Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release

Jul 18, 2013, 1:25 PM

Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release

Jul 18, 2013, 1:26 PM

on heck of a time to dump the swim team is all I can say. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

someone get our rowers out of the water***

Jul 18, 2013, 1:41 PM

Seepage?

Jul 18, 2013, 1:42 PM

http://www.rathergood.com/seepage

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What did I just watch?***

Jul 18, 2013, 2:12 PM

This helps explain it a little better:

Jul 18, 2013, 2:24 PM

http://www.rathergood.com/bacon_rocket

( Worth watching to the end - and YES - you will be refunded your 1:39 secs of life )

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Were they speaking English?***

Jul 18, 2013, 2:44 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I don't know, but no amount of liquor or drugs

Jul 18, 2013, 2:45 PM [ in reply to What did I just watch?*** ]

would make that enjoyable to watch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Somethings can't be unseen...***

Jul 18, 2013, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Seepage? ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

On the bright side: The Valley is a heck of a rowing venue***

Jul 18, 2013, 1:44 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those in Clemson/near campus

Jul 18, 2013, 1:46 PM

How worried should we be? Serious question.

Re: For those in Clemson/near campus

Jul 18, 2013, 1:49 PM

I'd only be worried if your house is in a pretty low-lying area.

Worst-case is probably some flooding near the baseball field

Re: Re: For those in Clemson/near campus

Jul 18, 2013, 1:51 PM

Thanks man I was hopeing I wasnt gonna have to drive up to Gods country to fill sand bags :)

Re: Re: For those in Clemson/near campus

Jul 18, 2013, 3:26 PM

Yeah unless you're in a low area or close to a creek that feeds the lake you'll be fine.

CATFISHNADO!!***

Jul 18, 2013, 1:54 PM

Re: CATFISHNADO!!***

Jul 18, 2013, 1:59 PM

Catfishnado 2 : Doo Doo sleeps with the fishes.

Wouldn't it be CATFISHNADO 2 : Electric Boogaloo?***

Jul 18, 2013, 3:07 PM

It's amazing the inability they have in maintaining Hartwell

Jul 18, 2013, 2:02 PM

levels. Keowee reserves the right to stop all flow if we are in a drought & the corp sucks down Hartwell to keep Russell high. It also seems like Hartwell is taking the brunt of the flood water. I'm just glad I'm not a property owner on Hartwell.

Hartwell is a bit more voluminous than Keowee

Jul 18, 2013, 2:13 PM

We're big enough to be the most sensible buffer.

They just need to coordinate with the ACoE on Hartwell....

Jul 18, 2013, 2:25 PM

so the floodgates on the Hartwel ldam be be re-opened again if necessary.

It doesn't sound like the two groups are communicating.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Amazing? The Feds manage it. What more do you need to know?***

Jul 18, 2013, 3:38 PM [ in reply to It's amazing the inability they have in maintaining Hartwell ]

This is why I'm a property owner on Keowee (in Sunset).***

Jul 19, 2013, 12:13 AM [ in reply to It's amazing the inability they have in maintaining Hartwell ]

Truthfully, the Army Corp cares very little about any

Jul 19, 2013, 12:19 AM [ in reply to It's amazing the inability they have in maintaining Hartwell ]

recreational use of the lake. It's primary purpose was to generate power...everything else is secondary.

There is also a lot of other issues people aren't even aware of like salt water back flow near the basin, and the need for fresh water mussels to have a steady supply of stream water. Water HAS to be released for environmental purposes and quite frankly, I find that much more praise worthy than pleasing people who hate the sight of a low lake...

Re: General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release

Jul 18, 2013, 2:54 PM

I agree with the lack of coordination. I would have no problem with the release if Keowee would also release in periods of drought. Seems like it only works one way. Help Keowee out in flood times, but no help from Keowee for Hartwell during droughts. I would complain to the Corps but they would do a two year study and conclude Congress would have to act before they could do anything.

I grew up on Hartwell, sounds like you have dealt with the

Jul 18, 2013, 3:01 PM

Core before...

Congressman from GA & SC met in Augusta earlier this year to

Jul 18, 2013, 3:02 PM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release ]

get some answers and demand some better coordination with the Corp of Engineers. There are a lot of monetary interests like real estate, tourism, recreation, etc. that weren't being represented adequately and the only considerations were power companies and corporate 'flushing'. I'm interested to see how they might impact things down river.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't have a lobbyist, you are not getting adequate

Jul 18, 2013, 3:03 PM

representation...

Keowee has to stay at a certain level

Jul 18, 2013, 3:27 PM [ in reply to Re: General Update: Alert: Hartwell Lake water levels may rise due to Lake Keowee release ]

because their power plant is nuclear.

Re: Keowee has to stay at a certain level

Jul 18, 2013, 4:14 PM

What people don't seem to understand is that the Lake was built strictly for the Nuclear Plant. Bunch of dumb a$$e$.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ken

That's what I'm saying...the lake was never built to please

Jul 19, 2013, 12:26 AM

the public. The public jumped all over the opportunity to own and experience a piece of Hartwell for recreational purposes. Now many demand things for which they have no right to.

It's was built to solely generate power and more goes into maintaining water levels than just simply pleasing the public such as environmental issues down stream. The general public needs to educate themselves before sounding like a bunch of hillbillies demanding high lake levels so they can enjoy a beer on a boat...

That's a poor excuse. It's like saying my car needs to stay

Jul 18, 2013, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Keowee has to stay at a certain level ]

90% full all times just in case I don't see a gas station for the next 1000 miles. It would take weeks to run all the water in Keowee through that reactor and by that point any potential meltdown would have already happened.

The lake level has to stay within 5 feet of full pool or ...

Jul 19, 2013, 12:16 AM

Reactors can't draw in sufficient water for cooling...

Jul 18, 2013, 6:00 PM

There are many times Keowee could release and not have any negative effect on the water levels for the reactors. There sure is a lot of development around that pond which was built "only" for the nuclear power plant.

Jul 19, 2013, 12:21 AM

Don't kid yourself. Duke knew the land was going to be another big revenue source too.

That said, buyers have choices. Hartwell or Keowee? The facts and info are there to make an educated decision. No one is forced to buy on either lake.

Caveat emptor. I chose Keowee for the exact reason that the pool level just be maintained for the nuke plant. And I chose the northern most part near The Reserve because it stays the coolest and has the deepest water.

All of this is public info hidden from no one.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic