Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN: "A LOSS isn't always a LOSS for EVERYBODY"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 70
| visibility 1

ESPN: "A LOSS isn't always a LOSS for EVERYBODY"

Oct 20, 2015, 8:46 AM

They are asking if the committee will consider extenuating circumstances in a loss? Michigan's and Notre Dame's losses (2 pts in a monsoon) were mentioned. They are REALLY pushing their agenda. I had given them the benefit of the doubt until they started with this "good" loss bull crap. If a loss is not a loss, then what's the point of playing???

Brad Edwards said this on College Football Playoff:

The biggest challenge for the committee..."it's how they handle extenuating circumstances in a loss. A LOSS ISN'T ALWAYS A LOSS FOR EVERYBODY. Are they going to give Michigan credit because they should have won? Will they treat it as any other loss, or will they give them a little something back because of the way they lost? Notre Dame lost to Clemson in a monsoon by a two-point conversion." He also mentioned Ole Miss and bama, but I didn't get all of that.

Message was edited by: TigerzzRoar®

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: ESPN: Will committee consider extenuating circumstances

Oct 20, 2015, 8:50 AM

ND is lucky it was a monsoon. We could have beat them by 30 the way we shut down their offense for 3 quarters.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Agree, but point is if the committee can throw out losses

Oct 20, 2015, 8:52 AM

then this is nothing but a beauty contest. What a load of bull!

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

You're missing the point

Oct 20, 2015, 9:05 AM

Their point isn't that losses don't matter. It's that at the end of the season, the committee might have to consider how a team loses when they're comparing two 11-1 or 12-1 teams. This wouldn't be good for us, but it could be like TCU Baylor last year. If we drop one to either Miami or NC State, the committee could look at ND's loss to us as "not as bad" as our loss to Miami or NC State. Both would be on the road, but losing to a top 5-10 Clemson team isn't as bad as losing to unranked NC State.

They're also looking at the Michigan State win with a grain of salt. Suppose Utah runs the table or even has 1 loss in the Pac 12 and both Baylor and either Clemson or FSU win out. All three of those teams are in. Then, they could potentially have to decide between a 1 loss Alabama or 11-1 ND compared to an undefeated Michigan St.

Suppose Michigan St loses one game, but wins the B1G. I could easily see them getting left out then based purely off the Michigan win. The committee could see that as 1 1/2 losses. The ND loss to Clemson isn't as clear cut. In reality, it's a close loss on the road to a highly ranked team, which isn't as bad as either a loss at home or a loss to an unranked team.

If you say so

Oct 20, 2015, 9:11 AM

That is how I hope the committee sees it. However, ESPN is pushing their agenda, if you listen to B. Edwards. They are beginning now to try to build up some leverage in pushing for teams they want in the playoff. "If you say it enough times..."

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: You're missing the point

Oct 20, 2015, 6:05 PM [ in reply to You're missing the point ]

Im a tiger through and through but if we lose a game we don't deserve to make the playoffs but if we don't lose we can't be left out.

See it works. You have bought in already.***

Dec 22, 2015, 9:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't forget Bama with the 5 TOs vs Ole Miss

Oct 20, 2015, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Agree, but point is if the committee can throw out losses ]

that loss was freakish and does not count.

Re: don't forget Bama with the 5 TOs vs Ole Miss

Oct 20, 2015, 9:45 AM

Agreed, without the turn overs it would have been a different game, Alabama should be credited with a win. They are Alabama after all.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: don't forget Bama with the 5 TOs vs Ole Miss

Dec 22, 2015, 8:56 AM [ in reply to don't forget Bama with the 5 TOs vs Ole Miss ]

In no way did the other team cause the turnovers, I saw Bama 5 times just simply hand the ball to Swag Kelly and the Old #### team. This was just Bama's community service project for this year. Remember you only lose when you care about other people!

Oct 20, 2015, 8:53 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN: Will committee consider extenuating circumstances ]

No such thing as a good loss . The term is ridiculous . In football , if you ain't dubya , you ell .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 20, 2015, 9:08 AM

Good loss may be an oxymoron, but there are losses that are worse than others. For example, Alabama's loss to Mississippi isn't as bad as Mississippi's loss to Memphis.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:28 AM

Looks like that would make it worse

Oct 20, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN: Will committee consider extenuating circumstances ]

Memphis is pretty good

Oct 20, 2015, 7:21 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN: Will committee consider extenuating circumstances ]

> Good loss may be an oxymoron, but there are losses
> that are worse than others. For example, Alabama's
> loss to Mississippi isn't as bad as Mississippi's
> loss to Memphis.

Depends on how you look at it. Alabama got beat by a team that got throttled by Univ. of Memphis. Memphis!

I like my perspective the best. :)

Yes, but the fact that Bama lost to Ole Miss and then

Dec 22, 2015, 7:51 AM [ in reply to Re: ESPN: Will committee consider extenuating circumstances ]

Ole Miss lost to Memhis and 2 others worsens Bama's loss.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

It does seem unfair that only ND players

Oct 20, 2015, 8:52 AM

Had to deal with the bad weather, and it was sunny and 77 degrees for Clemson players.

null

Right - What Brad Edwards said was totally ridiculous

Oct 20, 2015, 9:00 AM

I am hoping the committee looks at a loss for what it is--a loss. If not, this whole process is going to be a mess. I see chaos coming if 'extenuating circumstances' does indeed happen.

--Henry David Thoreau

I never side with ESPN....

Oct 20, 2015, 9:10 AM

.... and I didn't see the show, but was he talking about losses against losses or losses against wins? If he was saying compare a 1 loss ND team (2 pt loss on the road in a monsoon to a playoff team) to let's say a 1 loss Oklahoma team (7 point loss at a neutral site to a crappy Texas team) or even a 1 loss Alabama team that got handled at home (and gave the game away time after time) by a mediocre Ole Miss team, then yes, I would say that they need to consider how the loss happened.

If they are saying a 1 loss ND should jump an undefeated or a 2 loss Michigan should jump a 1 loss team, then I want whatever he's smoking because it's got to be good!

Here is what Brad Edwards said..

Oct 20, 2015, 9:28 AM

The biggest challenge for the committee..."it's how they handle extenuating circumstances in a loss. A LOSS ISN'T ALWAYS A LOSS FOR EVERYBODY. Are they going to give Michigan credit because they should have won? Will they treat it as any other loss, or will they give them a little something back because of the way they lost. Notre Dame lost to Clemson in a monsoon by a two-point conversion." He also mentioned Ole Miss, but I didn't get all of that.

Message was edited by: TigerzzRoar®

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Right - What Brad Edwards said was totally ridiculous

Oct 20, 2015, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Right - What Brad Edwards said was totally ridiculous ]

How about this? If FSU loses in a close game to us in Clemson and then drubs the Gators who go on to beat the Tide or LSU and win the SEC, should they be in consideration for a spot in the playoffs? If the committee had to decide between them and a 1 loss Michigan St., who won their conference, but lost late in the year on the road to unranked Penn St., and should have lost earlier in the season to Michigan, should they discount the Michigan win? Otherwise, it's a 1 loss conference champ vs a 1 loss conference runner up.

ND Should Play ACC Atlantic Runner Up Championship Weekend

Oct 20, 2015, 12:33 PM

Have the option - to give both teams an extra quality game to help make the playoffs. In practice, FSU loses to Clemson, beats UF who wins the SEC, then plays ND since they missed the ACC Championship game.

^^^This***

Oct 20, 2015, 9:08 AM [ in reply to It does seem unfair that only ND players ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN: Apparently losses are not really losses any more

Oct 20, 2015, 9:04 AM

Yes, yes he did.

But he's a coot, so . . . .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Yes, Losses are losses

Oct 20, 2015, 9:20 AM

unless you are Ohio State, Stanford or any SEC team, then surely you had some extraordinary turn of events that was beyond your control that led to your defeat, it can't possibly be that the other team was just better, that could never happen. I turned it when I saw the jackazz with a one loss Stanford team ranked ahead of Clemson.

Re: Yes, Losses are losses

Oct 20, 2015, 9:26 AM

To be fair to the CFP Committee, OSU's loss was to open the season. They went on a 12-game win streak after that and obliterated a fairly good Wisconsin team in their conference championship game. Then they won the playoff, pretty much confirming their right to be in it. No?

There's a difference between losing early in the season and righting the ship compared to losing later, exposing your team as not as good as people thought.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, Losses are losses

Oct 20, 2015, 10:33 AM

I was thinking if OSU lost a game this year, the committee would find a way to justify it to keep them in the playoff. Also, a loss is a loss, early or late they should be taken into consideration. If they aren't, why even play the games? We could just say that the more popular teams that everyone is familiar with all take turns going to the playoffs and the rest of us just hope for an invite to the peach bowl.

Spin it anyway you want too but that ONE on the loss

Dec 22, 2015, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, Losses are losses ]

side of the ledger means the same thing. You LOST.

This is not coot Brad Edwards, it's Bama Brad Edwards.

Oct 20, 2015, 4:47 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN: Apparently losses are not really losses any more ]

Coot Brad Edwards is an AD at some college.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: This is not coot Brad Edwards, it's Bama Brad Edwards.

Oct 20, 2015, 5:03 PM

He's coot-ish. I know he's not a scar grad, but a coot is a coot.

Does that mean Clemson should get extra credit for

Oct 20, 2015, 9:34 AM

winning by 2 points in a monsoon?

You would think, but NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oct 20, 2015, 9:38 AM

In order for Edwards to have made any sense whatsoever, you would have to assume he implied ND would win 10 out of 10 in good weather. The only reason we beat them was they had to play in a monsoon.

Go figure.

What a coot.

ESPiN????????

Oct 20, 2015, 9:35 AM

Michigan has 2 losses - both at home. They more than likely will not win their division.

Notre Dame doesn't play a conference championship game.

ESPiN has an agenda.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: ESPN: "A LOSS isn't always a LOSS for EVERYBODY"

Oct 20, 2015, 10:06 AM

ND didn't lose to Clemson-those idiots rate that as a win for ND. They played in a rain storm. We played them with blue shies overhead. The whole concept was laughable. Dismiss losses for some teams, penalize others. Michigan choked, folded like a lawn chair, just simple blew it. We struggled on the road against Louisville, yet other teams get credit for a tough road win.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:14 AM

The more we win, the more sensitive and intolerable our fringe fans get. If we lose to Miami in OT on a bad call, but blast everyone on our schedule, and Miami finishes strong... that would be a "good" loss. Having beaten FSU and the Coastal champ, we'd be in the conversation in December. No one is out to get you. Imagine being a TCU or Baylor fan.

Take the tin foil off your heads and enjoy this ride.

Fringe fan? If you want to call a fan of 36 years fringe...

Oct 20, 2015, 10:24 AM

then OK.

When an ESPN reporter says, "A loss isn't always a loss for everybody." it's concerning.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Fringe fan? If you want to call a fan of 36 years fringe...

Oct 20, 2015, 10:27 AM

> then OK.
>
> When an ESPN reporter says, "A loss isn't always a
> loss for everybody." it's concerning.

And if we're the eventual beneficiary of that attitude (like we have been in bowl selection a dozen times), everyone will rejoice.

Oct 20, 2015, 10:29 AM

Yeah we really got a break last ? Good grief

Oct 20, 2015, 10:40 AM

Raise your hand if you remember a 6-5 clemson team going to the Peach bowl over an 8 win GT team. An 8 win Clemson team going to the Peach over an ncsu team that beat us head to head and had a similar record? Went to a better bowl than BC 3 years where they beat us H2H and had a better season? There's no one on our schedule last year that we beat who went to a better bowl than us.

GameDay has visited us twice in a season. They've been here a lot in general.

Win and we're in... lose one in the fashion beat to death in this conversation, and our name is still in the hat.

Reeeellaaaaxxxx.

Did you accuse someone of being a Fringe fan?

Oct 20, 2015, 11:07 AM [ in reply to Re: Fringe fan? If you want to call a fan of 36 years fringe... ]

How old are you, son.

There was a day when bowl committees broke backs to get Clemson. Contracts were written to favor us because we were given break on our losses? Are you friggin kidding me?

Son, our fans traveled. The only favors we've ever gotten were because Clemson Fans would spend the holidays and a ton of two-dollar bills in Florida when our conference mates went to grandmaws.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Did you accuse someone of being a Fringe fan?

Oct 20, 2015, 11:33 AM

> How old are you, son.
>
> There was a day when bowl committees broke backs to
> get Clemson. Contracts were written to favor us
> because we were given break on our losses? Are you
> friggin kidding me?
>
> Son, our fans traveled. The only favors we've ever
> gotten were because Clemson Fans would spend the
> holidays and a ton of two-dollar bills in Florida
> when our conference mates went to grandmaws.

Yep, Gameday coming twice last year, and giving us a free 3 hour nationwide promotion, had everything to do with our traveling fans right?

Not everyone is out to get you, deprive you, overlook you... you create your own success.

Re: Did you accuse someone of being a Fringe fan?

Oct 20, 2015, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Did you accuse someone of being a Fringe fan? ]

> The only favors we've ever
> gotten were because Clemson Fans would spend the
> holidays and a ton of two-dollar bills..

Btw, better call ESPN and Musberger for the stadium & Hill whiparound. They must've forgotten no one is allowed to do us favors.

If they want to give ND credit for only losing by 2, I'm

Oct 20, 2015, 11:04 AM

fine with that, also Michigan has 2 losses now. Clemson keeps winning, and ND keeps winning, that's fine by me if they bump ND up a little higher.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'm sick of everyone saying Notre Dame was a 2pt

Oct 20, 2015, 11:08 AM

conversion away from winning. They would have only TIED the game. These people are idiots.

Yep... and I've heard it from several ESPiN commentators***

Oct 20, 2015, 12:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are ESPN analysts already hyping Alabama

Oct 20, 2015, 11:24 AM

as a playoff team regardless of their earlier loss.

Those same individuals did the same thing last year.

How Alabama is currently ahead of Florida is beyond me.***

Nov 4, 2015, 12:34 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 11:44 AM

And everyoneg gets participation trophies, smdh, Go Tigers!

Oct 20, 2015, 11:44 AM

The main thing about the ND loss - is that as long as we keep winning, it doesn't make that loss look as bad. People are starting to realize we're legit and the home field advantage in Death Valley is as tough as it gets.

Still though, ND fans refuse to accept they were beaten by a better team. Last night on my way home from work, a guy had called into Packer and was saying how "we (ND) won the 4th quarter" and Packer ended it with "yea, but you lost the first 3". And we came up with big stops when we needed to - we were playing not to lose and that's exactly what we did. They're a great team, no doubt - but we just happened to be better.

Oct 20, 2015, 11:48 AM

ESPN is getting what they want...lots of eyeballs based on stirring the pot and reinforcing the 'conspiracy theories' held of them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2015, 12:19 PM

They are doing this for Saban ., He will pitch a hissy fit if Alabama is left out .,
I bet he pitched one when he saw old miss lose ., again

Oct 20, 2015, 12:26 PM

Someone alert the brass at ESPN that someone just now accidentally put DW on the NCAAF front page next to (gasp) LSU and Bama players. Even had the nerve to say CU-FSU is a playoff elimination game. Clearly a mistake bc they have an agenda against us.

I don't really think they have singled out Clemson

Oct 20, 2015, 4:34 PM

But, if you think they don't try to influence the final four teams, you are naive, or haven't paid attention. I stand by that saying, "A loss isn't always a loss for everybody," is a dangerous statement without qualifiers.

--Henry David Thoreau

JUST WIN........................Period!

Oct 20, 2015, 4:39 PM

Focus on the present.........Right Dabo?.......Right!

i thought this was already covered

Oct 20, 2015, 5:02 PM

lose early and it's OK, lose late and it's the worst loss in history.

what am i missing?

Nobody remembers last year ... ???

Oct 20, 2015, 8:26 PM

Yes - the committee looks at the "overall body of work" which means your loss is going to be graded for style. And - mark this down - they learned some lessons about keeping FSU at #1 all year, when they shouldn't have been. The same applies to OU this year. If they do their job, no way they list OU at #1. We'll see if they're legit. I'm not buying it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't Brad play for Usuck?***

Oct 20, 2015, 8:44 PM

:Didn't Brad play for Usuck?***Never heard of "Bama Brad"?***

Oct 20, 2015, 8:47 PM

Re: :Didn't Brad play for Usuck?***Never heard of "Bama Brad"?***

Oct 20, 2015, 11:06 PM

http://espnmediazone.com/us/bios/brad-edwards/

--Henry David Thoreau

Oct 20, 2015, 9:51 PM

The committee already proved they will overlook a bad loss for "certain" teams.

Ohio State had no business in the playoffs.... They lost to a bad VT team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 20, 2015, 11:08 PM

That's true. I just never thought ESPN would get bold enough to actually say that a 'loss isn't always a loss for everybody.'

--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 4, 2015, 12:31 PM

That seed was planted weeks ago, but only certain teams get the loss due to circumstance pass. We were ripped for getting by Louisville when the fact is, we played a Saturday game and then had to turn around, travel and play them Thursday night. We lost over 1000 yards of production from our best receiver, due to injury, yet this is rarely mentioned.

I guess Clemson played in sunny 77 degree...

Nov 4, 2015, 12:33 PM

on Oct 3 against ND???? Also, that game was just as close to being a blowout as it did ending up close due to a late ND run. Artavis catches that TD pass and it is 28-3 and OVER! Unfortunately he did not and ND grabbed some late momentum. However, they still LOST!

That's why it's great that espn bozos are not on the

Nov 4, 2015, 1:08 PM

committee.

Nov 4, 2015, 1:14 PM

"If losses don't matter, why play the games." Only thing I ever heard Lee Corso say that made sense. Go Tigers!

Dec 22, 2015, 5:51 AM

The thought that a loss could be considered acceptable or " good " is totally erroneous, and anyone that believes otherwise needs help removing their head from their own Spurrier .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 22, 2015, 7:44 AM

Why are you responding to a thread that started two months ago?

Hey, you did the same thing!***

Dec 22, 2015, 8:31 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So did you!***

Dec 22, 2015, 9:02 AM

Espinheads are still grieving losing their predictions - LET

Dec 22, 2015, 8:59 AM

IT GO, you were wrong, it is over, now stand up and admit it: CLEMSON IS A GREAT TEAM! Or will it take a NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? Also, Brad Edwards is a former coot is he not?

Life is so much better when you don't give E$PN any

Dec 22, 2015, 9:15 AM

credence .... like listening to BHO, Josh Earnest, and Hillary Clinton.

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Replies: 70
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic