Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: A different kind of cat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: A different kind of cat

Oct 3, 2013, 10:33 AM

A different kind of cat

Kalon Davis is not your average college football offensive lineman. The self-admitted jokester is majoring in Japanese, never tells people he plays football, and enjoys soccer in the offseason. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat- interesting

Oct 3, 2013, 10:36 AM

I did not know there was a Japanese major at Clemson

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Future Sumo Wrestling Champion??

Oct 3, 2013, 10:46 AM

The man really loves some Japanese culture! That's pretty cool. I would hate to play him in indoor soccer. Just get out of the way when he gets the ball or you might get hurt.

His major aside

Oct 3, 2013, 10:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat- interesting ]

I just want his big self to go Godzilla on the dude lined up across from him

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GRod-Zilla!!

Oct 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

:)

So we fund a Japanese major and not Journalism?

Oct 3, 2013, 10:41 AM

Interesting.

Great article!

Hai***

Oct 3, 2013, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Japanese majoring takes precisely one professor

Oct 3, 2013, 1:49 PM [ in reply to So we fund a Japanese major and not Journalism? ]

within the structure of the entire Languages department, whereas I'd guess a Journalism major would require an entire department. Not saying I wouldn't like a Journalism major because I think that'd be great, but it did not take much to create a Japanese major--literally all they had to do was hire a professor and have him/her sketch out a curriculum.

Re: Japanese majoring takes precisely one professor

Oct 3, 2013, 2:46 PM

I was a Japanese minor at Clemson and it is actual three professors. Two full time tenured professors and a native japanese professor that tends to change ever two years.

Fair enough***

Oct 4, 2013, 3:11 PM

SC Commission of Higher Ed doesn't think CU needs journalism***

Oct 3, 2013, 7:30 PM [ in reply to So we fund a Japanese major and not Journalism? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Japanese = business. Jornalism = dying business

Oct 4, 2013, 11:47 AM [ in reply to So we fund a Japanese major and not Journalism? ]

Take it from a watcher in the graveyard...

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is what I LOVE about Clemson!

Oct 3, 2013, 10:48 AM

Our guys are more than football players here. They actually develop themselves off the field and in all aspects of their life.
If this were Alabama or the SEC, fans would be furious that this kid doesn't live eat and breathe football.

Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat

Oct 3, 2013, 10:50 AM

I didn't even know Clemson offered a major in Japanese. I don't mean to be critical, because I doubt if I could get thru that major, but what kind of a job do you apply for with a major in Japanese? Maybe the government can use you for something. Does he know you can't immigrate to Japan, I don't think. I do think I heard that not too long ago that Japan does not allow immigration right now. That may or may not be true, but I do think I heard that a couple of weeks ago. I have eaten at a couple of Japanese Steak Houses and they were nice. It's interesting he is choosing this as his major.

Regarding Job prospects

Oct 3, 2013, 10:57 AM

I agree it would seam difficult, Japanese is certainly a niche. But, he could be a great fit for some Japanese company trying to penetrate the American market (weather it be a big company like SONY or an upstart). He could be that personable guy how builds relationships and manages accounts and communicates well with both cultures.

Exactly

Oct 3, 2013, 11:03 AM

I knew a guy who got hired as a lawyer by Michelin. He learned to speak French and eventually became a top executive with them in the US.

If Davis can learn to speak Japanese fluently, there might be a lot of opportunities for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly

Oct 3, 2013, 11:17 AM

Agreed...back when I was at Clemson, we offered a language and international trade major. I know this because I wanted to do it, but my parents said no to a semester abroad and at the time, I still mostly listened to them. I suspect there will be lots of opportunities for him in this global marketplace of ours.

International Business?

Oct 3, 2013, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

just a guess

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mississippi Tiger --------- Clemson University - 8 Time National Football Champions - 1900, 1906, 1948, 1950, 1981, 1983, 2016, 2018

Technical translators make several hundred$ / page. That

Oct 3, 2013, 11:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

can add up fairly quickly on a large documents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We are Japan's largest trading partner from my understanding

Oct 3, 2013, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

unless we have recently be overtaken by China. It is one of our strongest trade relationships. There will be ample opportunities for someone who is willing to learn the language and travel. I commend him for having the desire for such a unique career. Neat story and Go Tigers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: We are Japan's largest trading partner from my understanding

Oct 3, 2013, 4:02 PM

Adding the fact that he seem to be very inthoosed about the Jab culture. I'm betting it works for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't be serious

Oct 3, 2013, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

Executive of Japanese auto plants in USA
Executive of Japanese technology firms in USA
Salesman/businessman/manager/liaison for any US (or British, or Canadian, or Australian) firm doing business with or in Japan
Diplomat or other State Department civil servant
Translator
UN employee

Just off the top of my head. He has a WORLD of opportunities awaiting him.

Oct 3, 2013, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

yes the government always needs translators. obviously they hire a lot of people who speak arabic, farsi or chinese. but they need people who speak german, japanese, and french too. its not like we dont have foreign relations with those countries. by the way, do you know how much translators make? my sister translates English to Spanish and makes 20-30 dollars per hour. freelance translators can set their own rate as well. usually 10-15 cents per word.

From a Clemson alumnus living in Japan now...

Oct 3, 2013, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat ]

Clemson grad living in Japan for 5+ years. There are actually quite a few of us over here.

The rarity of native English speakers with real Japanese proficiency, especially in areas like the southeast, makes it a really lucrative language. Part-time technical translation income is literally putting me through graduate school right now.

Oddest part of story for me - - - a 6-5 335 lb soccer player***

Oct 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

Forward, no less....***

Oct 3, 2013, 1:43 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I played soccer against him in high school

Oct 3, 2013, 10:56 AM

He was the goalie for the JV team at Chester when I saw him play. Varsity was warming up near the end of the JV game and we saw Kalon challenge one of our JV guys for a loose ball in the box...the collision snapped our player's leg. At the shin. Most gruesome thing I ever saw. Unfortunate injury, Kalon is definitely a gentle giant.

Photobucket
My bad Trevor

Re: I played soccer against him in high school

Oct 3, 2013, 10:59 AM

Dang that is rough. I saw that happen live in an MLS game once - gruesome. Same thing happened to the Louisville power forward last year in the final four.

Interesting guy - this is a great article

Oct 3, 2013, 11:37 AM

Kalon is a very articulate guy as well - impressive.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kalon truely is everything in the article

Oct 3, 2013, 1:01 PM

I am a student at Clemson and am minoring in japanese. Thats where I met the big guy. Everything said in this article is true. He is a genuinely good guy and is interested in getting a good education. What is not mentioned is that he arleady has a minor, and is also minoring in digital production arts to go along with learning japanese.

He is also really good at video games.

Kalon seems like a truly good guy all around and is trying

Oct 3, 2013, 3:20 PM

to make the best of the opportunities. He will definately succeed in life, football or otherwise.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that does make sense

Oct 3, 2013, 4:39 PM [ in reply to Kalon truely is everything in the article ]

considering a lot of the big gaming companies are Japanese.

Nice piece. Love seeing guys in non-cupcake majors. Gambare!***

Oct 3, 2013, 3:50 PM

Oct 3, 2013, 4:23 PM

What a pleasant interview with a guy who sounds like he is a terrific person. I like the kind of talent our coaches are trying to get. Sure, there are some slip ups, but the majority of our guys make me proud to be a Clemson man.

Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat***

Oct 3, 2013, 5:04 PM

Re: Front Page Story: A different kind of cat***

Oct 3, 2013, 5:07 PM

I remember watching him play at Chester

Oct 3, 2013, 5:52 PM

He is a HUGE boy. Good lord he's massive, I honestly thought he was bigger than 6'5 335.

Oct 3, 2013, 6:34 PM

I know Kalon personally and he really is a good person. He is very genuine. I am glad to see him doing well on the field this year. He has worked really hard to get there.

Oct 3, 2013, 6:47 PM

I've played some pick up soccer with him back in 2011 when I was still in Clemson. Pretty impressed with his footwork and touch for a big guy. Seemed like a really nice and interesting character.

Gambatte Kalon!***

Oct 4, 2013, 10:10 AM

Also heard he took a Digital production arts class.

Oct 8, 2013, 10:35 AM

Also heard he took a Digital production arts class. His interest in Japanese also comes from video games. DPA is a combination of art and computer animation programming. He is a very interesting cat indeed.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic