Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Furman Baseball is being cut
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Furman Baseball is being cut

May 18, 2020, 3:49 PM

https://twitter.com/KendallRogers/status/1262468264707399681

https://twitter.com/tyxanders/status/1262473117240381440

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Furman Baseball is being cut

May 18, 2020, 4:00 PM

Here's hoping they keep womens lacrosse and mens soccer. They are 2 of America's pastimes

Oh no! I have a nephew on that team

May 18, 2020, 4:01 PM

I have had a nephew on that team for the last 8 seasons (3 brothers; youngest is a sophomore)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 4:03 PM

If this is true, this is as tragic as any other non-mortal development from Covid.

Furman baseball has frequently been a leader in the SoCon and amongst the many quality baseball programs in SC.

Tremendous rivalry games vs our Tigers even though it was very one-sided in terms of W-L. I remember sitting in the stands one night at DK when they led our #1-ranked team 8-7 going to B7 before we put at least 10 on the board in our frame. Their cleanup guy went 4-4 with at least 5 RBIs and just missed a grand slam.

Diamond Paladins will be missed.

May 18, 2020, 4:53 PM

we once had a no hit shut out going against them with 2 out in bottom of 9th before losing in extra innings .

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow...just wow !!!***

May 18, 2020, 4:33 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Wow...just wow !!!***

May 18, 2020, 7:34 PM

Furman AD is on SportsTalk right now.

He says there is zero chance of restarting the baseball program in the next five years.

The competitive quality of baseball in SC makes their program a lower priority.

Baseball was projected to lose $23M over the next 5 years. New AD had begun a 5-year plan to become fiscally solvent, but Covid-19 forced the decision. Lack of male students made the male programs susceptible. 60-65% of students are female. Their school income is based almost exclusively on tuition. Men's Lacrosse was begun to recruit students from the northeast, but had not begun to balance out yet. So it's gone.

Good move by Furman is that all athletic scholarships in the discontinued sports will be honored up through graduation. Of course, none are full scholarships. Students will be allowed to transfer if they want.

Also, Furman managed to avoid employee layoffs (other than the coaches of those 2 sports). AD, President and VPs took voluntary pay cuts. Furman still funding 18 sports.

So far, no change in football schedule. Furman is scheduled to play at Tennessee in week #3 and receive a "very strong 6-figure payout".

Great summary...

May 18, 2020, 8:46 PM

I haven’t seen their 5 year ‘projections’ but the Paladin baseball program is one of the few baseball programs in the country over the last 10 years to continually make a profit. I think they are ranked around 120 out of 900+ programs.

The school President’s remarks and reasons to eliminate baseball directly contradict the team’s history of annual profits. I’ve been around Furman my whole life, have tons of family that are alums and active financial supporters including myself. We have also contributed our time to academic and athletic committees, programs and fundraising.

I think the current board has made a HUGE mistake cutting the baseball. It will have a negative impact on the school and the community.

I’ve seen several other sports that are FAR more deserving to be eliminated than the baseball program. Sad day for Furman and the Greenville youth who attend games, go to camps in the summer and learned to love the game of baseball.

Go Tigers!!!

I find it hard to believe...

May 19, 2020, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Wow...just wow !!!*** ]

that the Furman baseball is losing $4.6 million annually

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 18, 2020, 4:40 PM

Love their baseball stadium. They played some P-5 programs downtown too including Clemson.

Something will have to be done to counter this!! I'm not

May 18, 2020, 4:44 PM

affiliated with anything Furman but this can't be allowed to stand.

I read a similar article about East Carolina...

May 18, 2020, 4:57 PM

They're seriously considering eliminating as many as three of their varsity sports.

If there is no football in the Fall, ECU will experience a revenue shortfall in the $12 million range.

Re: I read a similar article about East Carolina...

May 18, 2020, 5:41 PM

I believe the American Conference payout from their TV contract is only like 7m per school. Losing 12m would sting.

Re: I read a similar article about East Carolina...

May 18, 2020, 5:48 PM [ in reply to I read a similar article about East Carolina... ]

BigCUFan® said:

They're seriously considering eliminating as many as three of their varsity sports.

If there is no football in the Fall, ECU will experience a revenue shortfall in the $12 million range.

You know, people keep using that phrase "if there is no football". But the inverse is not necessarily true, that if they have football at ECU they will recover the shortfall. It still requires a normal level of attendance by the Pirate football faithful.

So if there IS football, the athletic revenue could fall anywhere on the dial, from Football Losing Money, Too to Making Up a $12 Million Shortfall.

"If there is no football" simply means "our only cash cow is dead." Right?

No...they probably wouldn't cover the shortfall...

May 18, 2020, 6:21 PM

but it also probably wouldn't increase.

Their deficit is currently $5 million. They expect that to increase by another $7 million without football.

Re: Something will have to be done to counter this!! I'm not

May 18, 2020, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Something will have to be done to counter this!! I'm not ]

Easy solution. Just donate the $12 million they will lose on baseball, contingent on them keeping baseball. I am glad someone is willing to make a stand! Thank you!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hoping Taylor Harbin lands on his feet

May 18, 2020, 5:54 PM

Great kid.

if there is football in the fall with no fans

May 18, 2020, 7:36 PM

the football teams at these smaller schools will see the same fate.

Re: if there is football in the fall with no fans

May 19, 2020, 10:41 AM

On the flip side some of the smaller schools will not drop sports. Many of those schools use sports to increase enrollment by giving partial scholarships and billing for the balance of the higher tuition. That is one of reasons schools the likes of newberry , erskine and limestone field so many teams ( including JV). It is all about the $,

May 18, 2020, 7:39 PM

They tried to cut out golf a number of years ago, but a bunch of folks around Greenville would not let it happen ..... I guess through financial support. I might guess that may be another program on the blocks.

May 18, 2020, 9:26 PM

New AD, Jason Donnelly (?), says men's golf and cross country are nationally ranked programs that are drawing students, so that makes them more desirable to keep.

Apparently the baseball team is a lower net draw for tuition by the matrix he was citing. Lots of good baseball teams in the state for cheaper tuition.

May 18, 2020, 7:42 PM

Eh, nothing a government bail out won't take care of. Without that you will see not just sports programs but entire universities go #### up.

May 18, 2020, 9:15 PM

Regret to learn that news. They've always had a very competitive program. A HS classmate played there and the field and/or stadium is named after a fellow alum who graduated a year after us. Will be interested to read the comments on the fan forum, gopaladins.com.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

May 18, 2020, 9:45 PM

I’m sure it’s been said, but there is a very viable chance SCAR scraps football for women’s basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Unbelievable and sad.

May 18, 2020, 9:47 PM

They once had a good competitive program.

they can add it back at their own discretion though.

May 19, 2020, 11:03 AM

its not like its gone forever unless they just decide that for themselves.

May 19, 2020, 12:18 PM

https://twitter.com/ClemsonUniforms/status/1262773128956129293

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic