Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecock Fans still Whining about the BCS
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Gamecock Fans still Whining about the BCS

Jan 8, 2014, 9:42 AM

They keep saying we didn't earn it and they should have went instead. They love the BCS when it works for the SEC, but cry fowl when it doesn't. Can't have it both ways, as far as I see it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gamecock Fans still Whining about the BCS

Jan 8, 2014, 9:45 AM

The term BCS gives you the answer coots as to why you never got invited.

Because
Coots
Suck

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 8, 2014, 9:46 AM

I don't know who is whining but no way I would try our season for your's. I would imagine you'd say the same thing so we both should be happy.

Both teams had great success and to have two top 10 teams from our state is pretty solid.

lank sounds like he is even happy with the SEC division

Jan 8, 2014, 11:19 AM

rules unlike the previous years.

Since that enabled them to skip the conference championship ### kicking!

Cant wait to see what the Ole Ball Sac and the Coots don't like next year!

The Capons want to have their cake and eat it too....

Jan 8, 2014, 9:49 AM

They want to thump their chest and boast about how great it is to be in the $EC and take full advantage of all the benefits that entails and then b!tch, moan, whine and complain like a bunch of pubesent debutantes experiencing their first period when it bites him in the a$$.

The rules for post-season play apply to all BCS teams equally and per those rules, which were created by the former Commissioner of the $EC, $CU got eliminmated from consideration because there were at least two other teams in the $EC that were more deserving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: The Capons want to have their cake and eat it too....

Jan 8, 2014, 10:04 AM

You are 100% correct, you met the standards set by the BCS committee and earned the Orange Bowl based on the set standards.

We knew they could only take 2 from a conference and even though we were better than BCS teams we did not qualify because there were 2 teams in our conference ranked higher and they were chosen.

We did not meet standards set by BCS therefore we did not make the BCS bowl series.

Again, would I change our season for your's just because you were in a BCS bowl and we were not, absolutley not but you probably wouldn't change your season for ours.

Great years for both, glad the 2 rule system will be done away with but we didn't meet the guidelines.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:23 AM

The two rule system will be done away with but that also doesn't mean the playoff will consist of 4 SEC teams every season. I believe that if the playoff was in place this season it would be Florida State, Auburn, Michigan State, and Alabama. That is based on quality of wins and strength of schedule, and the fact that FSU steamrolled everyone in their way until they hit Auburn. I know you're talking about future years, but many of your fans seem to think that if the playoff was in place this season South Carolina would be a shoo-in, and that's not really the case.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:29 AM

We would not have been in playoff this season. You are correct about the 4 teams. What I hope is with a 4 team system the rest of the bowls can matchup teams based on rankings, not have to choose because of conference. Maybe we get more matchups with teams that would never play each other during regular season.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:43 AM

I like your point. I'm sure you and Georgia are tired of playing Nebraska, Wisconsin, and the other midwest teams. I want some SEC and ACC teams to matchup against the west coast and stuff. You make a good point, I totally forgot about bowl tie-ins outside of the BCS.

What would a #### know

Jan 8, 2014, 10:18 AM

About the BCS. The Citrus maybe, but not the BCS. And that will never change.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What would a #### know

Jan 8, 2014, 10:20 AM

Thanks for brilliant reply. You guys earned the trip under the rules, we did not.

Better question, what would your graduating class know about beating South Carolina?

Jan 8, 2014, 10:19 AM

We didn't deserve it and yet beat a team that was 24-1 over the past two seasons. A team that doesn't deserve a BCS bid is a team that lays an egg in the big game, like we did in the 2011-2012 Orange Bowl. Let them say all they want, I don't give a crap.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:26 AM

A 24-1 team that beat how many ranked teams since 2010?

You did deserve the bid because you qualified under the standards so you were deserving.

Congrats on your win, you played very well and beat a good team. But to think that Ohio State team was some type of elite team is nuts.

You should enjoy your season, 11-2 is a great season and both programs had very good seasons.

Jan 8, 2014, 10:46 AM

Ohio State isn't the team they were in the early 2000s but they are an elite name based on the fact that they have a HUGE fanbase and can recruit from every inch in the country. The product they put on the field isn't what I would call elite either. That being said, I think Urban Meyer has a good team but playing in a poor conference puts a huge bandaid on the fact that their defense is nonexistent and they have some holes in their team.

They know that Missouri would have gone instead of them.***

Jan 8, 2014, 10:21 AM

Re: They know that Missouri would have gone instead of them.***

Jan 8, 2014, 11:21 AM

Would have in what universe? There was 0 chance for Missouri to go a BCS game over us, because Auburn and Alabama were the 2 picks from the SEC.

Durrr.

Not going to the BCS

Jan 8, 2014, 10:25 AM

Had a lot to do with their finishing in the top 5

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT is what they don't understand or

Jan 8, 2014, 11:13 AM

don't want to give up. Does anybody know right off the bat WHO finished #4 last year. Thought so!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The new system

Jan 8, 2014, 11:00 AM

The new system still matches up teams w conference tie ins. Even more so than the BCS, under the BCS rules this year the Orange did not have to take Clemson to replace FSU, sure they did bc we were a good team and it helped a lot that we were from the ACC, under the new system the orange is contractually obligated to take the 2nd highest ACC team if the ACC champ is playing in the playoff and the Orange is not hosting the playoffs. Coot fans seem to think that the new system will get them into the top 6 bowls but unless the are playing in the playoff this probably won't be the case as conference tie ins our now mandatory.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The new system

Jan 8, 2014, 11:18 AM

Dang, hate that but if that is how it is then that is how it is. Would love to see games against other teams from different part of country.

So really, other than adding two more teams to championship round the BCS bowl system is still in order?

Do they still have the rule where teams from weaker conferences have to be selected if ranked in top 14? i.e. the Northern Illinois type teams?

RE: new system

Jan 8, 2014, 12:15 PM

They got rid of the rule about the non AQ schools qualifying for the big games, which IMO is great. The new system has the 4 main bowls, orange, sugar, fiesta, rose, and they added the cotton and chic fila to be at this same level. All 6 venues take turns hosting the playoff games every year. If said bowl is not hosting a playoff game then they have conference tie ins where they pick an at large team from the contracted conference. So with 2 extra "BCS" level bowls there is a greater chance of being selected if you finish in the top 2 in the conference. The SEC will probably get 2 teams in the playoffs some years and then a third will be chosen for the cotton or sugar depending on which one is not hosting any playoff games.

here it is.

Jan 8, 2014, 12:19 PM
SEC 2.jpg(24.4 K)

Re: here it is.

Jan 8, 2014, 12:32 PM

Good zinger. Up high, Tiger. Now down low...

Jan 8, 2014, 12:30 PM

It is what it is - right? The rules were conferences were limited to sending two teams to BCS bowls. We all know this. If the system were truly without such intervention then - well, different teams would have been selected.

It is an extremely straight forward concept to comprehend. And I'm sure there are some Gamecocks who are a little upset by this, but it sure doesn't seem to be a big concern. So congratulations on Clemson's BCS bowl win.

And those vehemently blinded by the orange glare - just remember next time your upstate conservatism leads to inevitable rants regarding opposition to welfare, the Black Coaches Association, affirmative action, wealth redistribution and regulation of any kind - hypocrisy has found you.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic