Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gage Cervenka, Chad Smith and Denzel Johnson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Gage Cervenka, Chad Smith and Denzel Johnson

Apr 27, 2020, 11:36 AM

Any words on undrafted free agent signings?
Thanks

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gage Cervenka, Chad Smith and Denzel Johnson

Apr 27, 2020, 11:44 AM

I haven't seen/heard/read anything yet for those guys. Or Diondre Overton either. But if I'm not mistaken, didn't Adam Humphries get passed over in the draft and in free agency? He had to attend mini-camp and get put on the practice team for few months before finally getting his shot at the active roster?

Diondre Overton, also

Apr 27, 2020, 11:48 AM

Sorry!

Apr 27, 2020, 12:33 PM

Cervenka is shocking to me. He should get an invite on pure strength alone.

Apr 27, 2020, 2:27 PM

Gentlemen! Gentlemen! Gentlemen! Lets be reasonable here!

Apr 27, 2020, 2:47 PM

The NY Giants just casually came to terms with a OL from Dartmouth, a WR from a D-II school in Canada, and a LB from Rhode Island.

Meanwhile, our guys are sitting at home with 20+ rings & two national championships. It’ll never make sense to me.

I don't think team success is really going to help the case

Apr 27, 2020, 2:56 PM

of somebody that was a career reserve. Did we win two titles because of Denzel Johnson or because of Watson, Lawrence, Wilkins, Lawrence, Ferrell, Williams, Renfrow, Higgins, Ross, etc?

It makes more sense as an argument for a guy like Ben Boulware who played a key role in championship, but two NFL teams gave him a look and both released him within about a week.

Re: I don't think team success is really going to help the case

Apr 27, 2020, 11:28 PM

Then where’s your battle cry for Chad Smith? 583 snaps in 2019, more assists than Skalski, and if you look at productivity per snap, arguably the best linebacker on the team last year.

Apr 28, 2020, 1:54 PM

Chad Smith didn’t even play in the national championship game. Simmons and Skalski did. That’s all you need to know.

Apr 28, 2020, 10:24 PM

Chad Smith posted 12 tackles (0.5 for loss, led the team) en route to earning the Defensive MVP award in the Fiesta Bowl in 2019 against Ohio State. Remember that one? The one where we were trailing 16-0? He also finished the season with 583 snaps in 2019, 6th most on the team.

Without Chad Smith, there was no championship game for us. And he did play in the game itself, just sparingly because of the unique matchups that LSU presented.

Hater.

Apr 28, 2020, 11:27 PM

You aren’t making an argument for why he should be in the NFL. You’re just making an emotional appeal towards a former Clemson player. Just face the facts, not all of our starters can play at the next level. Ben Boulware, Kendall Joseph, Tre Lamar, JD and Judah Davis couldn’t make it, why are you shocked that Chad Smith can’t either? He was their backup up until last year. It takes a different level of athleticism to play LB in today’s NFL. It’s 2020. Football has changed.

Apr 29, 2020, 2:30 PM

Call me a homer all you want... but in the case of the NY Giants, yes, I would gladly sign as an UDFA, or minimally invite to a rookie minicamp, ANY Clemson Tiger with 583 snaps, two degrees, 6+ championship rings, 2 national championships, 5 years under Dabo Swinney, & a defensive MVP award from a Fiesta Bowl over a linebacker from Temple, with a slower 40 time, who’s played in a measly 35 games in 4 years, has never played in a bowl game, seen competition harder than Georgia Tech, or won any award of distinction.

What kind of Clemson fan are you anyway?

I don't think our slow, stout LBers with limited

Apr 28, 2020, 2:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think team success is really going to help the case ]

athleticism are that appealing to the NFL in 2020. A lot of these guys have been coverage liabilities at the college level, never mind the NFL.

Re: I don't think our slow, stout LBers with limited

Apr 28, 2020, 10:31 PM

Honestly, no one was more of a liability in coverage for us than Tanner Muse. And he just signed a $4.1 million LB contract with a $833K signing bonus.

Apr 28, 2020, 11:49 PM

Agreed, that’s one that still has me scratching my head. But, congrats to him!

Apr 28, 2020, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think our slow, stout LBers with limited ]

Muse played safety. His speed, size and tackling ability translates to LB in the NFL. His athleticism allowed him to stretch the field at the collegiate level, but he was always a beast at the run. He challenged the pass very well, but wasn’t elite therein.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 28, 2020, 1:06 AM

https://www.newsbreak.com/news/0Os7mYuR/clemson-football-nfl-dreams-are-not-over-for-those-undrafted

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2020, 9:31 PM

Really amazed Cervenka hasn’t been given a shot. He’s better than most of the guards on my team- the Dolphins.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he’s a strong run blocker

Apr 30, 2020, 12:27 AM

I think he’s the most likely to land on a team out of this group. I loved watching him

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic