Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 57
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice

Oct 3, 2012, 7:46 PM

Swinney says defense now tackling in practice

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said Wednesday that he made the change in Clemson’s practice routine last week. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice

Oct 3, 2012, 7:54 PM

I have said it before that this team should be one that gets better as the year goes on, but starting next year and into the future, you will see a Tiger team that rivals the best of the best, and you should see it for a long time. We are on the cusp of something very special. Mark it down!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ what he said^^^^

Oct 3, 2012, 7:59 PM

agree wholeheartedly!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ^^^ what he said^^^^

Oct 4, 2012, 3:22 AM

just to throw my two cents in here, we have not had the quality depth until this past two recruiting classes to risk injury in practice.

I am not a fan of thudding, but we are getting to the point where we have enough guys that can play that we can risk a couple injuries between Monday and Friday.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been saying all summer that 2013 is going to be a

Oct 3, 2012, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice ]

special year. 2012 I was hoping for the best. 10 wins will be a very successful year.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

We may as well toughen up now on ourselves.

Oct 3, 2012, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice ]

I get the feeling that this past FSU game may become a marker in a wicked "record since" statistic that's headed this program's way as we head forward.

Has Shakin' the Southland claimed credit for this yet?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Swinney says defense now tackling in practice***

Oct 3, 2012, 7:58 PM

Did they tackle in practice during the 80s?***

Oct 3, 2012, 7:59 PM

Danny's players said that practice was tougher than games.***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:02 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For the most part, that was universally true in all levels

Oct 3, 2012, 8:34 PM

of football in those days. I played four years of high school football at a 4A school in SC in the mid/late 70's, and games were a piece of cake compared to practice. There were no time limits in those days, 3.5 hour practices after school during the season, shoot we even practiced for 3 hours in pads on Sunday if we lost.

No water breaks, even in two a day practices in the summer. My senior year we started getting something called "Take 5", which could best be described as drinking red salt water, nasty and not a thirst quencher.

Re: Did they tackle in practice during the 80s?***

Oct 3, 2012, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Did they tackle in practice during the 80s?*** ]

Absolutely, Coach Ford's practices were hardnosed. L. Kirkland had recommended this to Dabo last but was shot down.

A friend of mine tweeted, "Wish he would have allowed them

Oct 3, 2012, 8:03 PM

to tackle in the Orange Bowl." - I admit I chuckled.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgtnt_user_logo.pngbadge-ringofhonor-elswann.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with friends like that who needs enemies! just kidding-

Oct 3, 2012, 8:16 PM

that was pretty good!

Hate to say it,but....

Oct 4, 2012, 8:41 AM [ in reply to A friend of mine tweeted, "Wish he would have allowed them ]

I don't feel these kids are getting coached up..at all

hmmm..

Re: Hate to say it,but....

Oct 4, 2012, 11:29 PM

You didn't "hate to say it" loud enough. They ARE getting coached!

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is the saying? You play like you practice.

Oct 3, 2012, 8:19 PM

I think they were often "thud tackling" in the game.

Oct 3, 2012, 8:23 PM

Some of Ford's players actually went home because of hard practice. He sent coaches to bring them back.
Practice was worse than gameday.

is anyone sick? how can you not ask that after last week?

Oct 3, 2012, 8:24 PM

blah

I'll show my ignorance, but i'm shocked

Oct 3, 2012, 8:25 PM

I never played football, former wrestler, we used to KILL each other in practice (The football player said wrestling practice was harder). I couldn't imagine no or reduced contact in a practice. How in the #### do you learn to hit someone???? We would murder each other to determine the starters and then spank our competition. No wonder no one in college football can tackle besides Alabama.

Re:Dabo's 99% on College Teams not Tackling live is BS

Oct 3, 2012, 8:32 PM

I know for a fact that Alabama takes to the ground at least one day a week. Florida tackles live in practice. Also, MD does too. The Tigers have struggled badly for the last several years. I'm glad Dabo has wised up, because the Thud technique has not worked around here.

Re:Dabo's 99% on College Teams not Tackling live is BS

Oct 3, 2012, 8:35 PM

what are these facts you speak of? i know most teams don't- but that is only by reading, watching and listening.

Hopefully this will lead them to tackling in GAMES

Oct 3, 2012, 8:26 PM

You knew it was coming....

That is what I love about this guy. He has no problem

Oct 3, 2012, 8:32 PM

admitting that he made a mistake. Now he is finding a way to get it right. He has done a lot of great things here at CU, especially since he was "learning on the job". We are definitely moving in a better direction than we have been in a long time. Now get those last few recruits that we are after and make 2013 the year of the tiger!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: well apparently he does

Oct 3, 2012, 8:36 PM

he has been told in the past he needs to do that and he hasnt so I would say he does have a problem with it. kind had to be forced by bad play into it.

just like the Orange bowl became a pleasure trip and we saw how that turned out.

NOw I like Dabo but eventually you have to do what needs doing

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think that he knew that we are not a deep team and

Oct 3, 2012, 8:53 PM

was very afraid of getting players hurt in practice. I agree that you can not teach the toughness on a collge football field without it. Heck, Georgia lost their star reciever today without him even being hit. You gotta let them play and hope for the best.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

It's a sin to lose a player in practice.....

Oct 3, 2012, 8:36 PM

Injuries is why so many coaches use thud tackling.
Times have changed.
Thankfully no one got injured.

You almost never see anyone get hurt making a tackle

Oct 4, 2012, 8:37 AM

Now the tacklee may get hurt, but that would be a scout team player so who cares?

Train as u Fight!

Oct 3, 2012, 9:03 PM

Nm

I tackled in high school. Only rule we had in high school

Oct 3, 2012, 9:12 PM

was to try not to kill the starting QB when you get to him, just give him a good lick and back off.

EVERYONE else was fair game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

485 wins says otherwise

Oct 3, 2012, 9:52 PM

Along with 4 national titles

http://onlyagame.wbur.org/2012/09/08/john-gagliardi-football

^^^ did it w/o SEC speed.... amazing.***

Oct 3, 2012, 10:41 PM

Now THIS is HD at its finest!

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: 485 wins says otherwise

Oct 3, 2012, 11:15 PM [ in reply to 485 wins says otherwise ]

Alabama tackles in practice and takes to ground during the season....they seem like the prototypical program to me, not St. Johns.

485 DIVISION III wins. Not exactly like tackling Mark Ingram***

Oct 4, 2012, 12:51 AM [ in reply to 485 wins says otherwise ]

I think if I coached for 64 years I'd manage that many wins***

Oct 4, 2012, 8:23 AM [ in reply to 485 wins says otherwise ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Anyone who watched Ford’s teams could easily

Oct 4, 2012, 12:14 AM

notice the difference. No Surprise

Injuries suck, but you can’t be afraid to PRACTICE!!!

Should have read Jim Riggs comments after watching a practice.

don't want to slam the program or the staff....but

Oct 4, 2012, 12:19 AM

how in the name of John Heisman can you hold football practice, AND NOT TACKLE???

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You cannot and win big games ... But Dabo has seen the light

Oct 4, 2012, 12:23 AM

sh

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You cannot and win big games ... But Dabo has seen the light

Oct 4, 2012, 12:39 PM

Frank Howard always had live tackling, but-there were 120 players on the varsity and we brought in 120 freshmen a year, and afterfreshman season was over -they scrimmaged the varsity. We were at least 4 deep at every position -offense and defense without freshmen being eligible. Makes a big difference when you only have 85 on scholly. Still you learn by doing. Hope we don't injure a running back........

He says Alabama "thuds" as well as 99% of college football..

Oct 4, 2012, 12:43 PM [ in reply to You cannot and win big games ... But Dabo has seen the light ]

I'm old school and believe tackling is a must, but it doesn't appear thudding is unique to us.

Re: kind of long response

Oct 4, 2012, 10:59 AM [ in reply to don't want to slam the program or the staff....but ]

I agree with you but this is a growing trend. My son plays freshman ball for Spanish Fort HS and they do not tackle in practice. Unfortunately it shows on the field. He played for a more hard nosed coach a few years ago that really believed in full speed contact. Surprise surprise, we were dominant defensively. These are essentially the same kids that are now playing freshman ball.

I've always preferred a guy that hits hard over a guy that maybe has slight quickness advantage but doesn't hit hard. How do you find out who those guys are if you don't hit? It would be like starting a guy because he looked like a good football player but not actually finding out if he can play until gameday.

definitely what we have needed

Oct 4, 2012, 11:12 AM

I've also noticed for years that our guys just tend to run shoulder first into players and hope that they hit the ground, but it doesn't work with the better skills players we face each week. I really hope this will pay dividends going forward.

We had more scholarships then too.***

Oct 4, 2012, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Anyone who watched Ford’s teams could easily ]

BETTER LATE THAN NEVER - Tiger Defense should improve

Oct 4, 2012, 12:22 AM

sh

Excellent! I wonder if Venables played a big role in this?

Oct 4, 2012, 12:27 AM

Does anyone know if Oklahoma tackles in practice?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Only took 3.5 yrs & 2 DCs to learn. Nice on-the-job-training

Oct 4, 2012, 2:04 AM

Dabo's Ds have had tackling problems for years, but Dabo pretends that this is a new problem. Kevin Steele also complained about the poor tackling caused by the lack of tackling in practice. (See link below to Steele interview.) Unfortunately for Steele and for Clemson football, Dabo overrode Steele, the D stank, and Dabo fired Steele, in part because Dabo didn't take Steele's advice. I wonder how many more games Clemson would have won if Dabo had just listened to Steele.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2011/sep/13/kevin-steele-attacking-tigers-tackling-issues/?print=1

I'd have more respect for Dabo if he would just be honest and say that he screwed up for the last few years but that he's finally learned. But I'm impressed that he admitted the mistake at all.

Slowly but surely, Dabo is learning from his mistakes and becoming a decent coach. Hopefully in a few more years he'll fix the S&C program, improve his game-time clock/time-out/4th-down management and become the kind of really good coach that I had hoped Clemson would hire in 2008.

Re: Only took 3.5 yrs & 2 DCs to learn. Nice on-the-job-training

Oct 4, 2012, 6:19 AM

Razz, Dabo is the kind of coach we want. Not afraid to follow his gut feeling, but not ruled by emotions. Even though he appears to be an emotional guy. It is my hope he will continue to evolve and not get stuck in a rut. I believe he did confess it was a mistake not to live tackle with the youngsters. Prior to this change, he was following the standard model of most if not all teams, pro and collegiate. So, another out-of -the-box moment for the Dabo. Now, if we lose AE, NUK, Tajh or Sammy at practice, we will all say, "whiskey tango foxtrot?!".

I don't think they're gonna do live tackling with the first

Oct 4, 2012, 8:47 AM

string offense. The first string offense and first string defense don't practice against each other during the season. The tackling will be the first string defense against the offensive scout team.

YOU want a "gut-feel" HC. I want a steely wise Saban-like HC

Oct 4, 2012, 12:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Only took 3.5 yrs & 2 DCs to learn. Nice on-the-job-training ]

It's great that Dabo is learning from his mistakes like most people do. I just wish he would learn faster, like most people do. And I wish Clemson had hired a proven, experienced guy who had learned from his mistakes at his previous jobs.

Alabama reportedly practices live tackling at least once a week, which probably helps explain why they won another national championship a few days after WVU put up a record-setting 70 points on us.

I doubt that our D will be tackling Nuk, Watkins, Ellington, & Boyd in practice. More likely they'll be tackling the practice team or maybe the backups.

Razz I'm suuuure that 'ol Saban was letting

Oct 4, 2012, 1:19 PM

T Richardson, Ingram, J Jones, et all get hit in practice. RIIIIGHT!

I agree that I too wanted a veteran HC instead of Dabo, but are you saying Dabo has done a poor job?

If so you need a reality check. There is only one Nick Saban. Not sure Bill Parcells would have come here.

What does Dabo need to do to meet your expecations?

Re: Razz I'm suuuure that 'ol Saban was letting

Oct 4, 2012, 8:08 PM

T Richardson, Ingram, J Jones, et all get hit in practice. RIIIIGHT!
If you read my post above, you'll see that I said I don't expect them to tackle Ellington, Watkins, Boyd, et al.

I agree that I too wanted a veteran HC instead of Dabo, but are you saying Dabo has done a poor job?
I'm saying he hasn't done a great job. I'm saying that a better coach would have done a better job-- especially the first two years. He's better now, but I'm saying that he made a bunch of newbie mistakes that a good, seasoned coach wouldn't have made, like firing Koenning, making Napier OC, letting Jamie Harper & Andre Ellington decide their playing time, failing to practice tackling, bad clock management, etc. I'm saying that Clemson probably would have won more games, gotten better bowls, and finished ranked higher with a better coach who wouldn't have made those newbie mistakes. Do you disagree that a better coach wouldn't have done better?

If so you need a reality check. There is only one Nick Saban. Not sure Bill Parcells would have come here.
Clemson could have hired a proven, successful HC like Patterson, Peterson, et al, or a successful coordinator.

What does Dabo need to do to meet your expecations?
Stop making stupid mistakes. Make Clemson a perennial Top 25, frequent Top 12 team and occasional NC contender. Make Clemson a nationally respected team that isn't a laughing stock for "pulling a Clemson" or getting 70 points hung them. Win about half his games against non-con teams that finish in the Top 25. (He's 0-5 so far.) Upset at least as many teams as he gets upset by. (Dabo is a pathetic 3-9 (.250) in “upset games”, meaning that he loses lots of games to underdogs but rarely beats a favorite.)

Train has left the station. we'll send you a postcard. -1.***

Oct 4, 2012, 1:19 PM [ in reply to YOU want a "gut-feel" HC. I want a steely wise Saban-like HC ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My word you're out of touch with reality....

Oct 4, 2012, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Only took 3.5 yrs & 2 DCs to learn. Nice on-the-job-training ]

Simply put -

- Everyone "thuds". Tackling is taught during separate drills. Steele did not do a good job teaching tackling, and it has nothing to do with "thudding".

- Dabo has accomplished more than any coach we've had in over two decades, and it's obviously still growing.

- There is not a coach in America, neither old nor young, who hasn't made a slew of mistakes, including hiring and firing assistants. There is simply no guarantee a "really good coach" would be doing any better than he is, and in fact he's doing better than a lot of seasoned guys.

Please get a clue. Thanks.

Lol do you write for Shakin the Southland?

Oct 4, 2012, 7:54 PM [ in reply to Only took 3.5 yrs & 2 DCs to learn. Nice on-the-job-training ]

Back to the S&C thing again? Keep pushing that agenda

Message was edited by: CTiger423®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. Dabo fixed several mistakes STS called out for years!

Oct 4, 2012, 8:16 PM

... like live tackling in practice, canning Brad Scott, etc.

Made a Mistake

Oct 4, 2012, 3:35 AM

Actually, I read his comment about him stating I probably made a mistake to mean that he is thinking he is probably making a mistake by having his guys tackle his offensive guys and risk players getting hurt.

I'm old school and do not think tackling in practice is a mistake at all. Should be doing it all along.

Seems like we have injuries from practice every year

Oct 4, 2012, 8:57 AM

turf toe (x1000), pulled hamstrings, sore sholders have all caused missed gametime.

If we are going to miss game time anyway for practice related injuries, we might as well learn to tackle.

Oct 4, 2012, 9:11 AM

Well no wonder we seem so soft in games on D. The practices need to be tougher and hardnosed. This kinda stuff needs to be done during the off season....theres a reason Bama's D is the way they are. Those guys go thru a boot camp of practices. You have to develop that Physical and mental toughness before the season even starts. All this two-hand touch BS every single day and just trottin around needs to stop. You can't be scared of getting starters hurt in practice and not take the chance of making your backups better. Injuries are going to happen regardless. We have to get mean on D period.

They better hope their 'roid supply wasn't from Nashville.***

Oct 4, 2012, 1:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 57
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic