and in a bowl setting to create noise and TV presence.

Oct 28, 2013, 8:39 PM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings ]

1/3rd of the budget in 2003 was to fix the #### roof. When we discovered the Roof problem in 2003 we shuold have done what we are doing now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 29, 2013, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Clemson Athletics Releases Pre-Concept Facility Renderings ]

The way he described it would require that Littlejohn be razed and a new, from the ground up, facility be constructed. It still will be at the same location as the present facility, but this thing is so different there would be no need to even bother with a renovation of the current facility. Maybe I misunderstood, but That was my take. The thing I don't understand is how it all gets paid for. His reputation at GT was one of spending them into oblivion. It seems that some things never change. Now he just has a new piggy bank to break.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2013, 11:49 AM

If the Clemson basketball program wants to be relevant in the ACC, (and nationally) they should focus in two areas IMO.

1. Hire a coach that presents a stark contrast to their primary competition (Duke, UNC, Syracuse) in an effort to improve recruiting.

* As all three of the programs named have older/established coaches, that would lead me to look for a younger coach. (and possibly pursue an african american coach too) My short list would include Shaka Smart and Greg Buckner. (as a starting point)

2. Build facilities that separate Clemson Basketball (in a positive way) from other programs. Clemson University owns more land and has the advantage of a lake, rolling hills and a beautiful campus that could create a first class venue.

Why not build a new facility on the west side of Lake Hartwell that has glass that overlooks the lake & campus? That would also allow the football program to transform Littlejohn into an even better indoor facility, that could also include some of the other functions that seem to be needed.

Oct 29, 2013, 1:51 PM

Not bad thoughts, but I don't mind building the new one back where the current one now stands. I just hope they explore all possibilities before they make a bad move.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 29, 2013, 3:39 PM

Renovating Littlejohn (again) would keep the basketball arena within closer walking distance to students.

However, I think the potential view across the lake would be a better way to improve the facilities. (as well as make the lake a more meaningful part of the Clemson campus) Building a new facility would also allow the coaching staff/players to help design the new facility without the constraints that Littlejohn will present. (if renovated)

Taking this route would also allow the football program to consolidate their operations (something Clemson's AD mentioned) by turning Littlejohn into an even better indoor facility. (that could possibly include a museum and other functions)

I wouldn't mind seeing them consider relocating the baseball operations across the lake (as well) so that students could catch HRs while tubing in the lake.

Oct 29, 2013, 7:37 PM

Not bad ideas. I do wonder what is in store with these proposed upgrades. Radakovich is a big spender. That is what I gathered from some of my GT friends, but even so, I think my connections liked him. They did comment on the fact that we had more budget to work with than they did, so DR would like us better. He isn't afraid to load the wagon with an aggressive upgrade program. I will acknowledge that.

Oculus looks smaller than I had hoped

Oct 28, 2013, 7:36 PM

Must be a little chilly

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Oculus seems to be covering Dabo's speech giving

Oct 28, 2013, 8:21 PM

balcony!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Oculus Or Bust!!!!

Oct 28, 2013, 8:38 PM

No Oculus, no check from Big Orange!
LOL, Go Tigers!

The Oculus sounded a little taller on radio.***

Oct 28, 2013, 8:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

New basketball arena looks amazing...

Oct 28, 2013, 10:56 PM

Love the open design with student seating all down the length of the court. Nice!

Oct 29, 2013, 1:28 PM

Anybody know what if anything will be done to upgrade the practice facilities and provide better player amenities? IMO these things will have the most significant impact on recruiting.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic