Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Future of football
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Future of football

Jul 21, 2018, 10:16 AM

With fewer boys playing high school football how long before it is gone? Most are concerned with the safety. I wouldn’t take anything for my playing experience and the shoulder surgery from the game but today’s kids are a different breed. Thoughts?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Future of football

Jul 21, 2018, 10:38 AM

Just my uninformed humble opinion, but with the pool of atheletes shrinking, I would guess the smaller colleges would take the biggest hit. Since we are top division, we would be the last to go, and as there is a decrease in all levels of atheletes, since it's a safety issue, we would most likely see a decrease in talent and competition.

There will always be kids that want to play in the NFL, but we just might have a lesser product.

I think the potential big money to be made in the NFL.......

Jul 21, 2018, 10:44 AM

will continue to be a draw. But it sure looks like with kid's leagues now the emphasis now is soccer and not football, especially because of safety.

I agree that football as we know it today is in for some real changes in the coming years.

Jul 21, 2018, 10:46 AM

In truth as long as a HS is not hit with a major lawsuit from injury or drug in to the CTE issue in court it will be around. If you really look at the players coming to college ball I think you would find most are from the lower economic spectrum and the lure to play in the NFL earning big bucks will keep them playing, along with the chance to get an education(wink,wink). Clemson does a really good job of graduating the kids but not a lot do in fact. Better equipment at PEE WEE /Little League would go a long way to easing parents fear of their kid getting injured. Football was not an option for my kid due to where we lived, it was not available to play so he focused on baseball but that even had limited options after the Little League World Series last game was completed his 12 year old season.

Jul 21, 2018, 11:00 AM

Soccer was really big where we lived but my kid did not like it at all. Cannot blame him though as it seemed his cod sack was a soccer ball attracting target.

Jul 21, 2018, 10:59 AM

I think all of the bad publicity is damaging , but I have no doubt that football will continue on as the greatest team sport in the world . There is just no telling how long the CTI crowd will push the regulatory stuff , or how far … but as another mentioned above the NFL dollars are so extravagant there will always be hustling to attain that level .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 21, 2018, 11:09 AM

I think one day the helmet will be some sort of a small cushioned bubble where you just kind of bounce off each other a little bit. Some inventor will get rich off of this.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2018, 11:22 AM

Fedora says hello!

Too late

Jul 21, 2018, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Future of football ]

Someone beat you to it.

https://youtu.be/k7tHkeVR1Ms

Jul 21, 2018, 6:29 PM

You bring up a good question. The brevity of my response does not indicate the amount of thought I have given it, but here's what I think:

If the scientist develop an "active" blood test for CTE the game could be outlawed at the school level (middle through college) in as soon as 5-10 years after developing the test.

If the scientist have to rely on autopsies to diagnose former players, I think the game will survive for the foreseeable future (50-70 years). The feedback loup is just to long.

I think the NFL will be around until people get tired of it. However, if the blood test reveals positive test for children playing at schools, I think you will see government regulation.

It seems the answer to this question will be how fast can the scientist create an active test.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic