Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Future Playoff System and ACC Strength
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 763

Future Playoff System and ACC Strength

Jan 1, 2014, 12:32 PM

I don't think many of you get it. When fans harp about the pitiful weakness of the ACC, other fans confidently assert that conference strength doesn't matter and that an undefeated Clemson will be included in the four-team playoff system. However, these particular fans don't seem to consider other scenarios that can happen in the future.

Although very unlikely, what if there were five undefeated teams at the end of the regular season? Let's say those schools consist of one each from the SEC, B1G 10, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC. If the strength of the ACC remains (or is perceived as) the absolute worst of the five traditional conferences, the undefeated ACC team will probably be watching the playoffs from home. No?

Let's consider a more likely scenario. What if there are two undefeated teams and three one-loss teams at the end of a season? The two undefeated schools hail from the B1G 10 and Big 12. The three one-loss squads come from the SEC, Pac 12, and ACC. Which of the three one-loss teams do you think will be left out if the ACC's horrible reputation continues?

What if there are only five one-loss teams by season's end, each from the five major conferences? Which conference representative is likely to be left outside in the cold? I think most of us can intuit the answer.

What if, at the end of the regular season, there are one undefeated B1G 10 team and four one-loss teams? The single-loss schools represent the SEC, Big 12, Pac 12, and ACC. If the ACC continues to be a laughingstock, which of these squads will likely be excluded from the top four spots?

Yes, during most years, an undefeated ACC school will definitely make the four-team playoff, especially since an undefeated season for any school is so unlikely. However, there will be seasons with no undefeated major schools (like in 2007) and seasons with other scenarios. What then?

Is it wise to bank all your hope on the small likelihood of your school being undefeated?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what can we do about it other than win?***

Jan 1, 2014, 12:36 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

send wine and cheese to Virginia

Jan 1, 2014, 12:39 PM

apparently that helps them somehow...

maybe that's whine...not sure

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Though it has no effect on the outcome of a game,...

Jan 1, 2014, 12:57 PM [ in reply to what can we do about it other than win?*** ]

we can at least root for other ACC teams in their bowl games. I'm trying to change our fan base's mentality. Too many of us have a proverbial mindset that thinks that Clemson is a singular entity totally independent of other teams. If Clemson belongs to a laughingstock of a conference, it will eventually hurt us in the grander picture of the four-team playoff.

Heck. Though Dabo recruits well, our ACC membership may be hurting us also a bit in recruiting (Adams, Lawson, Hargreaves, Nkemdiche, Clowney, Gurley, Marshall, Malone, so forth). You know coaches from non-ACC schools are putting the thought in recruits heads that the ACC is a joke. Further, in other cases, some recruits have the desire to play exclusively in the SEC. Have you ever heard a top football recruit say, "I've always wanted to play for an ACC team?" Dabo recruits well in spite of the ACC.

Of course, people will bring up the stellar recruiting of FSU and Miami in counterarguments. Isn't that akin to praising the people of Alberta, Canada or Texas, USA for their top-notch energy industries? Those places advantageously rest on major natural fuel deposits. In the like manner, FSU and Miami are located in arguably the nation's best hotbed of high school football talent. Plus, said teams have national football name brands and reputations that far exceed Clemson's. Quite simply, the Seminoles and Canes should recruit well.

Correction: proverbial = provincial

Jan 1, 2014, 1:02 PM

n/m

well, "what if" you lose a game

Jan 1, 2014, 12:46 PM

####### stupid isn't it?

Losing a game is very unlikely? Right?

Jan 1, 2014, 1:01 PM

n/m

Re: Future Playoff System and ACC Strength

Jan 1, 2014, 12:46 PM

This is one of the best analogies of what the four team
playoff will be like. I would like an eight team playoff.

Re: Future Playoff System and ACC Strength

Jan 1, 2014, 12:47 PM

I agree 100%. Perception matters a lot. Right now that ACC is perceived as a week conference. Clemson needs out of this basketball conference.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post.***

Jan 1, 2014, 12:52 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't the ACC send a record 11 teams to bowl games?

Jan 1, 2014, 12:56 PM

After FSU beats Auburn the ACC will be 4-6 vs the SEC in 2013. UGA/GT, Wake/Vandy, and Duke/A&M were all close games that went either way.

You could make a very good argument that the ACC is the second best conference of 2013.

It's not easy to predict how the committee will

Jan 1, 2014, 12:57 PM

use the rules plus their 'discretion' in making choices. To expect a perfect season is a great thing for us. But for it to be a condition for ever making the playoffs is pretty brutal on we the fans. And the ACC strength is even a bigger factor to me when some of the 4 teams have 1 loss. A 1 loss SEC or PAC team is almost a sure lock for a slot over an ACC team. FSU might be the exception depending on the loss. A loss to a highly ranked ACC foe (Clemson or Miami? Who else??) might not exclude them.

We get a shot at seeing how the committee thinks next year.

That's exactly right. It's silly to try and speculate how

Jan 1, 2014, 1:10 PM

the one loss teams will look. Just because team X is in the SEC and Clemson is in the ACC, that doesn't really mean a darn thing. It completely depends on who the loss is to and how it compares to team X.

Replies: 12
| visibility 763
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic