Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: "New guy" has plenty of issues to work on
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: "New guy" has plenty of issues to work on

Jan 18, 2012, 10:10 AM

"New guy" has plenty of issues to work on

Clemson's new defensive coordinator, whoever he may be, has a tall task ahead of him. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: "New guy" has plenty of issues to work on

Jan 18, 2012, 10:17 AM

aggressivenss probably means pushing a guy out of bounds along the sideline and not letting him tipotoe and stretch for another 10 yeards ( done at least 3 times against WV) and wrapping up when tackling taking them to the ground. we had two different slings of guys where we didn take them to the ground and they manged to get up and go for 5-10 more yerds. we had one of ours get slung and he flopped on the ground like a dead carp. pretty clear who came to play that night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

why the heck is tackling such a big problem for us?

Jan 18, 2012, 10:28 AM

The guys Clemson recruits are all elite athletes. I realize that the other team is filled with great athletes too (who can break tackles, etc.) but, like the article states, our tackling has gone from bad to worse.

Re: why the heck is tackling such a big problem for us?

Jan 18, 2012, 10:30 AM

because guys who wont arent benched. if it was pt related you'd see it improve

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^this

Jan 18, 2012, 11:24 AM

and it seems like blocking on the OL is the same

Dabo reportedly limited tackling against Steele's wishes.

Jan 18, 2012, 1:10 PM [ in reply to why the heck is tackling such a big problem for us? ]

If you read the following interview with Steele back in September, Steele said that he wanted to have more live tackling because his players' fundamentals were bad, but Dabo wouldn't let him.

http://www.orangeandwhite.com/news/2011/sep/13/kevin-steele-attacking-tigers-tackling-issues/?print=1

I heard that the senior leadership council went to Dabo and said that they didn't want so much tackling at practices, and Dabo agreed, like a pal. I'll bet Saban would have dismissed the players for even asking.

wrong wrong wrong

Jan 18, 2012, 4:59 PM

you are completely wrong.

Amen Brotha!

Jan 18, 2012, 10:31 AM

Hood for DC!

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DC Hood makes some good observations

Jan 18, 2012, 10:43 AM

Like when he originally named four mobile QBs and said it was just three examples... and has since gone back and edited it - that was quick and observant.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: DC Hood makes some good observations

Jan 18, 2012, 3:15 PM

Halftime adjustments. A necessary skill

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The aggressiveness paragraph is spot on. Every sentence.***

Jan 18, 2012, 10:32 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tackling is bad at all levels now

Jan 18, 2012, 10:35 AM

Even the best NFL players don't wrap up.

But we are worse than most.

Re: Tackling is bad at all levels now

Jan 18, 2012, 10:41 AM

The big hit with a sholder has become to football as the "thunder dunk" has become to basketball. Guys more concerned with making a highlight reel than proper exicution.

Re: Tackling is bad at all levels now- yep and

Jan 18, 2012, 10:48 AM

the spelling of execution is even worse. :)

Says the guy who spelled managed

Jan 18, 2012, 12:43 PM

manged and yards yerds.

Well played, though. ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

As much as I hate it I disagree on Hall...

Jan 18, 2012, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Tackling is bad at all levels now ]

After having a very good freshman season he hasn't really done anything IMO. Too many times this season he was seen running with his back to the LOS trying to cover a man already covered by a corner leaving the middle of the field wide open. At times it appeared he was too busy trying to get the others in position or making calls when the ball was snapped. I'll stick to my original thoughts on our DBs this season...really good, dependable back ups priot to this season but not starter material and I think it showed this year.

Maybe another example of Steele's scheme being too

Jan 18, 2012, 11:12 AM

complex. If Hall is trying to get everyone else lined up correctly, then he can't focus on his own assignment.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe another example of Steele's scheme being too

Jan 18, 2012, 11:38 AM

i realize our defense was awful.. but it was good enough with the offense to win 10 games and the ACC.. i hope we can be more agressive and better tacklers in our next years.... (see Alabama team for example) HOwever,, we must recruit those kinds of kids and they arent coming in droves to CLemson for some reason .

Jan 18, 2012, 12:33 PM

I've been saying it for 2 years. The defense lacks that Clemson "swagger". The "Clarence Megwa Leg Breaking Intensity" or the "Matt Ryan Wishes He Had Played Chess After Getting Hit That Hard" intensity. We did not swarm the ball. Ever. I'm a pretty young guy, but I remember the defenses where it was 7 or 8 Tigers blowing up a pitiful running back or unlucky wide receiver. I miss this, as I'm sure everyone else does. I certainly don't think it was a lack of talent. Simply we lost that Clemson "swagger". The "I want to punch you in the mouth if you even think about moving the ball" mentality. I hope we can get someone who is less "scheme" and more beat down football.

Whoever it is, better hit the ground running...I don't want

Jan 18, 2012, 12:37 PM

to hear any excuses for not having a Top 20 Defense this year...No "players graduating", no "this is his first year", no "we played GT 9 days into his first season", "we don't have depth", "We're young"...None of that...And God-forbid we miss a tackle or blow an assignment...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tackling has devolved to Stripping

Jan 18, 2012, 1:15 PM

It has become an obsession with defenders, they've gone from clean hard tackling to just trying to strip the ball from the runner. How many times we've seen the runner move 10-15 yards further downfield as the defender is dragging along trying to strip the ball!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicken-Killin I hate them dirt pecking birds (except on a plate...)

Re: Are you expecting us to be Bama on defense??

Jan 18, 2012, 1:32 PM

Cuz that will never happen. You just listed the problems for every team in the country, except for maybe Bama and LSU. Every team wants faster, harder-hitting players that tackle better. Every fan wants a defense who has 3-and-outs every other drive. Won't happen. Thats why this is college ball. A DC who the kids like and respond to will be plenty.

I think our practices may be too soft. We need more live

Jan 18, 2012, 2:16 PM

tackling and full contact. THAT is how you tougher a team up. S&C doesn't make you tough. Practicing until it hurts makes you tough.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 18, 2012, 3:46 PM

Hood is pretty much dead on. I don't think he missed anything except building leadership on defense and recruiting. Good leaders as we have had in past years would not have let the Orange Bowl embarrasswent happen.

We need a great evaluater of talent and an enthusiastic recruiter. We have to find and go get the defensive players we need!

Re: Front Page Story: "New guy" has plenty of issues to work on***

Jan 18, 2012, 4:42 PM

Re: Re: Front Page Story: "New guy" has plenty of issues to work on***

Jan 18, 2012, 4:46 PM

I could not have said it any better. 100 % correct on all aspects.

Hallelujah...***

Jan 18, 2012, 8:27 PM

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic