Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecocks say we are in their rear view mirror
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Gamecocks say we are in their rear view mirror

Jul 11, 2012, 9:22 AM

A friend of mine, a coot yes, but still a lifelong friend posted a link to an article on FB. It is basically stating that they generate so much more revenue and that their improved facilities will lead to dominating the recruiting boards and the rivalry, of which they don't see as much of a rivalry anymore. I guess because of the threepeat.

"One of my closest friends is a big-time Clemson fan from a dyed-in-the-orange-wool Clemson family. We've given each other static since the 1980s about CU-USC; based on the record book it's no surprise that he has had the upper hand in smack-talk for most of that time. You all probably have friends just like him.

Since the three-peat, however, I've taken to telling my buddy that Clemmy is now firmly planted in USC's "rear-view mirror" - that not only do we not foresee ever losing to the Tigers again, but that we no longer view them as much of a rival - e.g., compared to Georgia. Good natured trash talk like this is what keeps the rivalry interesting."

Did you read that? Not only do they not foresee losing to us again, they don't even see us as a rival anymore!!!! Wow.

http://mobile.garnetandblackattack.com/2012/7/7/3143421/the-clemson-south-carolina-rivalry-are-the-gamecocks-putting-the

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That just means they are about to be lapped***

Jul 11, 2012, 9:24 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You beat me to it....

Jul 11, 2012, 9:25 AM

I was about to say they're not even on the lead lap.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

FACEPALM*******

Jul 11, 2012, 10:26 AM

And how long is the list of those in Orange who care what

Jul 11, 2012, 9:25 AM

a bunch of ###### heads think?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

what he said***

Jul 11, 2012, 10:31 AM

They've thought they've crossed that mountain before,

Jul 11, 2012, 9:26 AM

only to drift back to mediocrity . They'll finish 7-5 this year whining about UGA's easy schedule.

If they really believed that, every single move made by Clemson wouldn't bother them as much.

7-5? Give me a break.

Jul 11, 2012, 11:06 AM

The coots will go 6-6.

They also think football started 3 years ago***

Jul 11, 2012, 9:26 AM

lol***

Jul 11, 2012, 9:27 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Heck, the well known thinker Gamecock Will,

Jul 11, 2012, 9:29 AM

Playboy, Athlete, Public Speaker, Entrepreneur, and all around gift to society, said just yesterday that his ##### have put both Florida and Tennessee in the rear view. Interesting thing was, the announcer on 104.9theCOOT agreed with him. So it must be true

Partly true, but USuC had nothing to do with it.

Jul 11, 2012, 9:34 AM

Florida will be back, Tn will take longer. Both teams are down. USuC has nothing to do with it. It isn't like these 2 are beating everyone else and USuC has passed them by.

It's no coincidence that USuC best years in history are at the same time Fl,Tn, Cu and to some extent UGA are down.

Beating us the last 3 years puts them in the same class as NC State.

I won't say the rent's due in November,things are just changing in those hills.

I agree that UT and UF being down helped them...

Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 AM

But USC is better than they have been in the past. That much is pretty easy to see. So I wouldn't say they had "nothing to do with it".

Lost their key D players from each level. Ingram, Allen, Gil

Jul 11, 2012, 9:41 AM

more. Lattimore better stay healthy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lost their key D players from each level. Ingram, Allen, Gil

Jul 11, 2012, 9:49 AM

Ingram is replace by Clowney.. No big deal.

The secondary will be a problem though, we need a player or two to step up and play well in the secondary. Depth is definitely a concern.

I agree with you that Gilmore is an irreplaceable loss and

Jul 11, 2012, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Lost their key D players from each level. Ingram, Allen, Gil ]

that Lattimore is a question mark.

Re: Heck, the well known thinker Gamecock Will,

Jul 11, 2012, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Heck, the well known thinker Gamecock Will, ]

who was on 104.9 that agreed with him

USC will always view Clemson as a rival...

Jul 11, 2012, 9:30 AM

Just like Clemson has always viewed USC as a rival, even when they were winning 58 in a row, or whatever it was.

5th place has really swollen their heads

Jul 11, 2012, 9:32 AM

To bursting point.

COLLEGE: A three-year starter at strong safety for Clemson, finished his career with 234 tackles and 11 interceptions.

Number 8 in the nation.***

Jul 11, 2012, 11:11 AM

And no one in the country cares***

Jul 11, 2012, 11:57 AM

Re: And no one in the country cares***

Jul 11, 2012, 12:33 PM

We do and evidently you care enough to comment on my response.

Neil, you poor guy...

Jul 11, 2012, 12:35 PM

Kid yourself if it helps, but in general nobody really gives a rat's ### about USuC.

Re: Neil, you poor guy...

Jul 11, 2012, 12:42 PM

LOL. Thanks for proving my point, sport.

Neil, you're obviously a very weird dude...

Jul 11, 2012, 6:09 PM

And you make no sense whatsoever.

Nice responses

Jul 11, 2012, 9:32 AM

I just wanted to hear what you guys thought about that. This same friend of mine says money has nothing to do with them winning 3 in a row. He also told me Coemson moving to the Big 12 would be good for SC on head to head recruiting. Then posts a link to an article saying we are stupid to stay in the ACC because of money.

So all this extra money and we land Nkemdiche and have Fuller and Adams coming to visit. In talks with Green and Dye. I say our recruiting in better despite their "wonderful" facilities.

Re: Nice responses

Jul 11, 2012, 9:51 AM

Yes their wonderful facilities smack in the" middle" of wharehouse lane, strip joints, drug deal alley, and hookers for $10 bucks. Wonderful facilities!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nice responses

Jul 11, 2012, 9:59 AM [ in reply to Nice responses ]

their facilities aren't better than ours. it perplexes me why some clemson fans even have the nerve to think that. if theirs are better, how come they aren't able to go out of state and pull in elite recruits? south carolina fans have always been concerned with the facility gap between the two schools, and with clemson's new facilities being built in the next few years, i expect that concern to continue. there is nothing to worry about at all for clemson fans.

The rear-view they're used to is a cop checking their cuffs.

Jul 11, 2012, 9:33 AM

I could care less. They couldn't do anything with a football for 100 years, and they have to win like 25 years in a row to even the W-L record with us. The revenue argument is just trash...

Like a poster said brilliantly a while back-Alabama's sense of entitlement with Vandy's trophy case.

Staring in your rear-view mirror ....

...is a great way to run into a phone poll.

I'm willing to say we slipped off the road a bit, but any Capons getting comfortable should remember: items in your rear-view mirror are closer than they appear.

There's an ugly bit of check-settling coming in November....and after that, all we'll see in the rear-view mirror is feathers and entrails.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gamecocks say we are in their rear view mirror

LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's the way it was in the 80's when we thought of UGA as

Jul 11, 2012, 9:35 AM

a bigger rival than USuC. We HAVE to schedule quality OOC teams if we stay in the ACC. That helps the perception part--the quality of teams played and the desire of recruiting players who want to compete at the highest level. We have control over that. The other we don't at the moment.

The part we have to address is Clemson's math problem. No easy solution for that and they will have more money than us and that is very worrisome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we win a NC, donors will step up.

Jul 11, 2012, 9:37 AM

We can close the gap from our wallets, or at least come close.

Re: If we win a NC, donors will step up.

Jul 11, 2012, 9:45 AM

How would Clemson fare in a nc game against Alabama, LSU, or Southern Cal? I believe that a nc goes through one of these 3 teams this year and probably next.

Re: If we win a NC, donors will step up.

Jul 11, 2012, 10:01 AM

i think clemson has a real shot at the mnc in 2013. also, i think alabama will be down this year. lsu and usc should contend, with the trojans taking it all in the end.

Re: That's the way it was in the 80's when we thought of UGA as

Jul 11, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to That's the way it was in the 80's when we thought of UGA as ]

They've always had more money so what!!! the nerd down the road from me has more money than I do!!!!!

But I can still kick his A$$ anyday of the week and twice on sundays

that guy's great great grandfather said the same exact thing

Jul 11, 2012, 9:37 AM

they've always felt that way - bigger school, more money, more resources, etc. We heard this in the 1920's, 1940's, 1960's.......but it somehow never happens. I've been around long enough to hear this a half dozen times. You should have heard them in 1975 after whipping us 56-20. Or during the George Rogers era. Or when they had "The Fire Ants" and Joe Morrison. Or when they joined the SEC.

The little school half their size stuck up in the backwood hills owns them in athletics and academics. We always have and we always will. Nothing is going to change or WILL ever change. One thing you can count on from the Cluckers is that they are the world's worst at handling a little bit of success - self-implosion is inevitable.

And it eats their souls to imagine how much better their history would be if Clemson never existed. So much so that they ignore history at every convenience. How many groups of people do you know that ignore/deny history more than the Chickens?

^^^^This

Jul 11, 2012, 9:41 AM

I've been saying things like this for years. We will own them always and forever. This is just a slight dip on a long continuum of utter domination. It will come to an end.

the $$$ are making a difference in the rivalry

Jul 11, 2012, 9:40 AM

compare facilities

compare facilities?

Jul 11, 2012, 9:49 AM

have you even been in the west zone? are you oblivious to the indoor practice facility that is being built? improvements are being made to DV every year, but you insinuate the chickens have better facilities? what the heck are you on?

the $ will help UCS catch up but they are currently still

Jul 11, 2012, 10:36 AM

behind even with the recent improvements. They have a long range plan for the old farmers market and that area has become more residential/commercial than 100% industrial like it was but their stadium will always be off campus

UCS ranks 12th out of 14 SEC teams in facilities. The CLA has not been what they thought as a revenue source either.

They also have to support a lot more programs. Because of their baseball facility, they had to put some football expenditures on hold behind softball field updates because thats the kind of #### you have to deal with Title 9 and having a bunch of programs. UCS has had a bigger budget than CU for many years. The TV $ isn't going to go where they think or thought months ago when TAM and Mo were added. As stated many times on this board-- the UCS revenue #s are calculated differently and include all GC rev where CUs doesn't. You also had facilities built via capital campaigns more so than operating budgets- not sure what their mix is on that. The ACC paid out 17 mil this year, thats before the bump in TV rev going forward(13 mil in TV so the ACC must have other sources that aren't being mentioned or their is somekind of variable in the contract that people aren't accounting for) . The SEC paid out 20 mil.---no bump in TV announced yet.

People keep trying to say well the ACCs contract is backloaded--- um so what-- if we make 13 for the next 4 then 17 mil for 4, that means we'd be making 21 the last 4 years. Also have 5 year lookins to see where the cable/internet delivery world is headed and plenty of time for the ante to be upped by ACC success on the field. ACC viewership was 3rd in the country last year---ahead of B12 and Pac12 before the defections. The exposure on ESPN vs Fox is going to increase that gap. Some conferences benefited from when they negoiated contracts, and clearly the ACC should have at least done a short extension in 2010 instead of long term deal and treated 3rd tier rights differently.

The $ just isn't there to justify an exit fee and probably no full share until a year or 2 down the road. You may be talking making up 40 mil over a 10 year period--- by swtiching to b12 if invited-- don't think the $ will be there for that. I think FSU will/has come to the same conclusion.

Lot of the B12 future #s are manipulated heresay. I think I read OUs #s were only 12 mil from the conf in 2010-- how have they been able to survive? The 19 mil this year was inflated by exit fees for the departing teams and will be inflated by half shares to the new teams for the next few years.

I surprised you aren't in the middle of a mountain range.

Jul 11, 2012, 9:44 AM

You guys love to create Mountains out of Molehills.
Did you over look this line? :
"Good natured trash talk like this is what keeps the rivalry interesting"

Heck, the Garcia reign should've created several new Mount Everest's all by itself
An entire new continent should've showed up during the Lou Holtz years.

Ingram was a freak, he's gone and so is the coach that

Jul 11, 2012, 10:23 AM

helped hide that horrible offense. For whatever reason the past few times we have played them we have put forth that "Wake Forest/West Virginia like" effort we have come to see during the season at some point. It just so happens that we have pulled out that effort during the SC game for 3 straight. That has to get fixed pronto. The only thing in their rearview mirror is a string of 100+ years of comical football, and I hate to be the bearer of bad news but it's in the mirror because it's tied to the bumper and is following them around to remind them that 5th place is a winner there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Re: Ingram was a freak, he's gone and so is the coach that

Jul 11, 2012, 11:16 AM

I do think you are right that losing Ellis Johnson was a blow. It remains to be seen whether Lorenzo Ward does a good job this season.

the three-peat had to do with the...

Jul 11, 2012, 10:24 AM

firing of bowden and the recruiting fallout that followed. clemson was on its way to another top 10 class in 2009, but after bowden was fired, that class was fractured. a few highly recruited in-state guys switched to carolina (gilmore being the most notable) and that was that. they also somehow stole jeffery from the real usc on signing day and that was that. all is being rectified, trust me. our football program has the money to compete with anyone.

Re: the three-peat had to do with the...

Jul 11, 2012, 11:05 AM

finally someone gets it - great post

Depends on what you are talking about

Jul 11, 2012, 10:32 AM

if you are speaking of just football- I doubt it.

if you are talking about across the board- I think having an extra 20 million or so to spend will have an impact over a number of years.

We (South Carolina) have done very well comapred to Clemson - when you take into account all the programs in our athletic program.

He's absolutely right. They're laughing and waving at us

Jul 11, 2012, 10:36 AM

in their rear view mirror as they're driving over the cliff.

Adios pollo fundido!

Good

Jul 11, 2012, 10:47 AM

They need to be focused on what's behind them. Then, they won't see the headon coming in a couple months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

rear view mirror

Jul 11, 2012, 11:13 AM

of their tricycle. and they are about to be run over by a Mack truck

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I'm reminded of some old NASCAR humor...

Jul 11, 2012, 11:23 AM

If you were on the track, where's the one place you never wanted to see Dale Earnhart's #3 Chevrolet???

In your rearview.......

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gamecocks say we are in their rear view mirror

Jul 11, 2012, 12:10 PM

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear!

Their monetary advantage is going to get wider after they

Jul 11, 2012, 12:37 PM

finalize their TV deals and establish their SEC Network. That is a VERY huge concern, obviously.

Yeah

Jul 11, 2012, 8:33 PM

Like a t-Rex in Jurrasic Park....I know how that movie ends.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Other Sports Boards - Rivalries
add New Topic