Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Barker's email to students about booing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 55
| visibility 1

General Update: Barker's email to students about booing

Oct 23, 2012, 10:30 AM

Barker's email to students about booing

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans

Oct 23, 2012, 10:31 AM

:0)

Well said on President Barker's part.

Oct 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

The ceremony wasn't about who is in office. It was supposed to be about those young people who are gonna be serving our country. That was a pivotal moment in their lives, and the booing sullied it. I'm not a Democrat or a Republic (I hate all politics), but that display really saddened me, as well.

"The rock has strange powers. When you rub it, and run down the hill, the adrenaline flows. It’s the most emotional experience I’ve ever had." -Michael Dean Perry

"If you don't like Clemson, something is wrong with YOU." -Dabo Swinney

Trash is gonna do what trash does.***

Oct 23, 2012, 11:14 AM

Re: General Update: Barker's email to students about booing

Oct 23, 2012, 10:33 AM

I thought it was sprinkled throughout the stadium. I did not see it as a student issue of course where you are in DV impacts what you hear. My wife and I both commented on it. It was disappointing and I expected better from a Clemson crowd. Not about politics but about the office of the president

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2012, 10:38 AM

Well done, President Barker.

How about the guy in UT who screamed in his best

Oct 23, 2012, 10:39 AM

Ric Flair style when they got to the "obey the President" part?

Very nicely stated

Oct 23, 2012, 10:41 AM

When I first saw this link I thought to myself uh-oh, here comes another brow beating like the kind TDP used to issue to all the fans. But President Barker did a really nice job of expressing his disappointment without sounding patronizing. Excellent job on his part.

Re: Very nicely stated

Oct 23, 2012, 10:43 AM

he must have some US News rating points on the table here then.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was hoping he was adressing the woohooing***

Oct 23, 2012, 10:43 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. (N/T)

Oct 23, 2012, 10:55 AM

Even though I knew what it was about, I secretly deep inside wished it was a ban of the woohoo.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Booo Hooo. We dont give a crap!***

Oct 23, 2012, 10:46 AM

TD? Is that you Jimbo?***

Oct 23, 2012, 10:56 AM

^^ Lives in a trailer with a washer & dryer, and rusty car

Oct 23, 2012, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Booo Hooo. We dont give a crap!*** ]

in the front yard, and goats and chickens in the back.

Oct 23, 2012, 10:54 AM

I do agree that Barker's message was well written. However, good luck with that whole getting 80,000 people to all act a certain way thing.

The real issue here, IMO, is that this is a special moment for the cadets and any negative publicity soils it to some extent. There were plenty other comments, talking, and cheers during the oath. If this is perceived as an issue, there are other settings/venues in which to deliver the oath without hoping that 80,000 fans will act civil/respectful/appropriate/insert your word here.

Also, I've read all the comments since Saturday about the booing and am just now watching the video for the first time. I wasn't at the game, but I can definitely say this has been blown way out of proportion by many people based on what came across in the audio of the video.

100 percent correct!!!!!***

Oct 23, 2012, 11:03 AM

I was there. It was awful. Clemson has more class then this.

Oct 23, 2012, 11:08 AM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Barker's email to students about booing ]

Whether you heard it or not on the video, it was pretty predominent in the stadium. Personally, I thought it was discraceful to inject political views into a moment such as the one that was occuring. I had brought family down that had not experienced Clemson before, and I for one was embarrassed that their first time here they witnessed that.

I'm not sure how you can say anything against Barkers letter. This men were entering into an oath to join our Armed Forces, and you boo a remark about our President because of your political views? Simply embarrassing.

The point is - wrong venue (if you're going to complain)

Oct 23, 2012, 11:25 AM

A military induction at a college football game?

The majority of the people attending a college football game have been drinking and are primed for booing / cheering.

BS. If you use drinking as an excuse for acting uncivilized

Oct 23, 2012, 11:33 AM

then you don't need to drink...

I GUARANTEE you that whoever came up with this AWESOME idea never once considered the possibility that CLEMSON people would boo during a military induction ceremony.

I know I wouldn't have believed it if I wasn't there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not an excuse....its an EXAMPLE

Oct 23, 2012, 11:45 AM

of being the wrong venue.

Re: I was there. It was awful. Clemson has more class then this.

Oct 23, 2012, 3:17 PM [ in reply to I was there. It was awful. Clemson has more class then this. ]

Stupid rude people usually don't have any respect for others or anything. And it comes in Orange also. Very sad, but very true!!! I wasn't there, but I'm still embarrassed by it. The service men giving the oath didn't deserve being disrespected for doing what they do, just b/c some don't like our President. Simply classless!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have a feeling the next noon home game

Oct 23, 2012, 10:57 AM

The students won't be in their seats early

Don't disagree with

Oct 23, 2012, 11:16 AM

...anything President Barker said, and I don't condone what happened, BUT I think there a few things worth noting.

The Presidency over the last 4 years and in recent debates have come across as very un-presidential (i.e. if you disagree with somebody "get in their face" comment, etc...). The President is supposed to be the standard bearer of civility and thoughtful behavior. Instead he's come across as pretty amatuerish by Presidential standards. The lack if civility during the campaign has been at an all-time high, and The President has been front and center throughout.

Civility has been on the downswing in our country for some time, and that's reflected across the board in politics. Add the fact that The President of The United States has been setting the "example" for the last 4 years and its little wonder that some people have forgotten how to act. The great uniter has turned into the great divider pitting American vs. American. Is it really any wonder people were booing? Or, were they simply following the Presidential lead?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Don't disagree with

Oct 23, 2012, 11:28 AM

You are completely missing the point. Save your political views for November 6 and don't condone people embarassing the University.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 23, 2012, 12:33 PM

I clearly stated that I didn't condone the booing. Guess you missed that part. Didn't voice any political views either.

You didn't understand my context at all. I merely stated that recent Presidential behavior was very un-presidential and has set a bad example for Americans.

In the future, think before you jump to conclusions.

Oct 23, 2012, 12:38 PM

Or maybe it isn't just the president but society in general?

Oct 23, 2012, 12:49 PM

Welcome aboard.

"Civility has been on the downswing in our country for some time, and that's reflected across the board in politics."

Oct 23, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Don't disagree with ]

Or just voice your political views in a manner that does not bring discredit to the messenger more so than the object of your derision.

Oct 23, 2012, 1:28 PM

Well said. Reckless has again made this about politics. The ceremony at the game was not about politics.

It's like when the idiot congressman yelled "you lie" during the State of the Union. That kind of outburst would be inappropriate no matter who the target.

People need to show some class. And Reckless, when you reply with something like "well the guy in the White House isn't showing class" you'll again be missing the point.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension

Oct 24, 2012, 8:08 PM

Next time I'll try to make my point on a 3rd grade level since you're not able to understand. You crack me up.

By mischaracterizing what I said AGAIN you prove my point.

I guess we know which party lacks class***

Oct 23, 2012, 11:18 AM

I knew that was coming hahaha-----I only boo refs at

Oct 23, 2012, 11:21 AM

football games!

Can you imagine the Gang of Conservative Circle Jerkers...

Oct 23, 2012, 12:23 PM [ in reply to I guess we know which party lacks class*** ]

..if this deal was reversed?

Common sense: let's don't turn off our student athletes and

Oct 23, 2012, 11:24 AM

recruites and their families many of whom are
Tiger fans! Think about it! GO TIGERS WIN OUT AND GET A BCS BOWL!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The email also went to faculty and staff, not just students. Clemson has a long tradition of tolerance and respect, and I appreciate President Barker's advocacy of these values.

Barker is exactly right. The

booing during the oath was terrible and, in all places, MEMORIAL stadium - named for Clemson's fallen - all who took the oath.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOOOOOOOOOOOO...breath...OOOOOOOOOOOO!!!***

Barker is right, but no one respects anything anymore***

Oct 23, 2012, 11:55 AM

Oct 23, 2012, 12:13 PM

I wasn't there and this is the first I have heard of it. I understand both sides of the comments but have to say I could care less about the opinions of the people in the stands who felt the need to express their political view during a very emotional time for the people being inducted.

I went to Clemson and served in the US Navy for 20 yrs. I served under 4 serving presidents and although I didn't always agree with their politics, I was always respectful of the the position. One of those presidents actually shook my hand and thanked me for the job I did.

I remember my inductions (both of them - once as an enlisted sailor and once as an officer). I was proud to say EVERY word and in case people forget, it also says "Defend the Constitution of the United States" which states that free speech is a right in this country. I fought two wars to protect that right, among others. Doesn't mean I have to like what you have to say though!

I have been all over the world and can honestly say there is no other place I would rather live. For those who think it is bad in this country and our president (pick one) is bad, try going to Mogedishu/Northern Africa or Indonesia or even India or China.

Keep some perspective people!

This was a ceremony for young people DEDICATING themselves to your protection. Saying that come what may I will lay down my life to protect the way of life that our country is founded upon. What you should have done was just SHUT UP and reflect on exactly what those young people were doing there....not on whether the President is lowering your taxes or saving Medicare! And that is my right to exercise my free speech!

Oct 23, 2012, 2:03 PM

As both a Clemson alumnus and veteran, I completely agree with TrickyRick86's comments.

That was a very special and proud moment for those young cadets and their families. They deserved a display of respect and gratitude. Too bad it was tarnished by such a disrespectful display from such a large number of low-class individuals.

Oct 23, 2012, 12:36 PM

I guess the students are a little upset that they are investing 4 years at school at a cost of $20,000+ per year only to find that maybe 50% of them will find a job. All of that because of a lying, brainless idiot in the White House that worked for a convicted crime lord and as far as business experience he has never even run a lemonade stand. Boy, that is some real inspiration.

99.9% of these comments are honorable

Oct 23, 2012, 1:03 PM

I am honored to be a Tiger. I understand that those booing were ignorant fans who don't respect America. Like Obama or not, he is a US President, show respect. That was not the venue to express your political views. If I'm a recruit, or a parent of a recruit, Clemson lost a little bit of it's luster because of the idiots that booo'ed.

Right

Oct 23, 2012, 1:33 PM

because Clemson is the only place that would happen.

If someone's that ignorant - don't come to Clemson.

Pres. Barker is 100% correct***

Oct 23, 2012, 1:55 PM

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

I was there and on the west end and did not notice the boos

Oct 23, 2012, 2:02 PM

All I heard were the cheers but totally understand that this ceremony was very important to those being sworn and not a place for booing.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey Barker, do you understand that this president received

Oct 23, 2012, 2:10 PM

a Noble Peace Prize before doing anything, then followed up with sending more troops to fight, the exact opposite action from which HE promised the good military folks on his campaign in 2008? Do you not see the displeasure on what is really happened with or debt, or jobs, more stripping or our rights, ect??? Has nothing to do with a color or the next election. America is tired. Maybe you aren't from where you stay at, but most Americans who can look past a party system will tell you that. I didn't even bother to read past the first paragraph, btw, and I realize you won't read this. However, I'm exercising my voice as I'm allowed to. Call this a boo, too.

Re: Hey Barker, do you understand that this president received

Oct 23, 2012, 2:37 PM

You know it seems like some of you just don't get it! This had nothing to do with the sitting president! It was a ceremony that the inductees agreed to follow the orders of the President of the United States and the officers appointed over them. Would you condone booing the officers of the United States Army, Navy, Air Force, or Marines? As a military service member we don't get to choose who to obey or not based on our politics. The President is the Commander In Chief of the United States military forces.

Trust me we knew when the politicians said they would get us out of Iraq or Afghanistan (Bush put us there by the way) that we weren't leaving any time soon. Didn't pass the common sense test. But that is not what this was about....it was about young people who will always remember that they were booed by the fans at the Clemson football game when they took their oath to defend and protect the Constitution of the United States.

As a whole, no. Certain ones, yes.

Oct 23, 2012, 3:24 PM

BTW, I come from a family deep rooted in the military. So, tell me again what I don't get about a boo coming at the specific time of "Follow the President". I'm not taking anything away from those who fought, but I consider what the administration has done to those folks, not just now but over and over, a shame. Did it ever occur to you that "they" spread us thin and divide us at home for a different purpose than what the good folks signed up for? Somebody somewhere has to be displeased at some point or the point is never truly made.

Re: As a whole, no. Certain ones, yes.

Oct 23, 2012, 3:56 PM

Again this wasn't about politics! It was about taking an oath to "Follow the ORDERS of the President" whoever that may be. Would you boo if "YOUR" president was in office? Show the respect to the people who are taking the oath regardless of your political leanings. The military DOES NOT have that option. We follow the orders of those appointed over us...including the President. You seem to think that officers and enlisted can choose which orders to follow. That is called Anarchy. What purpose have we been spread thin for? So the economy could fail while the military wasn't watching?

I do realize that when a person enlist they have to carry...

Oct 23, 2012, 4:22 PM

out what is given. Did you not see that I come from a military family, many generations for pete's sake? Spread thin and divided by the politicians (some whom are exmilitary) as they continue to not work for the American people. Makes it easier to control the masses, huh?

So do you believe the oath taken on Saturday

Oct 24, 2012, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Hey Barker, do you understand that this president received ]

by those young people is less important to follow than others who took the oath under a different president?

Was there less honor in the oath they took Saturday because of the current President?

Will there oath not still be tainted by boos when this President is no longer President, but they are still serving in the military?

Some of you people can't see past your own selfishness. Every once in a while, hard as it is to believe, the world is not revolving around you.

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

A lot of the above comments reiterate poor judgement

Oct 23, 2012, 3:35 PM

Apparently it wasn't just a select few jerks; it was a LOT of jerks.

That boo was insulting to Clemson. Forget your feelings about the president and respect the cadets because it the moment was meant for them.

I'm not a fan of the current president, but this was no venue for anyone to express that opinion.

Employees and alumni got it too.

Oct 23, 2012, 3:36 PM

At least, I did. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THEY ASKED FOR IT

Oct 24, 2012, 9:45 AM

Was booing at that moment wrong - yes in my opinion.

But they asked for it.

First, they shouldnt have conducted that exercise in that venuew and should not have mic'ed the General giving the oath.

Second - in my opinion the general, emphasized that point as to make a point about the issue. Whether he is Dem or Rep, he shouldnt have done that. He wanted to make a point.

Third - what makes America great, is that they were taking an oath to defend the right for the fans to boo and make their opinion known.

I think it was wrong to boo and think several other rights are not right just be cause they are rights.

But I fought for those rights for 8 years and am glad I can exercise the same rights for the thoughts and opinions I have.

Go Tigers beat wake.

It's not as though any of the soldiers thought

Oct 24, 2012, 10:08 AM

it was them that were being booed. If people had booed the entire time the oath was taking place, I would have a major problem with it. They were clearly booing the current president, and it was their right as Americans and as paying ticket holders to do so.

I, for one, am not a fan of Barker feeling the need to chastise grown adults, no matter what they did, seems very "holier than thou"

Well... now it's on DrudgeReport...WTG...

Oct 24, 2012, 4:27 PM

Not really the publicity you want for your university.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/local-news/oconee-pickens-news/President-Obama-booed-during-Clemson-game/-/9654906/17111956/-/jygtdr/-/index.html

Replies: 55
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic