Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Playing Bama is like a Tyson fight
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Playing Bama is like a Tyson fight

Dec 31, 2018, 9:39 AM

They try and intimidate and overwhelm you at the first whistle and beat the will out of the other team and this works - obviously - but if you can weather the storm and still be in the game once that whirlwind dissipates you can play the game. They tried to intimidate Watson and crew two years ago and for awhile it was working but DW4 has a resolve like very few and steadied the team and they came on to win. Our offense did not survive the onslaught last year even though the defense played an amazing game. Oklahoma was not ready for it, and by the time they gained their balance they were out of reach.

I doubt we are intimidated going in, but you can't totally prepare for the intensity of how Bama starts games and how they come out to pummel you into submission - hopefully we settle in quickly or have something in our plan to offset their uber aggressive nature in the 1st quarter.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Water the Point Tree

Agree 100%. They will headhunt vs. our offense.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:43 AM

Dirty hits to be expected. We have to withstand the onslaught. The good thing is, OU did well once they settled down but they blew it early and Riley's calls didn't help. We're better than OU and Dabo is not Riley.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree 100%. They will headhunt vs. our offense.

Dec 31, 2018, 10:28 AM

Thank goodness that Dabo is not Riley. Anyone could see that getting the FG kicker accolades (Kicking FGs down 21 to a Tau Bama) was not going to be enough to mount a comeback win.

How many times have anyone seen the kicking team recover 2 onside kicks? I can't recall seeing such, personally. I get he was hoping for a Bama mistake or his defense to do something that they don't have in their DNA, otherwise. None of those 3 was likely to happen.

My cards would have been a RPO with Murray on at least the 4th and 2ish, with either a rub route or snuck a TE out in some capacity. Especially with the "All-World" Oline OU is said to have. I believe their most inexperienced starter has 22 - 25 starts.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Furman recoved 2 onside kicks in Death Valley in 2007

Dec 31, 2018, 11:10 AM

I was there and it was pathetic.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Furman recoved 2 onside kicks in Death Valley in 2007

Dec 31, 2018, 11:20 AM

Wow, I was working 60+ hour work weeks back then and did not realize that had happened.

Re: Furman recoved 2 onside kicks in Death Valley in 2007

Dec 31, 2018, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Furman recoved 2 onside kicks in Death Valley in 2007 ]

TU for having to witness, btw

Re: Playing Bama is like a Tyson fight

Dec 31, 2018, 9:43 AM

We’re gonna find out what Trevor and Travis are made of. Bama’s gonna hit them. Hard. How they respond will tell a lot toward whether we win this game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 31, 2018, 11:51 AM

Agreed; and I hope to the life of me those officials enforce the safety rules as written/interpreted to a reasonable measure. I don't want to see his health being risked multiple times over so Bama can have a chance to get in his head. Physical within the rules is fair, but seeing them head hunt at will with no repercussions should not be tolerated. It should be a point of emphases from the first whistle. Not asking for special treatment, just knowing his age versus a pack if full grown head hunters has me worried.

Dec 31, 2018, 9:45 AM

The deer antler spray starts to wear off around halftime

Great point. And I think our leaders like CW42 and others

Dec 31, 2018, 9:48 AM

can help lead the younger ones along in regard to the initial onslaught Bama will bring. No fear.

Go Tigers!!

Dec 31, 2018, 9:52 AM

How Clemson starts and survives what you all have described will be the key. Alabama will be the most physical team the Tigers have faced. But they have seen that treatment three times before.

The OL has to have their best game of the year. TL and ETN must be able to make plays and move the chains early. The number of three and outs will be something to keep an eye on. Even during the game when Clemson won the National Championship, Clemson was down early but moved the ball. This kept the D off the field, slowed AL’s early momentum and eventually allowed the Tigers to start hitting some bigger plays. That early movement of the chains will help Clemson stay in control of the game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This may not be the big game for ETN

Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 AM

If bama is going to be bringing the house, all that pressure, we really need a back in the game who can chip defenders enough to give TL time. Just a little chip can make the difference between getting the ball cleanly to #13 or #3 across the middle. I suspect that will be the best way to neutralize that attack early. This may be the game where we see #28 go into Feast Mode and bust a big one if bama gets too crazy with the all out blitz. Feaster or Choice. They are both the better blockers.

Otherwise I agree with the premise of this thread. Weather the storm, be patient and prepared to play four quarters against these guys, and don't give up if we get down a score or two. They are very good. They will get theirs. We've proven that we have the depth and talent to play a sixty minute game, and this year we have a QB capable of making them pay downfield if they get sloppy. We didn't have that last year, and bama was very... opportunistic.

Good point. Do you see that coaches being willing to make

Dec 31, 2018, 10:54 AM

that move? I’m not sure they will start that way. But might be the correct immediate adjustment.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whoever the RB is, we have to run it some early

Dec 31, 2018, 11:04 AM

Even if they stuff the run early on. Feaster and Choice are both very capable of housing it if bama (or anyone else) makes a mistake. So is Amari Rodgers. And we've seen what Hunter Refrow can do to bama if he gets loose.

Whatever we do, I think our best bet is running straight at them. Forget the jet sweeps and the bubble screens. They have great team speed. No one can consistently beat them to the edge, not even us. Neutralize that rush a few times, get a few first downs (and hopefully touchdowns). Then look downfield for #5 and #8. Maybe by the 4th quarter when their defense is gassed we give them a healthy dose of ETN and Lynn J. I'd love to see their azzes sucking buttermilk by the middle of the 4th quarter and break some breakaway runs on them, just like they've done to people all year long in the mighty $EC.

I like your thinking on this and agree

Dec 31, 2018, 11:46 AM [ in reply to This may not be the big game for ETN ]

But I'd go with Choice. He's built the best to handle the blocks and run up the middle against a defense like Bama has. Etienne should still get his carries - just more Choice than usual.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

accurate take, they come out all hopped up on deer antler

Dec 31, 2018, 10:11 AM

Spray

Plus take out their DLs knees early on ...

Dec 3, 2021, 4:09 PM

you have to play dirty against Bama

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really hope we go out and hit them hard a few times early.

Dec 31, 2018, 10:16 AM

Get up a few scores, but as we have seen with Bama before too, they can weather that and bounce back in the 2nd half. It’s impossible to put them away early.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I really hope we go out and hit them hard a few times early.

Dec 31, 2018, 10:26 AM

Clemson will miss Minka.

Dec 31, 2018, 10:26 AM

Like when Tyson bit Holyfield's ear

I fully expect to see at least one Alabama player

Dec 31, 2018, 10:36 AM

And probably more commit a flagrant dirty hit that gets them kicked out of the game and they will be smiling and celebrating all the way as they are ushered out of the stadium.

I expect lots of dirty hits with no consequences. they get

Dec 31, 2018, 11:09 AM

Away with murder. I hope the refs don't let them pass interfere on every passing play.

I fully expect to see at least one Alabama player

Dec 31, 2018, 10:36 AM

And probably more commit a flagrant dirty hit that gets them kicked out of the game and they will be smiling and celebrating all the way as they are ushered out of the stadium.

Re: I fully expect to see at least one Alabama player

Dec 31, 2018, 10:40 AM

I agree except the part about them getting flagged and kicked out. How many dirty hits on DW4 were uncalled? Gonna be brutal and dirty.

I just don’t think refs will call it. They’re afraid of A and Saban and will continue to carry their water.

Well they’ll call it but leave the guy in

Dec 31, 2018, 10:46 AM

Case in point-

https://twitter.com/danWorthington/status/818630019002011648?s=20

Easy - because Bama did it and Saban will yell at me***

Dec 31, 2018, 11:22 AM

Water the Point Tree

Dec 31, 2018, 10:57 AM

Anybody trying to bite off Trevor's ears won't live to tell about it. Grandma vigilantes don't like anyone hurting our boy.

Dec 31, 2018, 11:16 AM

Except Clemson does not fear stepping on the field with Bama unlike pre Douglas opponents for Tyson. That is the huge difference in my opinion. Not sure about dirty hits from Bama, they do hit you hard though. Looking forward to Monday because it seems our boys are on a mission this year.

Survive the onslaught and

Dec 31, 2018, 11:17 AM

Their defense will be spent and ineffective in the later stages.

Dec 31, 2018, 11:33 AM

For all you UFC fans, go watch the Nunes vs Cyborg fight from Saturday night. Same story. You have punch a bully right in the mouth a few times and then boom....TKO.

Hold on a minute.

Dec 31, 2018, 12:00 PM

Our offense plays against our defense all year long but we can't imagine the intensity of Bama's defense? Our defense plays against our offense all year and we can't imagine the intensity of Bama's offense? I'm guessing your insight was because of the most recent Orange Bowl game. Just a guess here and I'm not trying to be a b-hole or anything but...

The comparison between Oklahoma's offense having come from playing against teams that outscore each other to win games and their own defense being what it is should never be compared to Clemson's position of playing against AnM, Pitt, Cuse and a handful of other pretty fair defenses just isn't what I saw. The Big 12 is notorious for being without a legitimate defense.

It's typical for any team to take a series or two to warm up to the game speed but not scoring before the opponent scores 28? That's a total lack of composure. I attribute that to their young head coach and the stage. That's what they are talking about when they say Clemson and Bama have been there before.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our D better not be trying to crush our Skill guys at

Dec 31, 2018, 2:00 PM

practice - the athletes are the same but the intent is not the same - Bama comes out to crush everyone until you quit - lay down and run out the clock.

Water the Point Tree

Our D better not be trying to crush our Skill guys at

Dec 31, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Hold on a minute. ]

practice - the athletes are the same but the intent is not the same - Bama comes out to crush everyone until you quit - lay down and run out the clock.

Water the Point Tree

Dec 31, 2018, 12:01 PM

Tua holds the ball for a long time in the runners gut on the play action passes. Our Lb's and safeties have to really be disciplined and watch him throwing the short slant over the middle after the play fake. We are going to have to put some pressure on Tua with just 4 rushers like we did on ND after the 1st quarter. An occasional blitz will have to be effective.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic