Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Future of Clemson Men's Basketball? Change or Transition?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Future of Clemson Men's Basketball? Change or Transition?

Mar 6, 2019, 4:49 PM

In another post series I discussed my perspective on Coach Brownell. As we conclude another disappointing season overall I am torn as to what direction the program needs to take to finally get over the inconsistent nature of Tiger BB in Brownell's tenure and have some sustained success. I am not getting any younger and therefore want a coach and staff who "gets it" where fans desire wins in Chapel Hill, an ACC Tournament championship and perhaps a Final Four appearance. Brownell doesn't seem to care about any of the above! I've seen all the latest information on facilities, program funding and a lack of fan support by comparison, but I have a question. Honestly what do Tiger fans want out of the program and how do those of us who care make it frankly known that our present and past performances are not now acceptable?

Is "hit or miss" and a once in awhile program acceptable? I think not, but who (what type of coach) do we need to climb over the mountain of past failure? How does Clemson locate and then inspire someone to stay long enough to see results and thus sustain the program? After ten seasons is Coach Brownell still the right person? My answer is no, however I will give him credit for laying a more firm foundation for what might be attainable with the right person following him. Do we have someone in house? Is there an experienced coach wanting a challenge? A Mid-major at this juncture doesn't seem to fit the need, but who else is going to be interested? Using Coach Butler as an example is there someone familiar with Clemson tradition, culture and community uniqueness who willingly would tackle the task involved? She immediately saw a really interesting opportunity and despite the past two decades of failure jumped in knowing our past success.

I say move in a new direction while allowing Coach Brownell to either enter into administration or seek another comparable job. Drad needs to hear from supporters of the program and come to some immediate conclusions. Otherwise next year we look to be merely rebuilding and I for one am tired of that path to nowhere. Input welcomed.

Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Future of Clemson Men's Basketball? Change or Transition?

Mar 6, 2019, 5:01 PM

This^^^

Great post. I think DRad is listening and watching. If Brad flops at the end and not make the NCAAT, I think IF he can attract a big coach’s agent who might not be coaching now. Ex: Alford or Mata. He would be very proactive. Don’t tell me that he wouldn’t do that. Strong good ADs will always be proactive and talk to agents not the coaches behind the scenes even during the current season.

Saying that, I think what ever happens he waits till next year when Brad’s buyout is a cool $500k or so. Next year looks dicy. 15 or 16 wins looks like the ceiling and that might be too over optimistic.

Mar 6, 2019, 6:34 PM

In responding to your well thought out post, I want to try to give you a well thought out reply, but I also have to be realistic, so anything short of suggesting that we change the team uniforms to Tarhole Blue or Dookie Blue in hopes of confusing the referee's into thinking we are the prima donna's of the League, well that might be the best we can hope for.
But seriously, change is due, but it's not going to be easy or a quick fix.
You asked what we, as fans want out of the program. What I want, in all honesty, is a team that can compete with all the teams in the Conference not named UNCheat or Dookie Blue Bloods.
There is no reason, year in and year out that this program can't compete with FSU, N.C.State,Syracuse,Pittsburg,even Virginia.
The other thing that gripes me most is that we can't seem to get the quality of players needed to compete. How often do we get a big man like Elijah Thomas or a good power forward? Wasn't it just a week or so ago Brad was making excuses how we couldn't man up with FSU. Are they any more of a basketball power than we are. Yet they seem to have better talent, man for man.
And how come, game in and game out, does it seem Clemson has one of their patented 5+ minute scoring droughts,or forget that a game is 40 minutes, not 39 minutes. I blame that on coaching, not the players.
Maybe Brad is "not" suited for this part of the country. After all, he was born in the North and spent most of his coaching tenure in the North.
But who do you go after? I don't have a clue, and it's not up to me to contact Drad,but it needs to be addressed(especially if we fail to make the "Dance"), but any change is going to require at least a 3 or 4-year commitment from both the Athletic Department, the Administration, and last but not least a fan base who is willing to be patient while the new Head Coach tries to build a winning tradition in basketball.

Mar 6, 2019, 6:43 PM

The Tigers are already competing. All we have heard all week Is how many close games they have lost. I can promise you one thing. Coach Brownell isn’t going anywhere, let me repeat that for the slow learners... coach Brownell isn’t going anywhere ... so get over it, Go Tigers.

Mar 6, 2019, 7:02 PM

Yeah. You are probably right after this season, but why have we let his buyout dwindle down without increasing it more after a new contract? It's only a petty $500k next season.

There will be a time where even being competitive but continuous mediocre records and not many NCAATs will result in looking for a change.

Mar 6, 2019, 7:16 PM

"how do those of us who care make it frankly known that our present and past performances are not now acceptable?" Most of our past performances should have never been acceptable. The problem was most people only saw and cared about football. Well if only 10% of those would go to basketball you would have a fairly full LJ. So the job isnt insurmountable. But people have to want it. I see nothing but meek acceptance from folks that profess to care about Clemson. And if you make a change after this year you likely lose a good point guard and a couple other decent guys. Our abysmal record in close games is why were here. If we had won half of the 3pt or less games so far this year (4) we'd be 2 games better in the standings and not talking about this

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2019, 7:46 PM

I'm going to comment as someone who makes it to about 9-10 home games a year. I think it's time for a change and I don't think my expectations are too high. I am not asking for a championship even an ACC championship. What I want is a team who will make the tournament every other year, a team that can finish within the top 5 of the ACC on a somewhat consistent basis. And a team that is able to beat Syracuse and their zone which is something that gives us fits every year. Go Tigers beat Notre Dame!

Agree on most of that. However I do believe that most fans

Mar 6, 2019, 8:51 PM

Want to see the program finally break through the glass ceiling. We're the only charter member of the conference that hasn't won the ACC tournament or made the Final 4. And the less said about the Chapel Hill course the better. I for one would like to see us attain the milestones that have eluded MBB in my happen in my lifetime (just like I got to see football win the national title & like I still hope to see baseball win the CWS). I've never met the guy, but Brownell seems like a good guy, & knows his x's & o's. & as we've found out in recent months and years w/ the FBI investigation & the UNC case, he's having to run a program expected to be clean & produce wins while everyone else has had dirt on their hands. However, the tenure speaks for itself - 2 NCAAT appearances and 2 NIT appearance in 8+ seasons. In the close games or the games that could shape the program we just can't seem to find a way to win. Or snag a big time recruit in the recruiting trail. I think Brownell has taken the program as far as he can. I do think if we miss the NCAAT this year, that next year would be when the change will be made for the reasons that many others have listed so far (the buyout, less experience & potential dropoff). Can only hope that if & when the change is made that the administration is committed to finding a coach that can push the MBB program to the next echelon.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I’m having trouble understanding how we should expect

Mar 6, 2019, 8:47 PM

to consistently be in the top 4-5 teams in the ACC, despite the fact that we aren’t anywhere close to being in the top 4-5 when it comes to overall basketball spending, coaches salaries, facilities, or fan attendance.

Don’t get me wrong, I am all for devoting such resources to basketball and believe we are capable of being a basketball power, but based on our history and current level of investment, I don’t feel that it is reasonable to expect that.

I will say that we get a lot of value for our investment at this point though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I’m having trouble understanding how we should expect

Mar 6, 2019, 9:00 PM

Judge Keller, Nobody is expecting instant success. I’m nearly sixty-six and frankly have lived through Locke to Brownell and everyone in between. When fans go to Prowl & Growl we need to speak up, demand answers from DRad and tell Brownell losing games multiple times by less than four points is no longer acceptable if he expects to keep his job. I’ve largely supported CBB because of the staff turnover, the LJC rebuild and loss of key players, but the time has come to “put up or shut up” otherwise move elsewhere.

Since you seem to be “in the know” please tell us fans why we can’t collectively point to other programs where football is king, yet basketball thrives. Florida being a really good example. Coach Brownell needs to understand the growing frustration and be held accountable.

DRad needs to be called into account as well if spending is preventing us from competing. Just my viewpoints.

Go Tigers!

TU to those thoughtful posts. I’m on a phone

Mar 6, 2019, 8:48 PM

In a dimly lit bar with diminishing eye sight but the sentiments are spot on!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TU to those thoughtful posts. I’m on a phone

Mar 6, 2019, 8:48 PM

In a dimly lit bar with diminishing eye sight but the sentiments are spot on!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic