Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 85
| visibility 51

Front Page Story: WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority

Jul 9, 2013, 3:55 PM

WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority

In part one of a three part series, Clemson AD Dan Radakovich tells TigerNet he will meet with the BOT later this month to discuss a possible new basketball arena and improvements to Death Valley that have put WestZone Phase 3 on hold for now. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But We need the Oculus!***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:00 PM

Re: But We need the Oculus!***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:09 PM

OC-U-LUS!

OC-U-LUS!

OC-U-LUS!

nm

We will lose recruits to UVa because they have a Pergola...

Jul 9, 2013, 4:29 PM

...but we have no Oculus. When will this administration get serious about catching up in the pretentious architectural details arms race?

Jul 9, 2013, 5:06 PM [ in reply to But We need the Oculus!*** ]

not if takes ONE PARKING SPOT from Lot #5!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 9, 2013, 5:06 PM [ in reply to But We need the Oculus!*** ]

not if takes ONE PARKING SPOT from Lot #5!!!

you can say that again***

Jul 9, 2013, 7:22 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oculus = Ridiculous!

Jul 9, 2013, 8:20 PM [ in reply to But We need the Oculus!*** ]

I think it looks ridiculous and serves no practical purpose. Put the money to better use!

Of course, it is the "Your Name End-Zone Complex" so if you're donating your money to get your name on the Oculus, then ... okay, I suppose.

NO OCULUS??? FIRE D-RAD!!!***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

THIS IS AN OUTRAGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:03 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I don't think Clemson needs a new arena

Jul 9, 2013, 4:06 PM

Littlejohn was just renovated not too long ago and unless they can make way more money in ticket sales, club seats, suites and attract more concerts and shows to the arena, I can't why to do it when there are other priorities for the school.

The "recent" renovations were merely band-aids on a broken

Jul 9, 2013, 4:18 PM

limb...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Practice court, new roof, improved seating,

Jul 9, 2013, 5:09 PM

wider concourse. What do you want at this point for an arena for a small market college that already has the Bi-LO Center up the road?

Replacing a faulty roof hardly counts as a renovation... The

Jul 9, 2013, 5:26 PM

seating is worse now and they made the concourse wider so they could run track on it...They have a practice court they share...Whoo freaking hoo...

The practice court...

Jul 9, 2013, 6:57 PM [ in reply to Practice court, new roof, improved seating, ]

wasn't large enough when it was built. A team can't run 2 full-court drills at one time like it is. Plus, there's only one practice gym and when the arena is in use, it's very difficult to schedule practice for 2 teams. The 2003 work looked good at the time because it was so much better than what was there before, but it really didn't solve the problem.

Correct...the recent(10 years ago) renovations were merely

Jul 9, 2013, 7:10 PM

perfume on a pig...

Re: I don't think Clemson needs a new arena

Jul 9, 2013, 4:28 PM [ in reply to I don't think Clemson needs a new arena ]

You just stated the reasons why a new arena is preferable to Littlejohn.

However, would they make that additional money

Jul 9, 2013, 5:08 PM

to make up for the costs or can they just make renovations to Littlejohn to add a club area or other features. It is not like Clemson is at capacity and demand for basketball tickets is great. Is there demand for higher priced club seats at Littlejohn or would fans complain that tickets are overpriced? With Bi-Lo Center up the road, I don't see Clemson getting many more shows or events than they are already getting.

I think the point is, if you're not going to give BB the

Jul 9, 2013, 5:23 PM

resources to be successful, why even bother fielding a team... We have operated BB under the "Frank Howard" philosophy long enough...I am over 40 and I have never seen BB get more than lip service...

Re: However, would they make that additional money

Jul 9, 2013, 7:25 PM [ in reply to However, would they make that additional money ]

Greater attendance would be the direct result of better athletes which are related to those areas of Littlejohn that we don't see. Practice facilities, players lounge, meeting rooms, etc. are the issue at hand. Although, the seating areas of Littlejohn itself are outdated as are those other areas frequented by the paying public.

The real question is

Jul 10, 2013, 8:43 PM [ in reply to I don't think Clemson needs a new arena ]

If we invest in a new area will we be more competitive? We're still going up against UNC, Duke, NC State, and now Syracuse, Notre Dame, Pitt, and Louisville. Will this investment.move us up to 8th or better in the league?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

David: I think the one thing missing here is what will

Jul 9, 2013, 4:11 PM

become of the Clemson Heritage Museum? Bama, Auburn, and UGA to name just a few, have such facilities with trophies and memorabilia. When Bowden was here he wanted to give folks not here on a football Saturday in the fall a taste of the hill and our traditions. I think Dabo has said this also in the past.

Perhaps they are thinking of a separate building on campus to house this. Littejohn? It may be too soon to know but can you ask around and see what is being said about this element that was supposed to be a part of WestZone Phase 3? Thanks.

Message was edited by: AThomas®

Message was edited by: AThomas®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: David: I think the one thing missing here is what will

Jul 9, 2013, 4:15 PM

I will do that....I don't think it is a case of this will never happen, but more that other things have taken priority, such as the premium seating. I am sure we will know more by the end of the month

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This just in:

Jul 9, 2013, 4:12 PM

All Clemson 2014 recruits have all just lost one star due to the loss of Oculus.

D.Watson now considering schools with Oculi.

Re: This just in:

Jul 9, 2013, 4:15 PM

In all seriousness continuing to add on to Death Valley should take priority over lj imo.

Maybe we should just play basketball in Death Valley.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:19 PM

Think of it... We could be the Wimbledon of NCCA basketball!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe we should just play basketball in Death Valley.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:22 PM

It would be unique. Syracuse kind does it with the Carrier Dome. We would just be better because we would do it outdoors!

I hear Auburn has 2 Oculi and a Chic-fil-A !!! ******

Jul 9, 2013, 4:33 PM [ in reply to This just in: ]

Re: I hear Auburn has 2 Oculi and a Chic-fil-A !!! ******

Jul 9, 2013, 5:04 PM

Well pin a rose on their nose, and stick a coot feather up their butt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That would make 'em holla !!! *********

Jul 9, 2013, 5:36 PM

Re: Front Page Story: WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority

Jul 9, 2013, 4:16 PM

the YOUR NAME ENDZONE COMPLEX was going to be a game changer!

PLEASE...

Jul 9, 2013, 4:18 PM

just renovate LittleJohn.

The upper deck isn't needed.

The oculus entrance should have already been finished.

Football is KING and should be treated as such!

Didn't like the hire when it was made and still don't.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:19 PM

He did nothing at GT, but leave their athletic department broke. Built them a new arena that they never come close to filling. Death Valley was finally close to being completed, but he is hell bent on building us a new basketball arena and has placed that as a higher priority. It will be a big mistake if we go in debt for a new basketball arena.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: Didn't like the hire when it was made and still don't.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:21 PM

Agreed. FB is king. BB will always play second fiddle at Clemson.

Of course football will always be king. It doesn't follow

Jul 9, 2013, 5:09 PM

that we can't have a strong, winning basketball program too. We can, if the resources and commitment are there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 9, 2013, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Didn't like the hire when it was made and still don't. ]

The revenue stream from the physical aspects of Memorial Stadium has reached its peak. Beyond raising ticket and concession prices, additional revenue of any significance can not be made from Memorial Stadium.
The same can not be said of the Clemson basketball program and its arena. Two of the last three men's basketball coaches encountered the limitations of Littlejohn in recruiting and subsequently departed. A new basketball arena has the potential to remedy this limitation and bring in significant new revenues to the Athletic department.

Jul 9, 2013, 5:11 PM

One 16 oz. well warmed bottle water for $16.99. Plain Hot Dogs for $19.99. Tickets on sale in all of TD row Z only for $100.00.

Agree.***

Jul 9, 2013, 6:46 PM [ in reply to Didn't like the hire when it was made and still don't. ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is set on building a new Arena at all costs, even though

Jul 9, 2013, 7:26 PM [ in reply to Didn't like the hire when it was made and still don't. ]

it is being tee'd up as a decision process right now that is what he wants (to pus HIS stamp on the school).

I guarantee it. That is a RESUME builder.

I'm all for a new arena, but finish this freakin west endzone project already. We have our foot on the pedal right now for football, don't take it off like we did in the 90s.

But Look At The Picture!!!

Jul 9, 2013, 4:20 PM

If they could get it to look like the picture, it would be pretty sweet. I would like it to go on record that I will commit to play for Clemson...pending the construction of an occulus. With two occuli, I will also commit to play basketball.

Re: Front Page Story: WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority

Jul 9, 2013, 4:21 PM

Football comes first at Clemson. Finish the west endzone, then worry about LJ.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:26 PM

You mean like basketball?. Ha, ha , ha. lmao

Jul 9, 2013, 4:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: WestZone Phase 3 put on hold as other facilities take priority ]

Big mistake. We aren't filling LJ, and we won't fill a larger arena. IF season ticket sales are any indication, we need to be feeding the cash cow, football.

No one said it would be a larger arena...

Jul 9, 2013, 7:36 PM

if anything, it will have fewer seats than Littlejohn. It will be a more modern and practical arena than the current one.

#1 priority should be finishing the WestZone***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:24 PM

Re: #1 priority should be finishing the WestZone***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:26 PM

Can we call board members and tell them to get phase 3 done first?

Absolutely

Jul 9, 2013, 4:39 PM

Dan Radakovich - 864-656-1935 - DANRAD1@clemson.edu

David H. Wilkins - 864-250-2231

Clemson Board of Trustees:
http://www.clemson.edu/administration/bot/board.html

I am no longer continent.***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Jul 9, 2013, 4:29 PM

It sounded like the Other Facilities included things in the Westzone and memorial stadium not associated with Phase 3.

I for one will be glad if they can take the pressure off that walk way under the westzone club seats.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

When you have a plan

Jul 9, 2013, 4:31 PM

you need to follow the plan. The Board of Trustees should not have their mind changed by their recent hire.

Was DRad brought in specifically to build a new basketball arena (ie his gt experience)? Did BB threaten to leave?

Is the President leaving and this project being placed on the back burner just bad timing?

You know what usually happens when something is on hold. Especially construction projects.

I don't sound very optimistic. I'm disappointed.

We need better basketball facilities BAD.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:36 PM

We're among the worst in the ACC; we have nothing shiny to catch the eyes of recruits. It's without question a step we need to take before the basketball program starts heading up consistently.

I'm certainly glad several of you aren't our AD...

Jul 9, 2013, 4:39 PM

you can't even master reading comprehension.

NOWHERE in the article did it talk about a new arena being LARGER. It would likely be an intimate arena, similar to the one UVA built that we could sell out, since, as many of you continue to put it, football is king.

It also mentioned several upgrades to DV, and just that some things were coming at a later date. Read between the lines people, think a little bit. We're selling tickets like crazy, and another good year plus a championship season in football could boost donations tremendously...making many projects much easier to finance.

Again...if we did fire D-Rad like some of you buffoons are saying, please consider this my humble petition that you DON'T CONSIDER APPLYING since foresight is something many of you obviously have none of.

Also...

Jul 9, 2013, 4:45 PM

please build the oculus immediately. lol

+1***

Jul 9, 2013, 4:49 PM [ in reply to I'm certainly glad several of you aren't our AD... ]

Re: I'm certainly glad several of you aren't our AD...

Jul 9, 2013, 4:54 PM [ in reply to I'm certainly glad several of you aren't our AD... ]

UVA doubled its capacity from U-Hall when they built the John Paul Jones Arena, which seats about 14,500. it also helps when you get a $35m check from an alumnus. from what i've heard, Clemson will try to keep the capacity close to Littlejohn but improve the premium seats and other amenities.

a new arena will be expensive and the basketball program won't come close to sustaining it. but if Clemson wants to compete in the new basketball-centric ACC, it will need to step up. unfortunately, it will come at the expense of football because football will have to subsidize the bond payments.

Re: I'm certainly glad several of you aren't our AD...

Jul 9, 2013, 5:47 PM

I didn't say it would have the same number of seats that UVA had. I said it would be intimate, a.k.a. the seating feels like it sits on top of the floor and makes the arena loud and crazy and fans feel closer to the action.

I think 14,500 is way to high actually. LJ seats just over 10K, and I think an 8,500ish seat arena, would be ideal for us, that way, as you mentioned, we could sustain it.

You're also right on point, as are a few posters, that new modern facilities, just as we had the need in football, are absolutely necessary to compete and that we certainly will get those funds from football.

No you were wrong on UVA, just admit it. Totally wrong.

Jul 9, 2013, 7:30 PM

It was a horrible example of what you were trying to get across.

As for reading comprehension, YOU need to learn to read between the lines. He is indirectly telling a rabid football fan base that other priorities are coming, so get ready.

Re: No you were wrong on UVA, just admit it. Totally wrong.

Jul 9, 2013, 7:38 PM

I won't admit I was wrong. JPJ Arena stacked the upper section seats with an overhang, making the seating seem like it was on top of the court.

Unlike LJC, which is more like the Rose Bowl of bball arenas. It was not a horrible example, and I won't concede that point in the slightest. This was actually discussed at length in articles, and even on this board during basketball season.

As for our rabid football fanbase, I think I covered that in expecting a stellar season, where project timelines could be pushed up based on the results. DV is one of the top 5 football stadiums in the country man...by just about anyone's measure, Clemson fan or otherwise. CALM DOWN...just because we're not building a glass cylinder doesn't mean we aren't gonna spank UGA's ###...and so on.

Jul 9, 2013, 4:46 PM

This is really going t-off Coach Dabo. BOT has already approved it, and I think the new AD is walk away with egg on his face.

I would rather have more men's restrooms than more West

Jul 9, 2013, 4:55 PM

Zone and a new coliseum!

I would pee my pants if it got me an oculus.***

Jul 9, 2013, 5:29 PM

Don't take your foot off the gas until Clemson Football wins

Jul 9, 2013, 5:16 PM

it ALL!

Re: Don't take your foot off the gas until Clemson Football wins

Jul 9, 2013, 7:28 PM

You need to talk to Dabo about that because he is responsible for those portions of the program holding us back.

Put the students in the same place they are in Cameron.

Jul 9, 2013, 5:34 PM

Students should always be in the camera shot. This would be huge for perception of our atmosphere. Season ticket holders are NEVER filling up the seats and it looks awful.

Re: Put the students in the same place they are in Cameron.

Jul 9, 2013, 6:33 PM

Or at least come up with a system whereby the missing ticket holders are giving their seats to somebody who cares enough to showup. It's Not Rocket Science.

I mean ###!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Put the students in the same place they are in Cameron.

Jul 9, 2013, 6:39 PM [ in reply to Put the students in the same place they are in Cameron. ]

I agree with that. Duke has them on the floor and they are relentless. Their cheers are coordinated and endless. We have the same ole' same ole'. Many times, our students hardly show up, so we will have to put a competing team on the floor, but the students need to be on the floor with big doners right behind them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like that idea, if the students show up***

Jul 9, 2013, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Put the students in the same place they are in Cameron. ]

I feel like we've been waiting for the Oculus FOREVER.***

Jul 9, 2013, 5:56 PM

Photobucket

NO OCULUS???? UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Jul 9, 2013, 7:27 PM

No more $$$ from me...

;)

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Where is the money coming from???

Jul 9, 2013, 7:41 PM

If this money was raised for the West Endzone, in say a West End zone fundraiser, then I would be upset if I donated and they decided to use it for basketball. Sounds to omuch like our government.

Jul 9, 2013, 7:41 PM

If this money was raised for the West Endzone, in say a West End zone fundraiser, then I would be upset if I donated and they decided to use it for basketball. Sounds to omuch like our government.

Jul 9, 2013, 7:43 PM

Good...

Jul 9, 2013, 7:43 PM

it's time the other sports got some attention. The work that is currently being done at Riggs Field should have been finished YEARS ago; largely because of the public safety issue, which is significant. It's been nearly 4 years since the plans for Doug Kingsmore were first drawn and it's still a year from ground breaking. That being said, I'm all in favor of doing it right the first time, unlike Littlejohn 10 years ago, than having to come back in 5 years and do something else. Unless, of course, the plans are made and it's done in stages. Build some of these other facilities and bring in more revenue and take some of the pressure off of football. Of course, I think some of you WANT to keep the other sports begging at football's table. You don't really want the other sports to succeed so you can keep your football-only focus. Clemson has already spent 50 million dollars on facilities for football, more than on all other sports' facilities COMBINED in the last 7 or 8 years (since ground was broken on the first phase of the West Endzone).

Jul 9, 2013, 8:14 PM

Figure it out Radakovich. This is a football school so football should take priority no matter what. Basketball is not bringing in money to Clemson. Instead of trying to make your mark on Clemson by building a new basketball arena, do what is right for Clemson and what the people involved with this school care about. That is football and finishing the WestZone. Dabo has got this program going in the right direction. Don't be the one to hold it back.

we can't win in Little John...

Jul 9, 2013, 8:21 PM

Why the hell do we need a new one? Can't fill it. You build it and they still will not come

Uhm, maybe cuz we can't win in LJ?

Jul 9, 2013, 8:30 PM

New home could be different, maybe?

What's an "occulus"?

Jul 9, 2013, 10:05 PM

sounds like some sort of growth on the skin or on your privates or something .....

Re: What's an "occulus"?

Jul 9, 2013, 11:07 PM

Jack of all Trades and Master of None. Let Build one Dynasty at a Time. Football first, program on the rise, Baseball 2nd, program on the same path as football with young athletes playing and competing at young age. At this time will be veterans. Basketball 3rd, program will have a good vision of it direction and future. All focus, decisions and funds can point toward the basketball program.

Message was edited by: oldschtiger70®

Jul 10, 2013, 12:28 AM

uuh i cant agree here.. football brings cash and school recognition. basketball needs better facilities yes but putting memorial stadium on hold bad idea.

Finish!!!!

Jul 10, 2013, 12:59 PM

Finish the dang Westzone. Ask Dabo what else do you need? When Dabo says nothing then and only then invest in other/new sports. Do not allow football to lose momentum. Too hard to get it back!!!!

WestZone Phase 3

Jul 10, 2013, 5:05 PM

My wife and I are both grads; I served in Iraq and Afghanistan...going to a game in a serious financial issue with our family. Instead of making the rich fans experience better, how about letting the real fans go to games without having to save for a year. Maybe that's a narrow minded, Upstate view

Top deck corner ticket should be a LOT cheaper

Jul 10, 2013, 8:38 PM

No excuse for those corners to be empty. Plenty of good Clemson people would love to be able to afford the cost of taking their family to the games and would gladly sit in the nose bleed corners...for a reasonable price.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this is why..

Jul 10, 2013, 6:53 PM

Kyle Young should've been named AD... This 'outsider' is screwing up everything. Football will be then,now,and always the cash cow sport in clemson.... complete the west end zone project then.. and only then! You talk littlejohn,and adding other varsity sports...

Finish the WestZone Phase 3 first!***

Jul 10, 2013, 8:24 PM

Screw basketball

Jul 10, 2013, 8:31 PM

I hate to say it, but we are never going tone competitive in basketball anyway. Put the money into football. We should Never sacrifice one amenity in football for the sake of another spot. Without football, there ARE NO OTHER SPORTS at Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Duke plays in a dump. Please do not spend one more

Jul 10, 2013, 8:44 PM

dollar on basketball. You might as well set the money on fire.

Replies: 85
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic