Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Freshmen quarterbacks have been successful
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1,552

Freshmen quarterbacks have been successful

Apr 8, 2018, 9:26 AM

All around the country In college for almost a decade now. It’s not like it was 15-20 years ago when freshman struggled 90% of the time. Freshman quarterbacks have won the Heisman Trophy for goodness sakes. So I’m sick of hearing about how Lawrence is a freshman I do not care. He’s better

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Freshmen quarterbacks have been successful

Apr 8, 2018, 9:48 AM

Yeah it really is a lot different than it used to be. I think that’s true of a lot of positions. Harder for OL and backers. It also helps a bunch what offense you played in hs too.

It’s a little unfortunate last year that we couldn’t put many teams away early until the end of the year, to where we could have played HJ more often in the first half of games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2018, 10:06 AM

It’s has nothing to being young or a freshman. It has more to do with if the offensive system at their college program parallels the one that they came of high school playing and/or if the freshman qb has the skills/ability to learn quickly and adapt immediately.
It takes time to learn all new plays, connect with your line and receivers, receiving plays from our cue cards, tons of things. Sometimes an inferior passer may be a better fit because he knows exactly what renfrow is gonna do or where he is gonna be, or what play is being called and why. He may have knowledge of a opposing defense from playing them previously.

It’s not as simple as who is the better overall qb.

Yes, but Tua replacing experienced Hurts to win it all

Apr 8, 2018, 1:45 PM

for Bama displaces your hypothesis ... Fromm did OK for a true freshman as well.

Success with freshman QB's requires coaching them up. Bama and UGA coaches did it last year with true freshman and both ended up in the natl championship game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2018, 1:51 PM

No true freshman has won the Heisman

Apr 8, 2018, 1:57 PM

"Freshman quarterbacks have won the Heisman Trophy for goodness sakes."

Umm who?

Jameis & Johnny Football won Heismans as RS freshmen

Apr 8, 2018, 2:05 PM

True freshman Jake Fromm took UGA to the natl championship and true freshman Tua won it almost single-handedly for Bama with huge 2nd half.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jameis & Johnny Football won Heismans as RS freshmen

Apr 8, 2018, 2:41 PM

"Jameis & Johnny Football won Heismans as RS freshmen"

So they weren't freshmen...

Apr 8, 2018, 2:12 PM

All around the country In college for almost a decade now. It’s not like it was 15-20 years ago when freshman struggled 90% of the time. Freshman quarterbacks have won the Heisman Trophy for goodness sakes. So I’m sick of hearing about how Lawrence is a freshman I do not care. He’s better

It APPEARS that you are probably correct.

Right now, early returns are - Lawrence is killing it. Heard it from about a dozen different places now and while I haven't gotten into practice yet I did lay eyes on Lawrence a couple times last year and I thought even then that our incumbent QB's might have a problem on their hands.

Lawrence apparently has arm talent like nobody has ever seen before - his ability to adjust, place, and drop the ball in, plus the fact that you can literally draw your plays on longer paper with him - makes him a unique problem and is apparently a big part of the reason why Venables has spent so much time foaming at the mouth this Spring. Plus he's apparently shockingly mobile to boot - again, which anybody who watched his HS film could have told you. When he decided to pull it down and run with it, Lawrence can run like a deer.

Also hearing Johnson and Brice have done really well in their own regards, and that our fleet of WR's has been equally impressive. That helps too.

That said, even if it turns out Lawrence is Tom Brady and Peyton Manning and John Elway all rolled up into one, there's zero chance the coaches will (or can) talk publicly about it now. We have a whole summer and then Fall camp to get guys through healthy. We have a senior QB who at the very least has earned the right to walk FIRST out onto the field and prove he can get it done this September. If Lawrence starts at some point this year - and he well might - it will be when he proves definitively he's the better option for all to see...and not before then.

Vets need to know their hard work earns them that first look.

Young guys need to know they'll start if they prove they're better.

The trick for a coach, as ever, is finding that right balance...or you risk mass transfers and the chemistry in your locker room.

I think the coaches will get it right. They've gotten most else right thus far, you know?

Replies: 8
| visibility 1,552
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic