Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
GaTech needs to fire Paul Johnson today! It’s time to move
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

GaTech needs to fire Paul Johnson today! It’s time to move

Nov 25, 2017, 3:19 PM

Into the 21st century. If I was their AD I’d go hire Charlie Strong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: GaTech needs to fire Paul Johnson today! It’s time to move

Nov 25, 2017, 3:21 PM

Honestly, I hope they keep him forever. We basically own Atlanta recruiting with Jawja....having a third player would only hurt us. Not to mention that Venables owns PJ.......I don't see GT beating us again as long as Dabo/BV run things.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Nov 25, 2017, 3:29 PM

I agree with everything you said. I just don’t understand how they put up with this style of play for so long. They have zero chance to beat a team with a good front 7.

Nov 25, 2017, 3:28 PM

Who would want that job? You inherit a high school roster with a program and fan base that really don’t care that much.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2017, 3:37 PM

GaTech is a sleeping gaint if they hire the right coach. They’ve won 4 national titles the last in 1990. Metro Atlanta is loaded with talent that has zero ties to UGA. Their roster isn’t totally devoid of talent they just need a QB and Metro Atlanta has produced at least five , 5 star QB’s the last 4 years.

This is why I want them to keep ol Pauly!

Nov 25, 2017, 3:57 PM

I don't mind the competition for Clemson, but good lawd we have enough strong to pontentially strong rivals to keep us in the hunt year in and year out.Don't need GT to get their #### together as the ACC gets stronger.

Nov 25, 2017, 4:20 PM [ in reply to Re: GaTech needs to fire Paul Johnson today! It’s time to move ]

They are no sleeping giant my friend....

1) Their very own academic restrictions put them at huge disadvantage. If they had the reputation of a Stanford, a big time school you can recruit to, it'd be one thing.

2) They have terrible facilities compared to all other major D1 programs within a 5 hour radius.

3) They have a very small committed fan base to athletics.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2017, 5:11 PM [ in reply to Re: GaTech needs to fire Paul Johnson today! It’s time to move ]

Ga Tech is a has been. They are not asleep, they are deceased.

Nov 25, 2017, 3:29 PM

That would be a smart move. The new AD for Georgia Tech is a really smart guy. I think he was a former ESPN exec or something like that

Yeah, I'm sure that means he's a real smart guy!***

Nov 25, 2017, 4:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Paul Johnson is like the arrogant nutty genius who is

Nov 25, 2017, 3:39 PM

obsessed with all of the wrong things and cannot and will not focus on the things he needs to focus on. Nobody does what he does better, and granted, it is a pain in the ### for opposing D-coordinators, but that's about the extent of it. It cannot and will not win in today's world of college football, but he seems perfectly content to tinker with his "system" while he is mired in irrelevance.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

It was a stupid hire that will haunt DRad til his dying day.

Nov 25, 2017, 3:46 PM

They need to run a wide open offense and make it fun. Just a dumb, dumb dumb hire.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was a stupid hire that will haunt DRad til his dying day.

Nov 25, 2017, 4:22 PM

Actually, it was a hot hire at the time. Navy had just beat ND at ND and a lot of people were really big on Paul at that point. The bad move was his recent extension, as it it was becoming obvious that top tier teams in the conference were dominating Tech, while the rest of the ACC was making really good hires, which has GT headed toward the bottom of the league.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but wait - how can you fire a genius?***

Nov 25, 2017, 3:48 PM

Nov 25, 2017, 5:14 PM

Part of Johnson's success is due to the fact most teams seldom or never play teams who play his system. They are not prepared for that system and don't devote enough practice time to establish a proper defense. It took awhile but Venables now has Johnson's number. Georgia plays them every year so they have learned how to take the buzz out of the bees.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2017, 4:27 PM

Wow, talk about a short memory. Paul Johnson has beaten Dabo Swinney FIVE TIMES. How many other coaches can say that? He has won 2 straight games in Athens and 3 of 4 games against Virginia Tech, so the talk about teams catching up to his offense is a joke. He has been to 3 ACC title games and 2 Orange Bowls. Know how many Orange Bowls Georgia Tech has been to since the 1950s? Three - and two of them were under Johnson. Georgia Tech has only won 10 or more games 4 times since the 1950s, and 2 of them were under Paul Johnson. You know, the guy who has been ACC Coach of the Year 3 times.

I grew up a diehard GT fan but ended up going to Clemson and becoming a diehard Clemson fan as well, so I think I have a unique perspective on this. Georgia Tech is not Clemson and lacks many of the advantages that Clemson has that has allowed us to become a superpower. Most Ga. kids grow up wanting to play for UGA, not GT. And then when GT recruits them and they hear they have to take calculus, regardless of major, they naturally choose the easier path to the NFL. I'm proud of what Clemson has become, but that same recipe would absolutely not work at Georgia Tech, where it is much harder to be successful.

Lastly, to put it bluntly, it doesn't make a whole lot of sense for Clemson fans to be talking crap about the coach who has beaten Dabo Swinney more times than any other coach in the nation, despite having a massive talent disadvantage.

Dec 1, 2017, 4:44 PM

Look, your points are valid; however, to opine about how many times PJ has beaten Dabo is more than a bit misguided. That 2014 game was an ACL victory...it had zilch to do with PJ. Thus, you'll have to go back further to account for the other four, which were Dabo's 'Diaper Years'.

If GaTech is committed to PJ, then GaTech, is not committed to football. It's really that simple.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2017, 4:52 PM

Every other team got to play Dabo during the "Diaper Years" too. None of them beat him as much as Paul Johnson, and that is an indisputable fact.

Only 3 teams in the ACC have been more successful in the last 10 years than Georgia Tech:
Clemson
Florida State
Virginia Tech

And that is not up for debate. He's got more ACCCG appearances, more ACCCG wins, more Orange Bowl appearances, and more 10 win seasons than anyone not on that list.

Dec 1, 2017, 4:46 PM

Nothing wrong with the scheme aside from the fact that it's thoroughly out of favor. Biggest problem, IMHO, is his inability to convince a good, true, dual-threat guy to run that option.

Give Paul Johnson a Kelly Bryant and he'd skin the ACC with him. PJ's got everybody playing 9 in the box and leaving his outside guys on islands, and if he could get a guy who wasn't a 40% or 50% thrower like the last couple he's had in there, but was more of a high-60-per cent guy, and make it a true quadruple option as opposed to the triple option he's running now, I think it's a whole different animal. I actually wonder if it might even work in the NFL.

The problem is he can't get a quality dual-threat in there, so without the threat of the pass, a sufficiently disciplined, well-schooled front seven can indeed bury what he can do right now.

I don't really know how you change that at this juncture if you're GT or Paul Johnson, either.

Dec 1, 2017, 4:56 PM

Even with a glorified RB at QB, Georgia Tech has had easily the 2nd best offense in the ACC since 2008. Paul Johnson absolutely knows what he is doing on that side of the ball. The problem is GT has had a series of terrible DC's, and little to no NFL talent.

#### GA Tech

Dec 1, 2017, 5:08 PM

I hope they keep that dinosaur forever.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic