Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Steele talks Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Steele talks Georgia Tech

Oct 26, 2011, 8:46 AM

Steele talks Georgia Tech

Clemson defensive coordinator Kevin Steele spent his Tuesday session with the media answering questions about Jacket head coach Paul Johnson’s option attack. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks Georgia Tech

Oct 26, 2011, 9:15 AM

I only played JV in HS for one year, then switched to Cross Country. So, I know VERY little about football. Is Steele saying that man to man is the ideal coverage? One guy gets the QB, one for the dive back, one gets the pitch man? Is there such a thing as backfield man to man? And if so, can that be mixed with downfield zone? Again, I'm totally clueless. But, I'd love to know.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Depending on the coverage, OLB or CB gets the pitch, the DE

Oct 26, 2011, 9:32 AM

or DT gets the QB, and the line/MLB gets the dive guy. The safeties and back side LB much cover crossing routes and the back side CB must not let anyone past him in the middle to the third away from the play action. Against the option, it is the same EVERTY time.

Oct 26, 2011, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks Georgia Tech ]

I believe what he is saying is that everybody on defense has his own responsibilities on every play. Our player's, especially from the LB's back to the secondary have specific resposnibilities based on how GT (or any other team, for that matter) lines up, and every defensive player should carry out his own assignments on every play. With this offense, it moves so fast and the pitches or passes are decided on in a split second, based on what the defense is doing, so if a DB guesses a play is going one way and gives up on his assignment to make a play out of his area we can get burned by a pitch, or even worse by a wide open receiver. That is what I believe he is saying. Now after a play crosses the line of scrimmage, a defender certainly can swarm to the ball, but leaving his assignmet too quickly will get a player burned.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 26, 2011, 10:28 AM

That's kind of what I figured. It concerns me because we've been burned by mobile QB's (Maryland, Wofford) and the option (Wofford) this year. I guess I'm just hoping we'll do better Saturday. It helps that we have film from two games in which GT was limited.

Oct 26, 2011, 7:58 PM

The film will help, and our mistakes in the Wofford game will be helpful, too. The key to stopping the option is for the D Line to clog up the middle, the DE to force the QB to pitch and for the LB's to run it down on the sides for little or no gain. The corners are for additional containment and help if a breakthrough occurs, and the DB's/Safeties are to cover the receiver/s. If we do our jobs, GT is nailed in the kiester. If we don't, then we get bent over. Play our assignments, and this is a fun game for the Tigers. IMHO

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here is how we play it where I coach

Oct 26, 2011, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: Steele talks Georgia Tech ]

The BACKSIDE LB has to take the dive... not playside guy. His responsiblity needs to be the QB. The DE also hits the QB.
The line helps on the dive (obviously)
The outside LB and CB hit the pitch.

EVERY play, the dive, QB, and pitch should be hit. I played CB and would hit the pitch man before the pitch ever happened, which is legal to do (and a lot of fun too). Give em alligator arms.

I don't know who Steele assigns where, but he is saying that if everybody plays their guy, the option will be stopped.

That's exactly how I was thinking it should be done

Oct 26, 2011, 3:28 PM

Hit them all... It would seem that this would be the most fumble-prone style of offense if the defenses treated it this way.

He'll cut his own grass when his wife tells him to...***

Oct 26, 2011, 10:03 AM

Re: He'll cut his own grass when his wife tells him to...***

Oct 26, 2011, 10:14 AM

Now that's funny!
It's a great quote too.

Coach Steele - Shut them down!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: He'll cut his own grass when his wife tells him to...***

Oct 26, 2011, 10:53 AM

The watch was pointed, AGAIN....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One play in particular I recall UNC

Oct 26, 2011, 10:27 AM

I checked the replay on DVR when I got home too.

#5 (Meeks) was 25 yds downfield covering a receiver, saw the QB step up out of the pocket like a run and Meeks took two steps toward the QB. He was 25 yds from the QB but figured he should help out on the run since the QB was flushed from the pocket.

QB pulled up, chucked it to the guy who was now 5yd clear of the safety, TD UNC, because the safety bit on the run.

Given GaTech's option, just about any play will look like this one to the safeties. It's how GaTech got all those big pass plays.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're right. Safties have been burned several times.

Oct 26, 2011, 11:04 AM

You have to respect the run for GT, but this is going to come down to communication and discipline on the assignments.

It is funny how everyone wants to be a coach and explain their perfect defense for this game. I think personally we have enough talent to run a Cover 1 man, and put your best coverage safety or a huge corner to play safety, and let the line and linebackers worry about the drag plays or screens they might try to throw.

However, there is a good reason that I am sitting at a computer and not at a college campus coaching haha. I trust Steele and his preparation going into this week. KEEP ON ROLLING BABY! GO TIGERS!!

Didn't realize that there are 7-8 types of chop blocks

Oct 26, 2011, 12:09 PM

Dirty players

I'm not a defensive dude, but seems if you force the play

Oct 26, 2011, 12:57 PM

to the outside and protect the middle you'll have a good chance at stopping an option team.

Hate to say I'm with Dr. Lou on this one...

Oct 26, 2011, 1:06 PM

Take out the pitch, funnel everything to the middle of the field and pound the QB all day.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"You don't get control of the game when you're air-balling layups." - Brent Venables

^^Here's the answer. Kill the QB and they won't be effective

Oct 26, 2011, 2:11 PM

The QB is the center to everything. If they aren't doing well, the team will suffer. Right now, through the past 2 games, Miami and Virginia have killed the QB. Enough so, that GT actually CHANGED QBs. The starter is the one that got them to 6-0, and now they change them out!?

All due to the teams focusing on the outside and forcing the QB to handle everything.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic