Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
From a veteran, to all in attendance at Death Valley y’day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

From a veteran, to all in attendance at Death Valley y’day

Nov 19, 2017, 6:10 PM

A heartfelt thank you to all for your support of veterans and especially for you remaining in your seats for the halftime ceremonies. This is the first year I went down on the field at halftime with other service members for recognition during halftime. While I know it wasn’t totally about us 500 or so veterans that were on the field, but probably more so for the Cross Ceremony, Taps, 21 gun salute, Lee Greenwood, the band, et. al.

Anyway, to hear 80,000 +/- Tiger fans cheer while down on the field was quite an experience. I have ‘heard it’ so many times from the stands, and always wondered what it sounds like for our team on the field...

..... now I know. It’s pretty darned cool!! And I thank you all for that (and I think I also speak for all the veterans - young and old - that were also on the field yesterday). And it is GREAT to be a Tiger!

GO TIGERS!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Re: From a veteran, to all in attendance at Death Valley y’day

Nov 19, 2017, 6:16 PM

Cool for you Bill! THANK YOU!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Nov 19, 2017, 6:20 PM

Thanks for your service Bill. I didn't go down on the hill. Climbing up and down those steps are things I avoid now. Was a very impressive event. Clemson does it right !!!!!

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2017, 6:27 PM

I feel like it’s the least I can do is stay in my seat and honor the true heroes of this country. Thanks to men & women like yourself I’m able to have my seat & time at games in Death Valley, SC. I feel inadequate & unworthy to be able to say “you’re welcome” to a veteran for anything, but THANK YOU UNCLE BILL for your service & your contribution to my freedom. I’m glad that you enjoyed the Military Appreciation events yesterday.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2017, 6:49 PM

I was down in the AF section as was my dad. I met several of my old buddies from Clemson in the early '80s. Awesome experience, especially with my dad there. To me the most impressive part was not the crowd noise, but near silence of 80,000 people during the memorial ceremony. It was deafening and humbling.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 19, 2017, 7:20 PM

This is the first year that I haven't gathered with the Marines on the field. I was staying home with my wife after she had recent surgery. I hated to miss it. Did the Marines break the staff holding up their flag this year? We did last year, and as you all know, Marines specialize in breaking things!

Thank you to all of the other veterans and the Clemson fans who really do support us!

Nov 19, 2017, 7:42 PM

Sorry you missed it and the best to your bride on a speedy and successful recovery!

I believe I saw your compatriots posing for pix with your flag after the ceremonies, so they covered well in your absence!

Semper Fi and AIM HIGH!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:58 PM

Thanks Bill ....... Semper Fi!

I was delighted to see your guys driving those F-4 Phantom loaded with ordinance while I was a young Marine platoon commander in Viet Nam. Also hats off to the young Army Warrant Officer flying choppers into places that a lot of others wouldn't fly.

ALL THANKS TO YOU, SIR!***

Nov 19, 2017, 7:44 PM

You looked great down there, Uncle Bill.

Nov 19, 2017, 7:49 PM

Glad you could hear me all the way from the upper deck!

You'll have to do it again next year.

I take Leave every year for this weekend.

Nov 19, 2017, 7:53 PM

Clemson again puts on a great observance. That game was my last as an active duty member as I'm planning on retiring in June. But, my daughter is now in and hopefully both of us can be on the field together for the first time next year.

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation (Al Champs!)!

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Bill, I was awestruck at the reverence during the ceremony

Nov 19, 2017, 7:56 PM

for fallen soldiers. It was an amazing thing to hear the SILENCE of 80,000 people.

Re: Bill, I was awestruck at the reverence during the ceremony

Nov 19, 2017, 9:53 PM

I thought the exact same thing about the silence in the stadium. My dad was a WWII and Korea vet and we buried him at Arlington almost 20 years ago. When I hear taps and remember back to that cold day in December when a grateful nation laid him to rest. Love and respect to all the brave men and women represented in Death Valley on Saturday, including many of the Citadel young men who will go on to serve their country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bill, I was awestruck at the reverence during the ceremony

Nov 19, 2017, 10:07 PM

I cry at this game every year when I hear Taps in a setting surrounded by the hills, the lake, the skies. A big THANK YOU to all our veterans and active military!

Nov 19, 2017, 10:06 PM

As the roar of the crowd is during the game, the silence of 80,000 is a humbling and emotional experience. Look forward to this game every year.

Nov 19, 2017, 10:59 PM

Thank you Bill and to all on this thread that have served. You are appreciated.

Y'all are an easy group to cheer for :)***

Nov 20, 2017, 1:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic