Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5

Oct 28, 2019, 7:55 AM

Was watching sports center this morning and Palmer and Galloway were doing their top 5. They were saying how Clemson looks like a complete team and Galloway puts us number 1. The Palmer says we are playing as the number 1 team right now then puts us at 4. I can’t make this stuff up. Are they really that stupid?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5

Oct 28, 2019, 7:56 AM

I see nothing wrong with what they said. Also, who cares? It doesn't t matter.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:21 AM

I have nothing against what Galloway said or where either of them ranked us. It’s just that Palmer said we were playing like No. 1 in the country then puts us at 4.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:30 AM

He just means we playwd well, but he also thinks others are too. He thinks LSU has a better resume. He knows it doesnt matter at this stage.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:45 AM

They are paid to set up the SEC for success...Florida beats Auburn badly...Auburn beats Oregon first game of year and that's it...LSU barely beats Auburn and looked bad doing it but they are now great...Florida loses to LSU at BR with half the defense out! LSU is a good team but when they play a real TIGER (if they are so lucky) they may get their ### handed to them on a platter! All these paid pundits have to keep SEC in the limelite and keep the rankings as high as possible...when Georgia can't beat Chicfila at home and Vandy, Arkansas, the two ladies, Missery just can't figure it out it's time to stop crowing about the mighty SEC! Timmy the two step Teebow is just as bad as any of these other cats! Just think...they had the dumb Aggies fooled, so they left the Big 12 to join the SEC west where they can't ever win the big one...imagine the maggies in the SEC championship game representing the SEC west with Alabama, LSU & Awebunn watching!

Oct 28, 2019, 9:06 AM

They arent paid to promote the SEC. They promoted So Cal when they were good. The promotwd FSU and Miami when they were good. They are just ralking football. The SEC is the most completw conference. Who cares though?

Oct 28, 2019, 9:16 AM

Ok, coot.

lmao....you got him good

Oct 28, 2019, 9:53 AM

you aren't around here much are you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5 ]

You don’t have a clue if you think they don’t promote the SEC over everybody else........utterly nonsense......Go Tigers!!!!!

Oct 28, 2019, 4:39 PM

I think there's a difference in thinking the SEC has more top 10 teams, or more good teams in general compared to other conferences(whether right or wrong in a particular year) and "being paid to promote the SEC."

I don't buy there being company meetings or emails being sent out telling the employees that they have to put SEC teams higher or else. If that was the case then why would Galloway be allowed to have Clemson as his #1 team? Even Paul Finebaum has had Ohio State as his #1 team over the past few weeks, and they had us #1 in their power rankings all the way up until the UNC game.

Each conference has teams that have won in the past and continue to get the benefit of the doubt often times, and who often find themselves overrated as a result.

It's USC in the PAC 10.

It's Oklahoma and Texas in the Big 12.

It's Ohio State, Michigan, and Penn State in the Big 10.

It's FSU, Miami, Clemson, and VT in the ACC.

The SEC just has more of those teams than the others with Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, and even Texas A&M to a lesser extent. Tennessee would be included on this list if they hadn't been so terrible for several years now.

What I mean by this is these teams carry the name weight, so people are more likely to assume they're going to be good, and will be quicker to assume they actually are good at the first sign of a decent win. This is the same reason began last season ranked #19 despite coming off of a 6-6 season the year before, and even had a few votes in the preseason this year after coming off of a 5-7 year last season. It's the same reason Miami started this season just a few spots outside of the top 25 for no real reason at all.

I personally don't believe it's bias on purpose like many here seem to think. I think it's the same sort of thing where Michael Jordan would drive to the basket and get a lot of calls from the refs. I don't think it was a product of "let's help Mike out by getting him some free throws" but rather a "there may have been contact there, and well Jordan missed the shot and he's the best player ever so he must have been fouled there."

Oct 28, 2019, 8:07 AM

Remember they work for eSECpn.Enough said.

Well Palmer still gets his suits from the boys dept. ...

Oct 28, 2019, 8:09 AM

That should tell you enough right there

Oct 28, 2019, 8:41 AM

Hate to break it to folks here, but Clemson doesn't deserve to be #1. This is a very good team. So is LSU. So is Bama. So is Ohio State. At some point, when you are trying to differentiate teams, the schedule matters. Hate it all you want. Its out of our control. Put you have to give those other teams credit for quality wins.

Oct 28, 2019, 8:46 AM

What quality wins? You mean the wins against name rich teams who also havnt won any quality games. Just because, for example, a team is named texas, doesnt mean its a real quality win if that team hasnt really beat anyone worth a crap.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:02 AM

And whom worth a crap has Clemson beaten?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 28, 2019, 1:43 PM

Clemson Has beaten the first 8 teams they have played! That"s who they have beat that's worth a crap!
I think Louisville is team that would beat at least half the teams in the country. By that I mean of the 130 in the top division.
I think North Carolina is a pretty good team, They did beat SC who beat Georgia and every one thinks Georgia is a National Contender.
Texas A&M they are in the top 40 teams in the country.
FSU has a ton of talent and will end up in a bowl game.
I am not saying Clemson's schedule is brutal but it's not as bad as the media would have you think.

I mean really, Ole Miss, Miss St, Arkansas, Tennessee, South Carolina, Vanderbilt, Kentucky, Missouri those teams are really striking fear in the hearts of teams everywhere.

Auburn, Fla, Georgia, Texas A&M , LSU and Alabama. They are pretty good i guess but they don't play anybody other than each other!
So forget polls lets have all the conference winners from every conference in the top division have a playoff. add 2 at large if you must. Take as much beauty contest out of it as is possible. If you want in, Win your conference!

Oct 28, 2019, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5 ]

The problem is there are only 2 quality teams in the SEC again this year (Bama and LSU) but 10 were ranked to begin the season........Georgia was very overrated and the rest of them are average at best. So the deck was stacked from the start and gives false impression that when these SEC teams beat each other it was a quality win against a Top 25 team when they should not have been ranked to start with. ESPN is the main player behind this false narrative year after year and those pollsters ranking the teams believe all this nonsense ESPN clowns are spouting out at them come voting time. Hence the term fake sports news applies to ESPN and idiots apply to these pollsters who are not smart enough to see through all their crap......Go Tigers!!!!

Oct 28, 2019, 4:50 PM

The SEC had 6 teams ranked in the preseason, not 10. Also, what do you consider to be a decent team? You can argue Georgia, Florida, and Auburn as being overrated if you don't think they're top 5-10 teams, but not even decent? Do you not think any of those 3 teams deserve to be in the top 25?

It's also not as if they're all ranked simply by starting off in the top 25 and beating up on each other. Auburn beat Oregon on a neutral field, and Oregon is now ranked 7th. Georgia did beat ND, and yes ND was overrated, but that's still a decent win at least.

On the other hand, if it's as simple as starting the year off ranked in order to stay there, then why isn't Syracuse ranked now? They started the season at #22, and it wasn't bias that took them out of the top 25, it was a 43 point loss to a average at best Maryland team.

UVA was ranked, but losing to the same ND team that Georgia beat, and the same Miami team that Florida beat in addition to losing to Louisville(who also lost to that same ND team that Georgia beat) is the reason they aren't ranked currently.

Seriously, what ACC team is unranked at the moment that has an argument for deserving to be ranked?

5 teams at .500 or better to bamas 3***

Oct 28, 2019, 7:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5 ]

Oct 28, 2019, 9:27 AM [ in reply to Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5 ]

I guarantee if Clemson had beaten Texas, that drum would have been beaten loadly over here.

I agree, beating Texas isn't a huge accomplishment. But it's not a blemish either. LSU has also beaten Auburn and Florida. And as much as it may be painful for you to admit, those wins are better than Florida State and Syracuse.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Galloway/ Jesse Palmer top 5 ]

Bama's schedule is worse than Clemson's. Don't hate to break that to you. They deserve it more than bama in many metrics.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:39 AM

Yup, Clemson is slightly ahead of Bama in the saragin rankings for SOS. I am well aware of that. And I agree, that Clemson is better than Bama too. I am also aware that their SOS will vault passed us in November as well.

So take a deep breath. The AP poll counts for nothing. What Jessie Palmer says counts for nothing. What Finebaum says counts for nothing. All this angst you and so many feel over being number 4 is just a waste of energy. Clemson is right where it needs to be. To suggest we should be ranked higher is frankly foolish. The resume isn't there. What we did last year, doesn't count. What matters is what happens with the CFB Polls in December. A 1 loss conference champion has NEVER been left out of the playoff. So who cares what the AP says on 28 Oct?

If youre honest w/ yourself and/or remove the orange glasses

Oct 28, 2019, 9:12 AM

you'd see that "RIGHT NOW" Clemson is not the #1 team in the country. Can we be? absolutely, but as of now it's:

#1/2. LSU or Ohio State (LSU has the resume and has looked good, while OSU has demolished EVERYBODY w/ a lesser resume

#3/4. Bama or Clemson (Neither have played anybody worth a flip, I might give the edge to bama only b/c they've blown out 7 opponents and we've blown out 6, but they are very similar teams IMO)

Re: If youre honest w/ yourself and/or remove the orange glasses

Oct 28, 2019, 10:22 AM

You May want to look at the stats. Clemson had beaten 6 teams by more that 30 points and only one of those was an FCS team. Whereas Bama has only beaten 4 teams by more than 30 points two of which were FCS schools. By the Sagarin ranking Bama's strength of schedule is 61. Whereas ours is 54. So by Sagarin our schedule has been harder yet we've blown more team out than Bama has. Heck the SEC is so bad that TAMU has played 3 top 11 teams and still ranks 23. So, what's your definition of blown out? because anything less than 30 points is not a blowout. Heck if not for our 3rd and 4th string giving TAMU a late TD (less than 5 seconds left) we win that by 21. Our only close game was UNC which looks to be the one of the best team in the SEClEast (HAHA).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

neither Clemson or Bama has played an FCS team yet this

Oct 28, 2019, 1:27 PM

year-- Clemson plays 1 this coming week and Bama plays 1 in a couple weeks - those are the only FCS games on either schedule. Clemson does play 2 P5 teams non-conf where as Bama only plays 1.

Oct 28, 2019, 9:35 AM

Dream scenario, LSU or Alabama gets killed in their matchup. No close game moral SEC victory. Winner of that match then goes and gets beat solidly by a UGA team that got beat at home by 3-5 USofC QB then went scoreless for the majority of the game at home vs Kentucky. Boom, no 2-SEC team convo. UGA would be looking at vying for a 4th seed and being compared to the Oklahomas and Oregons of the world. And trust me, I do not think this would happen. I think UGA is overrated garbage with #### poor overrated coaching but it sure would be fun!

Oct 28, 2019, 10:29 AM

UGA's offense is so inept that they will probably lose two of the four to Florida, Missouri, TAMU, or Auburn. Leaving them with 3 losses. I do believe they will beat Florida because I still think Florida is trash and they will probably win the SEClEast with 2 losses. So pretty much the winner of LSU and Bama this weekend will be the SECwest champion playing a trash Florida team. I don't see a Florida team beating either of those but I can hope they do.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well there's always going to be two main schools of thought

Oct 28, 2019, 9:48 AM

for ranking teams.

1) Resume
2) How good the team looks

We just aren't going to have a good resume full of nice wins this year because those opportunities just do not exist on our schedule. A&M is probably the best team on our schedule and that's unfortunate because it seems like literally everyone else is playing them this year too.

But, despite not having a good resume, if we continue to play well down the stretch and dominate teams like we have the past 3 weeks you are going to hear more and more people saying that Clemson looks as good as anyone in the country. And that will probably be followed by the caveat of "... but they just don't have the resume to justify a higher ranking."

Oct 28, 2019, 9:51 AM

You do realize that Palmer does not even know how to pick out clothes that actually fit him - right? Maybe he should ask his mom to help him with that problem, and maybe in his football analysis.

Maybe Jesse's pants were too tight and he couldn't think ***

Oct 28, 2019, 2:04 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic